How to Charge with installed Car Cover | FerrariChat

How to Charge with installed Car Cover

Discussion in '296' started by ShadowLAP, Nov 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Has anyone has seen a 296 (probably SF90 similar) being charged with an installed car cover? I've seen SF90's charging but with no cover installed. Does the cover fit over the charger or is there an opening in the cover for the Charging Port?

jm2 likes this.
  2. jonathanprice

jonathanprice Rookie

Jan 31, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Price
    That is a great question! To my knowledge, there is no hole in the 296 or SF90 factory car cover to accommodate charging.

You might be interested in an alternate solution from a company called Goodwool. I work at Ferrari South Bay and we are a vendor for Goodwool. I'll attach a photo of their Roma car cover, and you'll be able to see a little slot for charging with the trickle charger. Since all of their covers are custom-made, it would be easy to request one with a slot for the charger to fit in to the charging point.

It's not the greatest angle to show you what I'm talking about, but if you look closely, you'll see the slot on the back bumper. This would be no problem for Goodwool. You can customize your cover to perfectly replicate your car's exterior. It's an Italian company, too! I'll throw in another photo to show what it looks like from the front.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShadowLAP and jm2 like this.
  3. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I have not previously seen a car cover like this. I do see the flap, great idea. I will keep this information to check into it further when the car arrives in a couple of years (fingers crossed). Thank you very much for the info.

jonathanprice likes this.
  4. jonathanprice

jonathanprice Rookie

Jan 31, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Price
    When the time comes, if you (or anyone else who sees this) wants to order a Goodwool Car Cover, you can PM me or email [email protected].

Good luck with your 296 order! I am sure your patience will be rewarded, and you're going to love it!

5. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I've been able to drive 3 different GTB's (two in the rain and one on a dry day). It is a fabulous car and totally agree with you assessment. I do love my 458 Spider so it will get me through the waiting period until our GTS arrives. thanks again

6. jonathanprice

jonathanprice Rookie

Jan 31, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Price
    I've also been lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time behind the wheel, although never on a wet surface (probably a good thing). I spent the most time in the same one that Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz drove in Miami at the GP circuit:
    Ferrari's Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz in the Hilarious Start-Stop Challenge! - YouTube

Funny story - the little question cards that they used in that video were still in the glovebox when we got the car!

The tires had collected a lot of rubber from its time on the track, and I was shocked at how well it was able to put down the power without wheelspin. And the sound is absolutely lovely!

Also, if you haven't yet seen Chris Harris drive the 296, it is a must-watch!
    Chris Harris On The Ferrari 296 GTB - Are Hybrid Supercars The Future? - YouTube

Our first customer car arrives in January, and our demo most likely in February. However, our sister store, Ferrari Westlake, just got their first 296 as the person who ordered it called in air freight!

It will be hard to give up the screaming N/A V8 of the 458, but I'm glad you're excited for the latest and greatest. When the time comes to sell your 458, shoot me a PM or email, perhaps we'd be interested in buying it from you.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

ShadowLAP likes this.
  7. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The factory indoor cover for the SF90 (and I presume the 296) is tailored to fit over the charging cable.

pninja005 and ShadowLAP like this.