Maserati Khamsin | Page 420 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Automatic eggplant, best grilled with some virgin olive oil, parmesan, salty pepper and touch of lemon juice. Oh wait I forgot that this has wheels ... never mind ...
    Total resto-mod with a really nice modern automatic or manual.

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hahahah this it is the car that was unsold at the Bonhams Monterey auction 11 months ago because of a really poor catalog text and also because of how it is. It had lived very secluded in Oregon or somewhere in those parts, obviously because the owners had never heard of a Euro bumper kit and instead ordered their shop to paint the bumpers....

it was then bought post auction by Gullwing who very quickly sold it to someone in Europe as has been the pattern for decades... but clearly the funds ran out before the resto started....

3. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The two articles the car featured in at the time were some of the very few on K's in those days. The owner was a very colourful character who answered he could afford the car because he did not waste his money at the pub (though he did not put it so politely :D).

I saw the car at McGrath's April 2019, it is a very decent car to enjoy and now thoroughly sorted out by Andy Heywood and his team.

series1 likes this.
  5. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    393 is now back in the land of the living.....

Attached Files:

6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    this is 1st Khamsin I’ve seen where the hydraulic lines on the rack are also painted green.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Neil fantastic work and many congratulations exactly five years to the month after you bought it!

For everyone else this is a car that had been part for about 25 years so yes it was in limbo.

All that was known about it was that it had been owned by a Rick Lee ad was refrecned as such in the UK club database in 2001.

Did you go for original colors or personal choice?

Interestingly another RHD, 375 which is a project available for anyone who is very ambitious as it is quite rusty, has the same colors: see below.

In any case case I hope you join us at KHAMSIN CINQUANTA June 15-18 next year!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

LightGuy likes this.
  8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am trying to determine, without having to pull the alternator from the engine, if the Khamsin alternator has an external or internal regulator. If it has an external regulator ... where is it hidden?

Ivan

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #10484 Nembo1777, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Some of you may recall the ex Sultan of Brunei K 333 subsequently very heavily modified. It has an Australian Holden V8 engine since the original broke early in the car's life after which it sat for decades in a dark corner in the Sultan's collection until it was decided most likely by the Sultan's spendthrift brother Jeffri Bolkiah to do the modifications. The car after passing through New Zealand ended up with UK dealer DD Classics.

Well in the middle of Le Mans Classic weekend early July I received an email from an English enthusiast stating that he had just bought it. He was interested in coming to KAHMSIN CINQUANTA June 15-18 next year near Geneva Switzerland.
    I tried encouraging him to bring it back to original condition, sourcing a Khamsin engine.

However he has had some tuned Panteras, likes modified cars and has decided to enjoy the car as is which is his right and I wished him much enjoyment. Needless to say if his car showed up at KHAMSIN CINQUANTA Maserati Classiche staff would have a collective heart attack so he did not make a fuss and fully understood that the car cannot come which was good of him. Some of you in the UK might see it at events.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #10485 staatsof, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    I see that once useful Eurospares website is now of no help in this as a research tool. Their new format may be much cleaner and with far less glitches but it also has lost a lot of very valuable information. :(

However since it shows via part number 107/2 ME 65079 that it's also utilized on the Ghibli then I think you can assume there's no internal regulator. Not such a bad conversion idea though ... put something Delco from the 90's on it with a higher output!

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    It does look to be the same alternator as the Ghibli, which has an external regulator. This leaves the question as to where the heck did they hide the regulator on a Khamsin. I have photos of prior Khamsins with the dash disassembled and I cannot spot the voltage regulator.
    Ivan

12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    From memory that isn’t what it once was, check under glovebox

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I found the voltage regulator, it is to the right of the steering column. The reason I initially did not recognize it as a regulator is someone replaced it with an electronic aftermarket. I though it was a relay for some of the DOT mandated junk these cars have. I replaced it with one the extra Bosch regulators I have and the problem is still present. The voltage drops from around 14 volts to to around 12.5 volts when the AC is on and to about 12 volts when the headlights are also on. That happens even is I rev up the engine so it appears the alternator cannot keep up with the amperage demand. Now I need to figure out if the problem is the alternator not providing enough amperage or the car consuming too much do to perhaps too much electrical resistance. More work to be done ...

Ivan

71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  14. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    ... the regulator is an external type, situated under the dash / foot compartment drivers side. BOSCH.
    good luck.
    Marek

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A mystery sighting at the Nurburging Oldtimer Grand Prix last weekend.

Not sure which it is. It could be 1004 with a bit of a face lift; it already had such wheels but not in gold. It could be 368 redone in Germany but was all nicely done in rosso Cordoba so can't imagine it color changed again.

But my best bet is that it could be 1264 which used to be black red automatic and was repainted gold in Germany in recent years; it does have that type of external mirror though the front lights are different in the last photos I have of it, otherwise it seems to match perfectly...hmmm...anybody?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Yea hate the wheels, btw is the Ghibli Prungia?

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #10492 Nembo1777, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    The Ghibli is off topic and proper spelling is prugnia which is Italian for plum. Looks like Prugnia yes. Further discussion in Ghibli thread please.

The wheels... Just plain wrong, not at all suited to a K, I agree with you:(

18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    you’re on a snit, a typo and a question about the color of a different model Maserati in a photo with a Khamsin in it!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  19. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Those Khamsin wheels are HORRENDOUS, they look like they were stolen from a model T Ford!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Sorry did not mean to be harsh, I wish I could have cut out the Ghibli before posting.

21. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Agreed.
    They are produced by Musketier in Germany, 8J18 and 10J18, way too large and ...unfit Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't mind them. At the time it meant that you could get decent tires easily.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    ‘considering the wheels wish the Ghibli was pulled up further forward to hide them. Besides the Ghibli is stunning in Plum

Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Bob,
    That Bora look familiar? Picture the wheels in Red!

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    no.