Even Car & Driver couldn't spot an A3/C ringer at The Quail | FerrariChat

Even Car & Driver couldn't spot an A3/C ringer at The Quail

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Sep 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I would expect the major car magazines like Car & Driver to be able to tell the copies from the real thing but i n this C & D website story on Monterey they seem to think this is a built-in-the-Sixties Iso Grifo A3/C but in truth it was built by German fan who had started building a half dozen replicas before his death. His son entered this one. Workmanship is superb. Oh and C &D said the A3/C was a street car. That was the Competition sr, the A3/L was the street version. And i can't blame them for being fooled--I was so enamored of it I already made n oil painting of it.

Said C & D

Back at the track, we ogled the radical Chaparral 2E and marveled at the Iso Grifo A3C. Iso’s street cars are rare—around 400 were made, but the A3C is one of only about 20, and if it gives you some idea of how marvelous this week is for car people, there are two here this week.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Good catch. Sadly the compressed time schedule for posting to the web means few things get checked as rigorously as they should. Even if Car and Driver has someone on staff that knows the difference, they may not be reviewing everything that gets posted.