Will non-catted exhaust fit a TR with a cat ? | FerrariChat

Will non-catted exhaust fit a TR with a cat ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Elberoth, Sep 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elberoth

Elberoth Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I can buy a lightly used aftermarket exhaust for a non-catted TR.

Is it possible to install it on a 1991 TR with a cat? (after removing the cats)

If the downpipes are the same, that sould be possible me thinks. I may need to well the lambda hookup points (or remove the secondary lambda sensors with cat-ECU completely), but that is not a big issue.

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A picture of the exhaust system would help, but it should likely fit okay - if you remove the Cats from your TR. You will need to keep the Oxygen Sensors so hopefully there are bungs for installing those. But you will not need the Thermocouple Probes anymore, these can be removed.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Sep 26, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    I would say "no" as the exhaust headers are quite different -- the non-cat headers are much longer with not staggered outlets:

non-cat:
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/testarossa-tr-90/019-exhaust-system-(for-b1-rhd1-version)

with precats & cats:
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/testarossa-tr-90/020-exhaust-system-(for-us-sa-and-cat-version)

A couple of other things that might be issues:

I think the rear exhaust grills are also different -- i.e., the tailpipe outlets might be in different places, but haven't looked for photos.

and

The 4-piece non-cat silencer may interfere with the charcoal canisters on a US TR.

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As Steve points out there are major differences between the Euro and USA exhaust systems - you can't mix-n-match these. I was assuming both systems were for the same market....sorry...... :-/

5. Elberoth

Elberoth Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks guys, the exhaust manifolds are indeed different.