430 - Brake Recall | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 Brake Recall

Discussion in '360/430' started by AandSC, Aug 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    No clue ..but i think if you click any of the recalls (i tried two different models and two different recalls (all completed ) it brings you to the same place... Not the greatest website

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

2. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    I checked on app and mine being 2008 model was of course flagged up as being a recall.
    Just had chat with the service manager at my local dealership, and he confirmed the Cap was needing to be replaced, but a software update was not required for my car.

Turns out the issue with these caps is nothing more than the Seal.
    The Seal on the old Caps is thin and in some case can become dislodged - usually through not checking before re-fitting the cap after service/brake fluid change/top up.
    Basically the Seal sticks to its mating surface on the Reservoir, stretches and deforms when the Cap is removed so that when refitted the Cap is not sealing as intended. The result of which - possibly in as little as one case - the fluid can leak out by accelerating/braking, or cornering forces.

As such the new Cap has a more substantial Seal that is better located in recesses within the body of the Cap.

I did say if that is the case can you pop a new Cap in the post to me and I'll fit it myself, but while he agreed that would be no issue under normal circumstances, the fact it is a recall it must be done and recorded in the dealership. Which to be honest I have no issue with.

We agreed it it was no big rush for me to get it done as I fastidious maintain my car myself - in addition to the regular dealer servicing - so it would be no problem to leave it until it's service next Spring.

Qavion likes this.
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The problem is real and apparently more than "as little as one case". My friend just had his Ferrari Cali T serviced at the dealer (all fluids changed). Brought it home and when taking it out for a drive a few days later, got a low brake fluid warning. There was no fluid leak observed and no fluid on the floor of his garage. He notified his service advisor who said if he had fluid to top it up, which he did. I few days later, the low fluid light and warning came up again. Still no visual leak he could find. (he is a skilled DYIer with a lift) Car was returned to the dealer and FNA approved replacing his brake master cylinder/booster and cap. I believe in most cases documented, the fluid is leaking into the booster, as the venting in the cap fails. That is why there is no obvious leak to be found. But the failure mode may differ depending on the model of Ferrari.

van22, Need4Spd and Qavion like this.
  5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    I don't doubt that for a second, and yes, it may well differ across certain models and years.
    Bottom line is get your car checked. There maybe absolutely nothing wrong with the majority of cars and the original cap will keep on trucking for many years. I know it's going to be a PIA for many having to travel long distances to et to main dealers, but better be safe than sorry for the sake of plastic cap !

6. modificator

modificator Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    To me it seems that any brake fluid cap works basically the same way, that is:

1) It has a venting hole/gap to allow external air to get in and out of the cap (contrary to some statements made in this thread)

2) A "rubber" membrane placed between that hole and the brake fluid, which is preventing moisture coming through the venting hole from reaching the brake fluid.

As the fluid level in the reservoir changes with brake pedal application (fluid goes in and out of the brake cylinders), the membrane goes up and down, and the air goes out and in through the hole.

The Ferrari caps lacked proper venting, creating vacuum in the reservoir when the fluid level kept dropping due to the pads wear. Since the brake pump is gravity fed from the reservoir, this vacuum obstructed proper fluid feeding., potentially causing braking problems.

The fix is a larger venting hole/gap or removal of any hole obstruction if the design had such obstruction.

Does it make sense?

7. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Are australia cars affected?? How do i check
    Mine is 08

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Elsewhere its a formal recall so its up to the local importer to declare it to the government and then contact affected owners - at a guess you can check your local government's procedure

9. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Just got my notice today. 2006 430 spider

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

AandSC likes this.
  10. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Got my notice today also for my 2009 F430 but it says the part isn't available yet and I will receive another notice soon when it is.

flash32 likes this.
  11. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is it just a cap for fluid resevoir?

12. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I believe so.

craze likes this.
  13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Same here

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Are any 360s in the recall? Seems like if they use the same booster and reservoir, it would be good to replace the cap regardless.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No.

16. BurgerLawJoe

BurgerLawJoe Rookie
    Sponsor

Oct 10, 2022
    St Louis, MO
    Here's what I can tell you, as someone who has seen some of the horror stories that prompted the recall in the first place:
    • The recall not only covers the leak problem with the cap itself, but it also covers a dangerous dash message that would advise you to keep driving to the dealership if your brakes were failing.
    • If this problem happens on your vehicle, you can completely lose breaking ability quickly. So if you get a brake message, for the love of god, don't just drive the car. Get it taken care of.

armedferret and Qavion like this.
  17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Just got my recall letter yesterday. Apparently the part is not available, so I have to wait until they notify me to make an appointment at the dealership.

18. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    F430 doesnt have any software update im told, only 458 on

BurgerLawJoe likes this.
  19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have been told verbally in the uk that a new cap and software update will be done when parts are available for my 430, as a recall.

20. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Got my recall f430 done

New cap, the cap on underside has a slit in the thread that follows to on top of the rubber seal

Allows seal to move as brake fluid drops from pad wear, while keeping the reservoir sealed

No software to update

AandSC and colorfull like this.
  21. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    Its a 40+ minute drive to my nearest dealership. Hope I can just get cap....

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #72 f355spider, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    Very unlikely. Dealer has to do it, and certify/document it for FNAs records that the recall was completed by them.

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I got my recall letter, registered post from Maranello, today. They are taking it seriously I guess through legal advice.

My car is asleep for the winter (although weather feels like summer here so annoyed about that), I will get it done during annual service in spring.

24. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Got my letter a few months ago. Dealer called late last week to schedule the service as they now have the parts in stock.

AandSC and f355spider like this.
  25. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I just received a second notice from the dealer. The first one was saying that the part was not available. Now they are saying that the replacement part is available. As mush as I don't want to take my car to the dealer I will go ahead and schedule a service appointment.