How are cylinders numbered on a Ferrari 599gtb? | FerrariChat

How are cylinders numbered on a Ferrari 599gtb?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jay Hova, Feb 1, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay Hova

Jay Hova Rookie

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jay Hova
    I am getting sporadic misfires error codes on cylinders 10-12 but the engine runs fine with no hint of actual misfires.

Where are cylinders 10, 11, and 12?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    LHD cars, driver's side front is 12, co driver's side front is 1

Daniel

Jay Hova likes this.
  3. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Jay, what a coincidence! Also chasing an intermittent mis-fire on 10 and 12 (mostly 10 though) on my 2008 US Spec 599. Car also feels strong, but a 600hp V12 makes it hard to really feel anything using the butt dyno.

We've swapped coils and plugs and it stays on cylinder 10. We did a smoke test on the intake and exhaust side and found a badly leaking dipstick o-ring and a tiny wisp coming from MAF electrical connector. We also did find more motor oil than expected in the airbox->MAF intake tract so most likely engine was overfilled at some point. Boroscope and compression test did NOT reveal issues with the cylinder walls. Went to go swap injectors and found motor oil at some of the injector electrical connections and NO where else. Anyone see this before? Was it just a sloppy job by the previous mechanic who replaced the valve cover gaskets or something more? Found oil in 9 of the injectors connection points (12,11 and 2 were clean and dry):

https://youtube.com/shorts/b9Hp3HIAkQQ?feature=share

Jay Hova likes this.
  4. Jay Hova

Jay Hova Rookie

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jay Hova
    Did you resolve the problem? I can drive the interstate for hours, no problem. Stopped in city traffic, with a warm engine, check light comes on (a lot now). Seems like the engine check light only comes on at idle. Sometimes it even goes off by itself!

5. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Still working on it... Very similar symptoms, I only seem to get it when slowing/stoping for stop light after driving for a while. It has also disappeared and then reappeared a few times for me as well. How many miles yours? Mine has 34k...

6. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Just to close on this... engine was overfilled ~1.5liters. After removing excess oil, cleaning the intake tracts, REPLACING the MAF's and cleaning up the oil in the injector electrical connections. Have not had any mis-fire issues for ~150 miles of city driving.

George Vosburgh likes this.