Pic of your 458/488/F8 you took today or recently | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Pic of your 458/488/F8 you took today or recently

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eric C, Jun 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iMrMark

iMrMark Karting

May 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'll jump in on this one, though I'm not the person with an F8 and full hood PPF so grain of salt to anyone reading it. I have spent some time going around recently talking with a number of installers in my area about this exact question, because I thought it was really interesting. They had no reason to give me grief or mislead, and I've spoken to 3x on the subject with consistent messaging overall and 1x who went so far as to pull me into the shop and show me the mechanics of how that works (or doesn't).

Basically, any shop could conceivably do the bulking (pull a sheet and custom fit it for the hood) process in a way where the s-duct is without a seam or relief cut. The challenge is that the material is not itself designed to occupy a curved space in that manner, and so you end up with a fold that has to be cut, or a seam that has to be mated, or you stretch the material to form fit the space. The last one is what it seems like some folks have had done on their cars to avoid any cuts or seams in the area, and it is certainly something all the installers I spoke to said they could do. The risk (as was demonstrated to me by one installer) was that in doing so you 1) reduce the protection of the film itself by thinning it out from the stretch and 2) you risk compromising the clear coat on top of the film, which then ruins the PPF anyway.

But all said it was certainly possible and there's nothing "wrong" with doing it that way, but it adds risk long term in that area since they have to essentially work the material and potentially introduce degradation. It also adds cost since to do that work correctly and to a level of quality, I was told they would want to add at least 4 or 5 hours to any quote, expecting product failures or simply to budget the time to get it really locked in and solid. I was warned that anyone who says it's easy and they can just whip it up was perhaps not being honest, but that yes, with time and money anything is achievable.

One installer also commented that he's never seen rock chips in that area anyway, so in either route the risks may be a moot point. Though, fair to say too that the absence of proof is not proof in itself. : )

Again, grain of salt, this was just my own experience and feedback from area installers in exploring this specific question. Always curious to know what others with more or different experience think as well!

RoadRonin, jm2 and AD211 like this.
  2. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    iMrMark and jm2 like this.
  3. landasia

landasia Rookie

Jul 21, 2020
    SoCal
    there are relief cutouts on multiple places when I inspected at home. Sduct, side duct as well as rear bumper. I spoke with many installers before choosing this one. Two of the shops that work on many f8s both told me they do relief cuts - and they both use stek. I heard of shop in NorCal that uses thinner films without relief cuts on sduct. Its decently hidden and out of the way of rock chips so I do not mind.

4. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
  5. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    So I finally found an Italia with a similar spec as my previous one which I regretfully sold early 2021 after having for over a year and putting around 11k miles on it. Now I need to negotiate w myself between this 458 & my personal F355GTS …sell the GTS and keep this, or just play w this one for a bit but still sell it…decisions decisions..2 totally different cars but can’t keep both!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BDM348, Rexcat458, xfrgtr and 7 others like this.
  6. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
  7. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
  8. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
  9. Bernie B

Bernie B Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2020
    Chicago, IL Area
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Drove the 488 Challenge Evo for the first time this Monday and I must say I didn't expected it to be so user friendly and easy to drive. It's a very nice machine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bernie B

Bernie B Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2020
    Chicago, IL Area
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    mdrums, Rexcat458, Cigarzman and 2 others like this.
  12. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    mdrums, Viperjoe, Rexcat458 and 2 others like this.
  13. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  14. whupwhup

whupwhup Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Stoney Creek, ON
    Full Name: