Batteries... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Batteries...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Whisky, Oct 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    For older cars, it's not an issue: 308, 355, 360, no sweat. Dealing with the electronics on something like the 458 or later and it's a totally different animal.

Ray

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

Yes..I did.mention that if you notice in my post.

RayJohns likes this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    All I'm noticing right now is a caffeine rush :)

Ray

tbakowsky likes this.
  4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have several optima batteries although they are all older. Where did the optimas you had leak? I’d like to double check the ones I have. Thx.

5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I had an interstate purchased with the car, it lasted about 4 years, replaced it with a yellow optima which lasted 3 years despite keeping car on maintainer. I wouldn’t pay extra for optima unless I needed a battery that was not on level surface.

Now have antigravity lithium ion (Li- iron so not risk or fire like li cobalt). Been good for >5 years. 48 Ah 1500CCA. Like 3 lbs. got mine on sale for less than 500 bucks. Now same battery is like 850. And the company now recommends higher wattage 60 Ah 1800 CCA for Ferraris due to parasitic draw which is $950. I personally can’t Just can’t justify that much.

So now I would use interstate from Costco. I’ve returned batteries to them up to 4 years and they give replacement battery without pro rating.

It would be cheeper and healthier if I lost 25 lbs and went with a heavier and less expensive battery!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

f355spider likes this.
  6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    They all leaked through the two black vent caps on top.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The Antigravity ratings are for the lesser used Cranking Amps (CA) rating. Not Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) that is more stringent. No way they can put out that much CCA. Yes, they have raised recommendations on the Amp Hour (AH) recommendations, which is wise, as I always thought they were recommending under capacity batteries for all their recommended applications.

8. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    You are correct i didnt realize that they used CA not CCA.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    As was mentioned earlier, I used to freak out about batteries too.
    In 2014, as soon as the car was in my garage I changed the battery (among other things).
    I installed an Optima Red Top.
    I also purchased a battery tester and keep the car on a maintainer.
    Every time I put it to bed (early winter- mid Nov) I test the battery. In the spring before waking it up I test the battery.
    After 8 years it is still passing my tests but last year I removed it and had it load tested at a local shop to verify my little tester.
    Damn thing passed. Yet, I installed a new battery since I figured the space was already empty.
    The old Optima is now being used in my winter beater Acura MDX and going strong. After 8 years the CCA is 10% less spec.

Go figure!

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Teach me something guys. I have not noticed newer cars BMWS most sensitive or 458's needed special batteries? The key in selection for me has always been to be in the OE cranking amp zone and that could be violated if the electrical load was reduced like in a racecar with no A/C system to turn on, and never started in freezinf temps because racecar.