458 - Changing to a different brake fluid question | FerrariChat

458 Changing to a different brake fluid question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Oct 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I run Motul RBF 660 in my 458 but want to switch to Castro SRF.

I am using a Motive power bleeder.

When I put the new SRF fluid in, do I first need to completely drain the entire system from the RBF 660 fluid, or do I just leave the RBF 660 in the car and then put 2 qt of SRF in the motive power bleeder and flush/bleed all four corners under the 2 qt of SRF in the power bleeder is gone from the power bleeder and in the car, and ensure the reservoir is topped off?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Both Dot4 - empty reservoir ..put new fluid in and power bleed .. do not empty before - this will introduce air and make it a harder job

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    You’ll be happier with SRF, it is noticeably better than the Motul. I switched a while back and won’t run anything else as long as I track the car.

I have my 32nd track day of 2022 this Sunday at Sebring. Who’d imagine?

I’m working with someone to figure out how to install GM rotors from the C7 Z07 Corvette on the 458. The Giro’s are ok but heavy and have less brake surface.

4. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Have you looked at AP Racing discs?

5. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks!!

6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I haven’t. I can certainly do that.

My first attempt to replace ceramic with ceramic was with Surface Tranafoems. Waited six months for nothing and bailed.

Am told the C7 ceramic are 4-5k, add in some expense to get the disc hats, and should be good. Worth exploring.

The OEMs are crazy expensive and mine are toast. The price we must pay for fun, lol.

7. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Should be pretty straight forward to do. The R35 GTR had a disc hat kit for doing carbon ceramics from the Corvette, and fortunately for the R35 owners it only required a minor bit of machining to the OEM calipers.

8. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
  9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    If you can look back into Surface Transforms they are awesome at the track. Autoquest in Ft Myers might still sell and distribute them. They were all the rage after much testing and guys I tracked with at Sebring running them back in 2018/2019 when Autoquest began with them.

The type of CCM rotor that Chevy and Ferrari are using are the exact fiber lay up schedule but much different than the Surface Transforms which is much more robust. Even the CCM rotors Porsche uses are more robust than the ones Ferrari/Chevy use.

Lastly you should look into what the 458 Challenger cars used… calipers, pads and rotors….different than the street car stuff and would deal with heat better and last way longer. Piping in brake cooling would be helpful on these street cars as well, I’m sure you know,

Enjoy Sebring. It’s my home track. Been going there for track days since 2005.

wthensler likes this.
  10. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I think the vast majority of the challenge cars are running steel rotors!

11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Lol, I cooked the OEMs, but dang it was fun until I got the bill. I’m gonna stick with iron for now. Yes I’ve seen the ducted cooling mods.

My 4th trip to Sebring this year (unless I make a December run)..…..Daytona late Oct, then Road Atlanta (3rd visit) in Nov. 458’s been a rock star!

mdrums likes this.
  12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    458 challenge ran CCM rotor in the series. The 488 Challenge is running a CCM rotor but it’s different than the street car for sure as are the calipers.