430 - Looking For An Experienced F430 Dash Removal Mechanic | FerrariChat

430 Looking For An Experienced F430 Dash Removal Mechanic

Discussion in '360/430' started by 66ss427, Aug 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I’d like to get some recommendations for the removal and repair of my 2005 F430 dash. I’ve had a set of defroster vents from Rizzo, but never got up the nerve to pull the dash myself. I understand it’s not supposed to be very difficult, but I’m in no mood to do it myself. I’m not in a rush, so I have time to find someone who’s done this before and can set up a date with them, even if it’s many months away.
    The closer to Myrtle Beach, SC the better, but I’d bring it wherever needed.
    Thanks For Your Help,
    Dominic

colorfull likes this.
  2. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Good luck Dominic! I'm interested for same and in the same situation.

66ss427 likes this.
  3. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke

I had Mr Jeff Rallo in Edwardsville IL do my 05 F430 dash R&R. He made a video of the steps using my car.. Recommend him highly if you cant find anyone to do it closer to Myrtle Beach. We have access to a leather upholsterer who did the leather work also with Rizzo vents. Here are the videos. I checked with him and he would be interested in helping you if needed. PM me for contact details if interested.

Sj_engr likes this.
  4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I think there's someone in Naples Florida who can do this. Blackhorse in Naples would know. Just so far away for you tho. I'd like to do this at some point as well. I don't think it's to difficult just time consuming. The biggest part of it that scares me would be messing up the clockspring. The word itself scares me:eek:

5. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    This is certainly a great start. Thanks for the information.
    If they’re the only recommendations that I get, so be it. I would have the car shipped both ways.
    I refuse to have it done by someone that is capable, but has never done it before !!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Again Men !!!

6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Also there is a guy in Naples who does great work with Ferrari interiors. He actually has a set of sports seats of mine right now and he can do your dash.

7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have a guy here in Santa Clarita, CA that did mine and another Forum members 599. He also has the connection to have the dash recovered in the correct leather with the correct thread and threads per inch. All things to look out for when hiring someone to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

colorfull likes this.
  8. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Nice 'thread' add

How often do you get to make that joke :)

EastMemphis likes this.
  9. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I only posted that because the first time a “highly respected interior shop” recovered my dash and they got the threads per inch incorrect. It looked terrible and I had to tear off the newly installed leather and have my wife take it back to them and beg for my $900 back.

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Hey Dominic

Send.it to NJ and have Classic coach do it ..it definitely will cost more but after what you been thru i think getting right is more important than money

Dominick

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

11. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Good Evening Men & thanks for the added recommendations.
    I think California will be a little to far. LOL
    I tried to get a good picture, but the lighting wasn’t helpful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I don’t think the leather needs changing as it doesn’t look to have shrunk too much. We’ll just have to see when the time comes.

Hey Dominick,
    I really like your idea. I can pay you a visit, you can pick it up after it’s all done and give it a once over and drive it back to me !!! While you’re here, we can get a big ole steak out. YUM !!!
    Then fly home. WHAT A PLAN !!!
    Thank You,
    Dominic

12. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Wow amazing videos. Went from "no prob" to "ok yeah" to "crud" to "at least I have this video" with the plans to do those center vents myself.

I'm still thinking there is a way to pop out the originals and glue down the improved metal ones without taking out the dash if your leather is fine.

13. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    The primary reason for the metal vents is to hold down the leather to prevent it from pulling away from the front of the dash. If the leather is OK now, it will shrink sooner or later. While the dash in the 66ss427 photo is not bad yet, it will be because the pucker in front of the round sensor is the first tell tale that the leather is shrinking and pulling back.
    Gluing down the vent will not prevent the leather from shrinking back which is why the plastic vents popped up to begin with. The dash must be removed to pull the leather forward, drill mounting holes, and bolt down the vents to hopefully stop the leather from pulling back as it shrinks. I did that a couple of years ago and it worked just fine but now the leather is starting to pull away from the cockpit side of the dash. Pulling the dash will be easier the 2nd time.

14. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #14 kenneyd, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    "If your leather is fine".... If your vents are broken, then your leather is not fine.
    I don't think there's any way to pop out and re-glue them, the leather has been shrunk up there and there is no way to have them reattach other than just flapping around on a flappy piece of leather. I use the above dash removal video as a guide I also made a vent replacement video

I also highly recommend having the windshield tinted while you have the dash out. I went with Lamar's formula 1 strato 70. It's virtually clear, but provides many times more protection than even 5% limo tint. This hopefully will keep my dash weather healthy and cool so I never have to do this again

15. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    All good information !!!
    It’s not that I’m not capable, it’s that I no longer want to do the work. I spoke to a few shops and really like Classic Coach in Jersey. I’ll have them give the car a complete checkup and do the dash work. If the dash needs new leather, that’ll be their call. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and when the job is done, I’ll revive the thread !!!
    Dominic

16. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Good luck Dominic, would really like to hear how it goes. They are nearby and when I'm ready, they'd be my best first option.

17. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Sounds good. I’ll have to pay ya a visit !!! I figured getting everything and anything needed, done at the same time at one shop would work well for me. Time will tell if something is needed sooner than a year from now, but if not, a year it’ll be !!!
    Later !!!

colorfull likes this.
  18. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    You're most welcome to visit, that'd be great!

Best,

John

19. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I am curious how much a shop would charge for this? It was a lot of work lol

20. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Order the new billet vents from RIZZO now. He’s in Australia and it takes several weeks to get them.

21. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Hey Dominic, if timing becomes an issue, you can use my set and replace them, I have them already, new in box

22. bocaspyder360

bocaspyder360 Karting

Jan 18, 2008
    wow that does not look like a fun project.

23. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    got a quote of $6k with new leather and stitching.

24. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    If you need vents guys I have new stock in. Shipping time is 7-10 days to USA via DHL.
    cheers

25. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Wow, then it was definately worth it.
    I'm not sure the threshold of when the leather is to far gone, but on mine it was quite shrunk. But like you see in the video, after applying leatherique oil for a week, it was literally like brand new.
    I was also very happy I was able to keep my leather original
    Total cost was just the Rizzo vents