Would you trade your 3x8 for a newer Ferrari? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Would you trade your 3x8 for a newer Ferrari?

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrigioGuy, Jul 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Nope. Love my carbs, love to heel and toe through the gears... barely use half the engine capacity (apart from track days which I haven’t done since I injured some vertebrae) so no reason to ‘upgrade’. Plus it’s prettier than most modern cars and fits me like a glove - new cars are all way too big.

Dane, Rosey and absostone like this.
  2. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I have more leg room in the 308 than in my Roma.

Rosey and kerrari like this.
  3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I've had the privilege to drive many new Ferrari's but hopping back into that amazing sculpture that PF & Bertone created, I wouldn't trade - ever! The pure machinery with gated shifter is perfect. There's plenty of cars with all kinds of performance, but the passion for machinery and design all crafted by hand doesn't nearly balance the scale from some stopwatch data. The 308 will make 140+ which is plenty fast and gets to 60 or 100 without struggle or drama, but lots of symphonic bliss. I just look at the bodies on those cars and appreciate the shape. It's fun to see them in different lighting / various body colors / intriguing backgrounds to observe different styling effects.

rocket50, Mark C Harvey and lm2504me like this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    but another 100 hp would be nice!

5. LB427SC

LB427SC Karting

Aug 5, 2021
    Wales, UK
    Full Name:
    Lloyd Barnes
    I'd find it incredibly hard to sell my 308, although the engine note on a 355 is so intoxicating. I guess I'll have to persuade SWMBO that another Ferrari would be a great investment!? :)

6. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    I'm happy where I am. I have a 1999 355 with a manual transmission, and it represents the perfect balance of modern fuel injection and ABS, and older, proven technology. My best friend had a 430 Spider, then a 458. His widow loaned me the latter and it was just too fast. It's capabilities were way beyond what a public road could accommodate, and it brought out the worst qualities in my personality regarding other drivers in inferior convenances. I do all my own maintenance, including belt services without engine removal in keeping with Ratarossa's procedures, and I find it to be the zenith of styling and driving experience. Fast enough to inspire but not to scare. It's a daily driver that's so fun, I ask my wife if she needs anything from the store. Very reliable and satisfying.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No.

(OK, I no longer have mine, but the new ones lost the classic Italian feel and the exotic proportions.)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    If money were no object, a 458 could tempt me away from the QV, but only after a long conversation with myself. I have a dedicated track car, so I’m over the need to prove how stupid I am on the street, but a few more prancing horses under the 308’s hood would be welcome. And while not anti-paddles, a manual trans does involve the driver in different ways providing a different - and important to me - type of satisfaction. For that reason alone I’d probably pass on the 458.
    In the reality of “Money IS an object”, a 355 might be interesting. With its elevated horsepower and minimal tech, it might provide my personal sweet spot. The only sticking point with the 355 is giving-up the 308’s timeless design.
    Who knows, maybe some of Nick’s go-fast goodies for the 308 would be the best of both worlds. ‍♂️

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I’ve spec’d both a Lotus Emira and a Cayman GTS 4.0 as possible replacements for the 328……

Haven’t pulled the trigger.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NYC Fred and Harry-SZ like this.
  10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well the deceiving thing about this thread is that it asks “trade” as in no cash out of pocket, just drive over there in the 308, leave the keys and drive home in the ???

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    My 328 is probably one of the highest-mileage ones in my state, and I could sell it for enough to get a 360F1 coupe, a high-mile 430F1 coupe, or possibly a California in an off-color. So yeah, it's effectively a trade.

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    My "dream" ferrari in '08 when I bought my 328 was a 355 but I couldn't afford a 355 at that time and the 328 was my number 2 Ferrari choice. Based on your post, sounds like I could swap my 328 for that 355! Hmm, wonder if I still want one...do their air conditioners work!:rolleyes:

13. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Dang it! I am considering selling my 328 but this thread has me questioning the thought. Not looking to upgrade. Just don't have the time that I want to drive as much as I want.

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You're likely following the market more closely than I am, but I've never thought I could acquire any of those newer Ferrari's for an "even" swap. Maybe I should look more closely! :)

The reality for me is, when I sell the 328, I wont' jump into another Ferrari. My producing years are coming to an end and I won't deal with the maintenance costs when I'm retire. Plus, I'd like to be a little more comfortable. :D

15. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
  16. surfdwn

surfdwn Karting

Sep 28, 2005
    Freeport, Fl
    I would not trade my 328 for any more modern Ferrari. I love everything bout it. I would, however, add a 355 if I could. On the other hand, I would trade backwards for a Boxer, which, along with the Lambo Miura, is my all time favorite car.

17. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    for that I converted my other gtb. Added a turbo ( 100psextra) and reduced the weight by a whopping 360kg. Power to weight ratio like a newer one but still a 308
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

trading it for a newer? No newer F will provide the joy a 3x8 can. Not even mentioning the design: it is simply unbeateble

NYC Fred likes this.
  18. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You know come to think of it, I will trade my 308 QV for a La Ferrari then sell it and buy three or four 308, one of each kind.
    A Vetroresina
    208 Turbo
    76 or 78 GTB
    then buy my QV back :)

Dane likes this.
  19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    thorn likes this.
  20. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
  21. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Never.

And I own the 'Dog of the Bunch.'

An '81 GTSi.

Marrone Met

22. John A. Muller

John A. Muller Karting

Apr 16, 2022
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Full Name:
    John A. Muller

23. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area

But what a pretty dog...

24. John A. Muller

John A. Muller Karting

Apr 16, 2022
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Full Name:
    John A. Muller
    Wow...a dog? I have owned a '80 GTBi for the past 37.5 yrs and liked it so much I just finished an extensive refurbishing of the car. You are welcomed to visit and discuss the upside of GTBi/GTSi ownership. It is difficult to find a car as attractive as the 308 model. In any event, enjoy your car.

25. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Yep.

:)