Power plug for radar detector in my 360 | FerrariChat

Power plug for radar detector in my 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by drcripp, Aug 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    Hello all, my 360 has a socket that's too small to fit the standard power plug on my Uniden R7 radar detector that normally fits into a cigarette lighter on American cars. The plug just jumps out of the socket. The Uniden won't run on a USB connected to a battery. Does anyone have any idea what I can find that will convert this European socket to something useful. I don't want to hardwire it.

Thanks in advance

2. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Get an adaptor.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you saying the Ferrari socket is not standard? Or is it just a bad fit due to wear and tear? Sometimes I have to wiggle the plug on an accessory to get good contact with my cigarette lighter, but the cigarette lighter is a regular type. Does your Uniden plug fit in other cars?

4. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    Yes, the plug fits my other US car. The plug doesn't seem to get all the way into the socket, no matter how pushed. It pops out after a few minutes of use. I would like to find some kind of adapter but don't know what kind. There is a USB slot on the Uniden R7 but it won't run when attached to an external battery. Is there a special kind of adapter?

5. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    You can get a new lighter for about $20, my old one only worked with constant pressure. That said, won't power my gps for some reason (but does power other lower powered devices)

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I have that issue too, but I just put it down to wear and tear. I only use the lighter to check battery voltage, so it's not that critical for me.

At this point, other than changing your lighter as Michael suggested or trying to fit a different plug on your Uniden, I can't think of any simple solution.

7. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I never liked having something plugged into the center console on my F430, so I installed a power outlet with a few USB ports under the dash in the passenger footwell. Fused it and wired to the battery so it is always powered (sure you could find a switched source as well). Attached it with some velcro. Keeps the radar detector cord out of the way.

mferrari43 and Qavion like this.
  8. mferrari43

mferrari43 Karting

Jan 23, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ferrari
    I have a 360 and was thinking about doing this, how did you run the wires? Is it possible to just use the existing cigarette lighter wires and run them under the carpet to the footwell?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. mferrari43

mferrari43 Karting

Jan 23, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ferrari