Chris Harris 296 GTB | FerrariChat

Chris Harris 296 GTB

Discussion in '296' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Nov 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Chris gives it a big thumbs up,just dont turn off the nannies!

blkdiablo33 and vdm9 like this.
  2. Kmaaq

Kmaaq Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Khalid Mohammed ALQattan
    He likes it but there wasn’t really that much information in this video. If you asked me I couldn’t tell you exactly what he liked and didn’t. I also expected some sort of a comparison to the SF90 since he didn’t like it.

day355 and Il Tifoso like this.
  3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Front mortor numbs steering feedback and also unpredictable with nanny off trying to slide around. No space to put the bag. I also love 296 over SF90.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Sole_

Sole_ Rookie

Jul 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Gerald Bautista
    Ive been waiting for this, thanks for sharing.

5. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman
    Chris Harris has a tendency to go overboard with praises...at least as I see it. Did a short but rather spirited test drive of the 296 GTS couple of weeks ago.
    My feelings:
    + immense and addictive power + decent exhaust and intake noises (piccolo V12 is a major stretch though ) + Looks better in real life than in pictures
    + handles amazing
    - really tiny interior ( anyone over 6ft is not going to be comfortable) - lacking rawness ( feels a bit too refined) - as CH pointed out the noises and power of the car are not compatible due to electric power kicking in to fill in the turbo lag of the IC engine - the shift selector is a bit cheesy - too much tech ( distracting )

6. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    This was a concern for myself at 6ft 3 but I am having no issues.

My main issue is the haptic controls. On the whole they work well BAR the trackpad, very difficult to get feedback for how far you have moved through the menus etc without taking your eyes off the road. Maybe it will take a few more months of use.

7. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Next to this video he had another one about “Top Cars of 2022” wherein he denigrated the 296.

So which is it Chris?!

After watching both back to back I just feel stupid believing anything he says.

Boomhauer, Jo Sta7 and SoCal to az like this.
  8. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Do you have the link to the video where he denigrates the 296?

9. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
  10. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Ok I was wrong. Similar spec. My bad. 2021 and the SF90.

Having said that, I still don’t trust him. When I met him, I still regret not cursing him jokingly and saying “because of you I’ve bought these five cars!”

ryalex and Boomhauer like this.
  11. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I've met him before, super nice guy!

I found it interesting to see him demonstrating just how much impact the electronics have in this car (he also mentioned this for the pista but this seems even further electronically depenedant)

12. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    the interior fits taller people better than the SF90, if feels smaller but is differently arranged so people can fit their legs under the dash (which they can't in the SF90 as the dash is lower)

keithos27 likes this.
  13. How could it not be?

Without electronic nannie either you or the car would be totaled, or both.

It's sort of like what CH says about having a MT in a car like the 296. Wouldn't want it, as no human could shift fast enough for the car, which would ultimately end up retarding the driving experience or break the tranmission.

14. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Several in my CP group were XLT above 6 3 and did fine in the 296 GTB with helmets. Racing seats obviously.

Didn’t work the options just the shifter but

15. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    for sure, if ferrari made a limited edition with no traction control and some reduced weight etc then people would go nuts for it like they did for the F12 tdf because it'd be percieved as raw and a handful

ryalex and j09333 like this.
  16. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    For me, there are two types of cars

One is make car with nannies. If you turn off nannies, car gets nuts. Tesla is the best example. SF90 you can not fully turn off.

One is make car first and add nannies for law requirment. Car is at its best with nannies off. Most MR Ferraris and sport Ferraris.

Not so great with nannies off cars are the ones with 4wd and heavy body. Lusso was not good.

So if Ferrari make no nanny car, then that car must be naturally balanced and talented to be a good deiver’s car so yes! I am all in!

The reason CH mentions not to turn off nanny of 296 is not because car is not good without nanny. It is because it has variable steering ratio which gets really sensitive around center area so if one mis corrects tiny bit when recovering from slides, car might snap oversteer the other way for it has so much torque and power.

But this was most of cases with big power contemporary Ferraris anyway. My guess is torque matters if he specifically means it can snap to the otherside ‘more easily’.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

gzachary and ryalex like this.
  17. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Part of the "fun to drive" :)

I just got mine and I love driving it. Way above my expectations. It's great. It would also be interesting to have the 296 without the hybrid system for the road.

j09333 and ryalex like this.