430 - First ever wash - Anxious | FerrariChat

430 First ever wash - Anxious

Discussion in '360/430' started by Evotion, Jul 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Evotion

Evotion Karting

Feb 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Adrian Elford
    Well; had the car a week and it is pretty dirty.
    Is it normal to get so much dirt and tar on the side sills right up to the lower duct? By far the worse areas affected.

Anyway, my anxiety is worrying about the paint quality.

I am already thinking of:

Wheels:
    1. Rinse
    2. Spray with wheel cleaner and leave for 1 minute
    3. Agitate if required
    4. Rinse
    Body
    1. Gentle rinse
    2. Foam cannon
    3. Gentle rinse
    4. Foam cannon and bit of agitation
    5. Gentle rinse
    6. Air dry
    7. Window cleaner, if required, on all glass including engine cover

Do I foam and rinse the vents above the engine and also the other larger vents on the side of the car or should I avoid getting too much water in the engine bay itself?

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance. Why is the very first wash so scary :)

2. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Nothing scary about washing a car… don’t overthink. I just rinse, use a bucket with soap and water and a microfiber sponge and sponge it off, then rinse then dry with micro fiber towels. And no, that much dirt and tar is not normal for my car. Rarely ever see any tar.

the side vents have a drain so no need to worry about water getting in them. The engine vents just drip down on the water channel on the covers inside and are also designed to handle water so not really a big deal to get wet when washing. I wouldn’t put the hose up close and blast either of them but normal washing and rinse is no issue.

3. Evotion

Evotion Karting

Feb 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Adrian Elford
    ok, cool,. will do the wash later on today.

4. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    brookliner7 and Evotion like this.
  5. Evotion

Evotion Karting

Feb 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Adrian Elford
    Yeah, great. I hear so many stories and the dealer carried out paint correction on the car and it looks like new!

Waiting for the sun to disappear :)

6. Johnv10

Johnv10 Rookie

Jun 16, 2018
    Boerne Texas
    Full Name:
    John Hackett
    I foam my engine bay routinely to keep it clean. Detailing brushes for all of the intricate parts. No fear. Just make sure you dry it out completely. I use a Air Force master blaster to blow it dry and touch up with a microfiber towel. Then start the car and let it get to operating temperature with the rear deck lid open. I leave the lid open overnight if I’m not going to drive it. I have a video on my Instagram account of me doing it.
    @Petrolheadtexas

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Evotion likes this.
  7. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I followed this closely and was very pleased with the results

I would recommend placing towels under the engine hatch vents to catch any water that comes through So it doesn't trickle down onto engine and electrical bits

https://fb.watch/ex7YpmYNLs/

Evotion likes this.
  8. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think we’ve suffered more from tar in the UK recently because it’s been so bloody hot and the roads have melted a bit. My Mercedes is covered in the stuff.

Evotion likes this.
  9. Evotion

Evotion Karting

Feb 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Adrian Elford
    Ah, I will check it out. Thanks.

That was my thinking. Roads cannot cope.

10. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I do a garage bucket wash with just clean water, never really much more than dust on the car from my rides.

11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've had my car for three years and three thousand miles and have yet to wash it with water. For some magical reason, it stays clean.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Beautiful! Ceramic coat by chance? My 360 had that applied a couple of years ago so I think that helps with my surface cleaning with just fresh water and a big sponge and chamois dry.

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Recently got an F430 black spider. Got it last Oct. Came with a detail from the dealer (waxed for sure). Over the last 10 months no dirt to speak of just light dust. I just buff it occasionally with McGuires quick detail spray and a microfiber towel and it looks perfect.

14. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Black is the worst color ... to keep clean. Swirl mark heaven.

15. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    ... and never use a sponge to wash your car. Always a soft brush of some kind. Sponges tend to absorb the sand and dust on them, and drive it on the surface, creating small swirl marks... don't believe me until you will.

I love this boar brush, the hair is extremely soft and still strong enough to hold when wet... unfortunately it has tripled in price in the past year or so

https://www.autogeek.net/boar-hair-brush.html

Else just use a soft car brush from amazon, I used this one for years:

https://www.amazon.com/Carrand-93062-Deluxe-Brush-Extension/dp/B00HFL4CK6/ref=asc_df_B00HFL4CK6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312105316935&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10975275962790542062&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002082&hvtargid=pla-491762935904&psc=1

I used to own a detail shop back in another life, did ceramic coatings, detailing, leather restoration, etc.

16. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Since we are on detailing I only use Micro fibers towels from the rag company. Along with there micro fiber sponge for washing in a 2 bucket method. Most of my stuff I get at obsessed garage. Detail products have come along way.

Mel Spillman likes this.
  17. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The sponge and the chamois are used once and thrown in the wash for the next buggy bath.

18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I tried to run my 360 through an automated wash one time. The staff said, (and I quote): You. Have lost. Your mind. :-D

tomw and colorfull like this.