Would you buy a modern “Heritage Ferrari” if Ferrari made it? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would you buy a modern “Heritage Ferrari” if Ferrari made it?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by italiafan, Aug 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would you pay a premium for a modern “Heritage Ferrari?”

1. YES

44 vote(s)
    74.6%
  2. NO

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I had a 550 in Grigio Titanio over Bordeaux. Nice car, but no 812.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    At least Porsche has plenty of non-DCT cars these days. But with the modern HP issues these would be a beast to handle. That said, keep it to 500hp and 3200lbs or less and it’s a no brainer.

italiafan and Texas Forever like this.
  3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The problem with a "heritage car " like Aston is doing with the DB5 is that you will dilute the value of the older cars. AND an old car made today cant likely be driven on public roads. So unless you make dedicated old style race cars - I dont see the point.

but just in case Ferrari is reading - I'd like a new 330P4 that I can drive on the street - 500 HP is plenty, but with AC - that works. just as long as the sound is there and the look is there - I'm good.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not sure about the first part. A buyer of an authentic DB5 isn’t going to care about a heritage car, in the same way the Porsche 550 Spyder buyer doesn’t bother with Beck 550 Spyders. Cut Ferrari Daytonas haven’t devalued real Daytona Spyders, etc. Values should be independent.

I agree with you, though, about there being no real point.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

italiafan likes this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I am perfectly fine with the Heritage edition Jaguar D Type and XK-SS, also the Aston Martin Sanction II DB-4 GT Zagato. If Ferrari created something similarly faithful to the original, I'm all for it.

italiafan, miurasv and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    No. I think they’ve got it right. If you want a the vintage or historic experience, there are many great past Ferrari models which can be bought inside this budget, and give you the authentic experience of the time.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

EnzoItaly likes this.
  7. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I agree with this. The problem is that ferrari refuses to support their out of production models. It does not make sense to me since it’s a good revenue source. Maybe they think if they do this, ownership satisfaction and resale values will stay even higher, to the point it will erode new sales.

Bullfighter and Texas Forever like this.
  8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think sadly the reality is Ferrari are not thinking. Since Enzo died - there has been this arrogance that has developed at Ferrari - its intensity arrived during Montezemolo era - winning in F1, road cars in demand - small, exclusive etc... - while the demand has stayed = volumes have gone up. greed has been there with Classiche - but unless you are talking about multi million$ cars - Ferrari is not that interested. they leave that up to the dealers... its about making money Now... that is all that counts.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I love your idea, but I can see some owners of the original cars screaming blasphemy. Also, one of the things that make the heritage cars so special is all the things that are very hard to reproduce in the modern era while still keeping to contemporary crash standards. Now I guess it can be set as a "track only" or "show only" car, but that would remove much of the opportunities in driving them and may relegate it to second citizen status, something that is a faux pas for any Ferrari model.

Every conversation will start with "Is that a real GTO or the recreation?"

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    GTO engineering in the UK can make you a new GTO or really any 250 series car.... with AC and power steering.... all it takes is money and time.

willrace likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    yup -but you're forgetting one critical thing: - you need an old real chassis to begin.

That's how they get away with it. It's restoring an actual older Ferrari - usually, a basket case burned-out husk.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ummmm.... may be? I think they can remake a chassis... and engine, but not call it a Ferrari... but I get what you are saying.

paulchua likes this.
  13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Very true. Mercedes does this, and it makes buying a 280 SL, for example, a perfectly sane option. Porsche is taking it seriously as well, although not every part is available. It likely contributes to the strong prices and brand loyalty.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua and Ffre92 like this.
  14. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #40 paulchua, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Oh yes, but then you get the “is that a *real* California?” As the first thing that Ferrista ask, and you’re back on square one.

and thousands in the hole… to each their own. There was this guy here lauding up badging too…

I’m just a type of guy that would be rather proudly drive a *real* fully restored Mondial 8 then go around town in a fake Pista…just me.

Just like I rather sport a real entry level Patek, the a fake Rolex Daytona.

again, whatever makes you happy.

16. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    .... and considering the stuff that comes out of the Classiche Programme, GTO's product would be head-and-shoulders better than Ferrari's.

spirot likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #42 paulchua, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Yeah, it better be for a million boxes of pasta + the cost of an original Ferrari chassis.

But wait, shouldn't the recreation use the older authentic 60's era manufacturing and forgo any modern conveyance?

Wouldn't 2022-era manufacturing techniques and frame updates dilute the experience?

I certainly don't think so; it's probably is a hoot to drive the replica restoration.

18. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A new 3 pedal Ferrari would definitely get me interested in buying one.

paulchua likes this.
  19. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I think retro styling looks like the cartoon caricatures artists do at fairs.........................

I wouldn't be interested in a heritage edition because the ones offered by other manufactures can't be driven on the roads.