Suspension bushing update | FerrariChat

Suspension bushing update

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dockboy, Dec 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dockboy

Dockboy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2013
    Maryland
    #1 Dockboy, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    I am in the process of refurbing the suspension on a '77 GTB.

I read numerous threads on the whole process and the various ways people were pressing the bushings out after grinding the welds. RobzWorkz way of cock-eyed in a vise and a hammer, people burning the guts out, etc..

Well, I am replacing all the shock bushings also, so to make life easier for that I ordered Hill Engineering's 42mm press tool. https://www.hillengineering.co.uk/tools/bush-extractors/brt-02

Fiddling around getting ready to tackle pressing out the A-arm bushings, I grabbed the press tool and Wala! The base of the tool fits perfectly over the bushing spacer and HE also mills a flat spot on it that lets it clear the cross member! A socket and a vise and they press right out with no effort at all!

Kudos to Hill Engineering! I highly recommend getting the press tool if you are tackling this job.

Just thought I would pass this along as I had not seen or heard of it in any of my research.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Patrick Dixon and bitsobrits like this.
  2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Very nice.

I made a similar tool out of galvanized iron gas pipe union. It was a lot of grinding and fitting to get it to fit. IIRC one of the rear bushings is right up against the a-arm.

It now circulates around friends here in the SF Bay Area. I believe “Black Horse” has just passed it on to someone else.

BLACK HORSE and Basal Skull like this.
  3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Regardless of how you change them, you will love the end result which is a new car feel.

waymar likes this.
  4. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Awesome.. I’ve done the bushings on two of my cars and made a similar tool too but used a large socket that I sacrificed and ground down one side

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    And one more thing to add when pushing out the old bushings.... a cheater bar is required and its highly recommended to use a large industrial vise... Don't be surprise after pushing out all 16 bushing that your vise doesn't operate normally afterwards... It's a workout for both you and your vise!!!!

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Or, just find someone with a press.

7. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You will need a very serious-quality press to get the same precision as a modest-quality vice.

I bought a modest-quality press (not a super cheap one), and there was still too much slop in the mechanism.

I do still use the press for a variety of things, but if I can use the vice, that is the tool I prefer...

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I tried BLACK HORSE’s hydraulic press but reverted back to my bench vice. It is impossible to “feel” whether or not you’ve got things aligned and moving with a press.

BLACK HORSE likes this.