328 carpet replace / Atlanta area? | FerrariChat

328 carpet replace / Atlanta area?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by ducowti, Sep 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Looking for an automotive carpet installer in the Atlanta area qualified to replace interior carpet in a 328. Being esoteric this isn't something for which a google search will be very productive, hoping someone has experience or knowledge of a reputable operation.

Thanks for any recommendations.

2. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
  3. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks Dave, very helpful. Their estimate, for anyone else considering this project, with the available kit and min labor is aroundn $4,100.

AbarthDave1 likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #4 Rifledriver, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    For $1200 GAHH sells a carpet kit for a 328 with correct carpet in correct colors And it fits quite well. I have installed them myself and not a big deal.

Reoriginals also offers interior kits that are very correct. Their carpet kit is $1840 and made in Italy.

Heel pads, edging, fit all correct.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  5. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks Brian. May give that a shot. Day or two labor for a competent lad?

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes, its pretty easy. Shop around and find really good glue.

7. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I have used Tim's Auto Upholstery for decades, they are the best and do Ferraris all the time. He did the interior of my Porsche and my Ferrari. Tim is the BEST!

8. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    The leather on my dash has gotten embarrassing, Tim's Auto do that kind of work too? I can't find a website for them, I'm looking for someone in the North Atlanta/Alpharetta area.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If Tim's doesn't work out, I had my interior work redone in 2010 at Marietta Auto Trim. Tell Charles that a fellow Ferrari owner recommended the place.

https://www.mariettaautotrimshop.com/

Marcoboxer likes this.
  10. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Marcoboxer likes this.
  11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    My shop (that I can not type here) uses Tim as well and have handled the R&R on several jobs. He is very good.

12. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I did speak briefly with Tim, seemed pricy for covering a binnacle. I guess I'll keep asking around. I will also try out Marietta Auto Trim shop.

13. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Just left Marietta Auto Trim. There aren’t many craftsmen like that left in the world. Reasonable price, I pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

V4NG0 likes this.
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They did a good job on my 328; that was 12 years ago, and their work has stood up well. BTW, did you mention that you were directed there by a fellow Ferrari owner? I'll bet they would have remembered me.

15. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I did, but couldn’t find a name to mention beyond Gatorarri. Surprisingly, he didn’t know anyone of that name. :)

16. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    Putting the clues together, can I assume that Marietta Auto Trim had a better price than Tim's in Duluth?
    I know Tim's has a great reputation for quality, but also for not being cheap.

17. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Yeah, there was a difference. I don't want to post numbers publicly, I don't know the difference in quality, I haven't seen the work and won't be able to comment for a couple of weeks. I will post pictures when I have it back.

I'm sure experience in doing Ferrari interiors goes to Tim's shop. DM for more details if you are in the Atlanta area and looking for context.

m

18. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    OK, this took me way too long. Attached should be some pics....hopefully showing before and after in sequence. Usual leather shrinkage, looked terrible. For some reason, that isn't clear to me right now, I was considering Alcantara. Marietta Auto talked me out of that....thank you. Chuck/Charles is still there.....worth the visit just to hear the stories. Hopefully the pics of before and after are attached below. Short version: I'd absolutely use them again.

The Ferrari phone case was a gift....before you guys beat me up for owning one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    Finally some life here..... your post above is the first one in the South Central section in over a month!

Binnacle cover looks great. Just curious, what did they say about alcantara that sounded so bad? (I don't have any, but am interested in the story)

20. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    Bumping my question....

21. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I should have replied earlier, sorry about that.

With the upholsterer, I got into a lengthy discussion about Alcantara, that it’s a European product that’s more expensive than American suede, all interesting stuff.

These guys work with it every day, they believe American suede to be the better product….but everyone asks for Alcantara….however, it all stretch’s and fades in the sun.

He had an off cut of the correct leather there, so I was probably being sold on that.

I decided to go with their suggestion, but when the dash starts to show signs of shrinking, I’ll go to a suede type product for the entire dash/binnacle.

When it can down to it, I’d have been mixing materials and depending on how long before I do the dash, it could have looked like different colors due to fading.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    No worries, just thought you forgot about me! :p That's interesting, I thought maybe they had something really terrible to say about alcantara and you didn't wanna offend anyone, haha.

You made the right choice to go with the matching leather at this point. That way you don't have 2 different materials going on. And if/when you go to suede, you can switch it all and keep it matching for the best look.

23. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe

Just want to clarify a bit just to keep misinformation from spreading.

Alcantara is not a suede but a non-woven micro fiber product. It's made of mostly polyurethane and polyester. It's an Italian product but invented by the Japanese. It is absolutely colorfast in sunlight and will stand up to the test of time. It does not stretch on it's own and holds up well as long as the right variation is used in the right area. Most shops don't quite understand genuine Alcantara though and label all imitations as "Alcantara." Most of the imitations are bad and do fade.

Actual suede is not typically used in automotive interiors as it fades and shrinks easily and will release color when wet. When he talks of "American suede" I'm guessing he may be talking about an artificial suede or equivalent.

I use to own JPM Coachworks in Smyrna and was an Alcantara distributor for a while plus did a lot of interior work with it. There was always a lot of misinformation going around about it because upholstery shops typically worked in older cars and Alcantara was just "some type of suede" when it started becoming popular. It was only available through specialty distributors for the longest time so most shops only used what their local suppliers offered which was always some type of imitation. Some was good, but most were bad.

Hope that helps add some info. You can't go wrong with the classic look though :)

Marcoboxer and V4NG0 like this.
  24. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Great clarification and thank you. Learning something every day....

25. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i wish you guys were still open....

u did a great job on my white speedster

where did your employees go? open a shop?

JPM did incredible work.