Larini - Stay away! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Thank you for taking the time to teach me something new!

2. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Funnily enough I have a Tubi exhaust on my 512TR and it is far from loud. I also have replaced the cats, but not with straight pipes, but with just empty boxes (I don't know the word on English) and it is nowhere near the sound I want to achieve :)

3. Kasimir

Kasimir Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Kasimir den Hertog
    Came across this thread, I can also share my concerns regarding Larini.

I've ordered a set of cats for my 348 from them at the end of June. Original ETA was six weeks, or 'early to mid August'. At the end of August I sent them an email to update me about the ETA. They said 'approx. two weeks'. So I booked my garage for the end of September based on this. The week before the appointment, no news yet about the parts. I cancelled my appointment and emailed Larini (David Clark, apparently the Director) to ask when in fact I could expect the parts, since almost four weeks had passed since the 'approx. two weeks' ETA.

Now, a few weeks later, I still haven't received an updated ETA, or any news on what is going on. I don't mind if it'd take a little longer, but Larini keeps me in the dark, even though I've already paid in full for the parts.

I can't judge their product, but their sales/aftersales is really very poor. I would not advise ordering from them. As it stands, you can't know what to expect or when to expect it. Last email I've sent I've asked them to provide a proper ETA or otherwise I'll cancel my order.

bjunc, rumen1 and Col. Kurtz like this.
  4. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I agree 100%…I ordered in January of 2022, cat and precat deletes from Vivid Racing…Vivid ordered the pieces from Larini…I am actually not sure who was more unprofessional, Vivid Racing or Larini. I eventually gave up talking to Vivid and went straight to Larini. It was like they owed me money. Every couple of weeks they had a different story. After five months I gave up and got Vivid to give me a complete refund. Never did anything to my stock exhaust. Car runs great, just wish it had a little more sound. The lesson here is stay as far away from both Vivid Racing and Larini products!!,

Col. Kurtz and Kasimir like this.
  5. Kasimir

Kasimir Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Kasimir den Hertog
    Interesting story, that's even months before I ordered from them (June 2022).

Since my last post I've been emailing Larini asking whether I can expect anything at all to come. No reply. Then - this is a few weeks later - I e-mailed them requesting to cancel and refund my order. To my surprise, the next day I received an e-mail from David, telling me the order is ready and it was due to ship the following week. Also apologies, because he thought he had e-mailed me about this.

This was last Saturday, and I haven't received a shipping confirmation or anything like that. Just now, I've sent them an e-mail to ask if they did in fact ship it this week, like they promised. I still haven't lost all hope, but I won't be convinced until I have the parts in my hands.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

... and people wonder why I stopped selling exhaust components entirely. Yes, there are great manufacturers, installers, and custom builders out there in the Ferrari world. But for my business model, there was nothing from the cylinder head to the muffler that was profitable or universally successful. And yeah, I've had relationships with HyperFlow, Larini, X-OST/Maranello, etc. etc.

I'd rather send a customer elsewhere than sell a product that is (1) going to take forever to arrive, (2) lack in quality somehow, or (3) come back to bite me on the internet.

#fridayrant

Demigod555, Col. Kurtz and turbo-joe like this.
  7. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    You unfortunately dealt with the same two companies which starred in my ordeal, but I refrained from mentioning Vivid Racing when I started this thread in case it impacted my yet-to-be-refunded deposit. I feel your frustration 100%. Having bought from Vivid I should never have been so neglected by them that I felt I needed to go straight to Larini. Vivid Racing has a lot to learn when it comes to customer service; if the order is through them and they received payment, they are the ones who needed to deal with Larini and provide the customer with answers. But they seemed to not care, at all.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    I see your point.

Any suggestions on where to buy pre-cat and cat deteles, or would you go to a custom exhaust shop to have them made?

Any advice appreciated.

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    As mentioned I like Tubi precat deletes
    I got them in 8 weeks.
    Cat deletes there are lots of options.

Ricambi America likes this.
  10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #35 xplodee, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    Go local! The number of talented fabricators in the US is outstanding. Brandon Furches (Built By Furches on IG and FB) made me a one-off TR exhaust system that he can reproduce for anyone else. The price was cheaper than all the name brand stuff and quality of welds, fit, finish etc was beyond belief. The sound is unmatched. I have a muscle car down low and a screaming banshee up top. I get compliments all the time.

The welds on that larini system are nauseating. You shouldn't have to put up with that for what these cars represent in terms of beauty.

EZORED likes this.
  11. Kasimir

Kasimir Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Kasimir den Hertog
    So... after the promises about the parts shipping soon and subsequently nothing materializing, I again wrote Larini telling them I would like the order cancelled if nothing would show up, but this time I added an ultimatum - 'by the end of next week'.

Literally the next day I receive a reply saying the cats are on their way, and shortly after that emails from FedEx about a shipment. It seemed like it was actually happening!

The shipment was delivered yesterday to my garage and this morning I went to check it out. The parts are really here! So in this case the wait was rewarded, though I would've liked if Larini had been upfront about this, with an honest ETA.

The parts themselves look very, very nice. I've attached a picture so you can judge for yourselves. Next step will be to mount them on the 348, but after this ordeal, that should be the easy part ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Auraraptor likes this.
  12. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Anyone know if the issues with Larini have gotten better? Seems it wasn't as much an issue pre-covid? Maybe just a rough patch?

If the quality is still good, maybe just a matter of managing expectations? Eg., when they say "2 weeks", you tell yourself "6 months"? Not ideal, but their product does appear to be one of the best...

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    "Quality still good"? I don't know if anyone would say it was ever good.
    Honest question. With so much negative information why consider them?

What are you looking for? There are better options.

14. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I was under the impression they actually were good quality (if / when you received them). I saw threads where there appeared to be QC issues, but they seemed less frequent than other systems. Maybe I am mistaken.

I am looking for a sound similar to what I've heard in the BB / Larini YouTube videos. Bell seems nice as well, but has a bit of a different character (also nice, but I think like the Larini sound more). Ultimately, I really want a sound similar to the Competizione, but that is a race exhaust (so obviously, a more tamed street version that had a similar character).

A lot of the threads on exhaust are more than 10 years old, so it's pretty hard to know what the current options are. I'm all ears though.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats a BBLM with straight exhaust. No TR, no matter what you do will ever sound like that.
    I did a 15 second google search and came up with quite a few, some actually good quality. But for the $5500-$6500 most cost you could get an outrageous custom system made and have some left over.

ago car nut and turbo-joe like this.
  16. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I said as much, no? Obviously you can't get a true match to straight pipes without... straight pipes. But there is a certain character (eg, pitch) that the Competizione car has, and to my ears, the Larini is the closest to that (whereas the Bell sounds like it has a lower pitch).

By the way, this would be for a 512 BBi, not a TR.

I know how Google works, but my results are basically the usual suspects (Tubi, Larini, QuickSilver). Of the ones you say are "good quality", which are you referring to?

I'm not opposed to a custom exhaust from a local shop. That's your suggestion?

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I have had both a Tubi and Capristo on my TR. Capristo is closer to thst sound at higher RPMs

18. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    Larini exhaust showed up not fitting and twisted, we had to cut off and re-weld all the pipes from the system to OEM manifolds. I will NEVER buy anything from them again, the quality is not up to it and even worse they do not deliver.

I am pretty sure we could have built a better system with parts from the local tube benders and off the shelf SS mufflers.

19. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Wow. Was this recently? Is there another brand you'd recommend?

I've thought about doing this; considering how many horror stories I've been reading. Seems like you can get most of what you need from somewhere like JMD Tubes (https://www.jmdtubes.com/), and fab it in a way that allows for swapping out off-the-shelf mufflers.

20. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    FWIW, I bought a used Capistro off of eBay for my TR a decade back - no issues with it, it fits and sounds great. From what I have seen on friends’ cars, Tubi might even be better quality. There are some reasonable options out there.

21. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    See post #6.
    Our cars are old, long out of production, and low in number.

22. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    All flanges needed be cut, two of them needed angle adjustment, the other two extensions and angle adjustments.

Make a mockup, design and buy SS pipes and muffler(s) and spend the bucks on a good welding guy, more fun. There is a lot of room for the muffler so you have many options.

Attached Files:

turbo-joe likes this.
  23. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The whole idea behind Predat deletes is quite fascinating to me.
    First, one can simply by the OEM delete pipes used on several European spec cars. Used they (used to be?) quite reasonable cost wise.
    Tubi also makes a decent filament pre-cat delete. I don’t know current prices but it used to be around $2200ish.
    then the custom route.

Hence why I don’t see need to find other sources where you end spending decent time/$ fixing the filament.

24. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yikes. Hard to imagine spending so much money, wondering if/when you'll receive it, and then have hack at it to get it to work.

It does seem the custom route would be a more practical alternative. A lot more control over the situation it seems.

2dinos and willrace like this.