C8 Z06 | Page 67 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Probably been discussed over the 66 pages...but, a z-06 powered "gt3RS / Cup" version would be incredible. Fixed roof, Body panels from current race car and easy to replace parts through GM race division. A/C, Radio delete option. Basically a stripped out version, just enough to be street legal, but track focused.

sainthoo and boxerman like this.
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    would love a shop to show z06 build where they eliminate the trunk and shrink the bodywork to mclaren size.

boxerman likes this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yeah if this car could loose 500lbs that would really be something

4. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    95spiderman likes this.
  5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Website is so vague I can't figure out what this is but its gorgeous. Doesn't look anything like c8 but steering wheel and dash look like c7. Especially love speedster

6. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    My understanding is they were to utilize the C8. You may remember they do a modern interpretation of a "Pantera" utilizing Lambo underpinnings. Anyway, no telling if it comes to fruition. Oh, and it's lead by Danny Beharre, formally of Lotus from back in the "we're going to build these 5 cars that don't look like anything affiliated with Lotus" day and did not. Thankfully.

95spiderman likes this.
  7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes that pantera is a beauty. Can only hope they make z06

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Behare is a promoter.
    My impression is these cars built from bits lack the fully sorted all of a peice that comes from factory oem. Component cars are worse still. They all look great, but are really just road cars lacking the durability and dynamics for track, ask me how I know.

If one wanted to go that route, Sin cars are the way to go, but those machines from a power to weight are overkill for anything other than really skilled hands so while you may be faster than others you're unlikely to be maximizing the machine and by extension progressing.

If youre going pure track car then a Gt4 or Gt3 clubsport work out. But if I were going for another trailer to the track car in those 150K+ price ranges, then the new closed KTMs seem hard to beat in terms of raw performance, light weight an cost to run, and light is always more fun on track.

im many ways for drive to the track the unobtanium GT4rs ticks the right boxes, 3200lbs wet proven durability of drivetrain(from Gt3) and tough underpinnings. But you cant buy one for love nor money for under 275K if not 3o0k. Speced by someone like me for more track focus the car lists for 168K which makes sense, loaded with crap and dealer premium it makes zero sense.

Tests so far indicate the vette is "faster" its probably more streetable too, and living in FL its size is no impediment on road. We're talking street cars you can run on track here, not pure track cars. The questions about the vette are Gm/vette build/durability, and given the weight consumables on track.
    Before people here jump don my throat about build, misaligned panels, which nearly every test has spoken off I can accept. The question is of how loose the car will get over 20k miles, and whAts going to break, cause thats a big feature of any tracked vette I've seen, plus simple mechanical durablity. Consumables, is this a 37000LbS car that needs tires and pads every day, do I need to spend 10 k to go to Ap brakes to have brakes that hold up.
    Please bear in mind were not talking the occasional casual 4 30 min De sessions where the car is being used to 7,8/10ths.

Ive seen 4000lbs camaros hold up just fine to full on track use. But then the 1llt 1lz or whatever camaro is really focused for the track and has things like giant non drilled vented steel rotors, which means they were focused on a track user durability cost to run. The vette "may" be more like ferrari or Mclaren, yeah can run on track and be fast for a day if you dont mind spending 5-10k+ in consumables etc. BTW this applies to every supercar out there, which is why you dont really see them on track, cause even billionaires respect money, and below that level mere millionaires don't waste 15k in a day even if they own the car. There is also the question of things going bang, which we saw in the first C6 z06s and in the c7 z06. This is a new powertrain and platform, although the vette guys are really good at improving and sorting these cars over time so by year 3 that should not be an issue to the extent it exists at all.

As others have said, the ideal spec on this vette is for it to loose a whole bunch of frippery which gets in the way of the track. Heavy electric seats, that heavy rear hatch/trunk, lighter glass, maybe an sduct in front, and lighter bits here and there.
    What we have now is a techno approach to work around the weight, 9k Cf wheels,ceramics etc, and a weird wing so the hatch works.
    Im not advocating something notionally street legal and extreme like the last viper extreme, more like a balanced approach like a Gt4Rs.

Im willing to bet that somewhere along the way there will be a version like this of the c8, platform, Ill be they've already played with a lighter more honed z06 in prototype testing just to see.

Since Im on one of those long wait lists my car is 2-3 years out, plenty of time for the team to sort any foibles this car may have, and for us to see what it needs to run on track.

9. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Corvette Racing just released the GT3 racer for next year. Whoever wants it to get all frothy in the chat can post pics.

10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    looks like its expected to look. why frothy?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

looks great, wish there were a street legal version of that, nice wing vented fenders etc.

lambchop, 95spiderman and Thecadster like this.
  12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Some shop needs to do more of this type thing instead of ridiculous twin turbo builds

lambchop likes this.
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  14. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Meant as compliment, i.e, getting excited about something. I think it's fantastic, even if what was to be expected.

95spiderman likes this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
  16. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Gh21631 likes this.
  18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Was at the Daytona 24 hrs last weekend.
    The Corvettes looked and sounded great. While I know the race cars dont directly compare to the road cars, the peckign order looked to be Vette and lambo close with the vette having more sheer drive off the tight corners and the porches 3rd. Then came the porches and ferrari 296s. Things change durign 24 hrs but watching the cars off the hairpin thats how it looked. That vette v8 just seemed to have the leggs over everything else in tis class, and the cars looked awesome.

corey1 and VAF84 like this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think Ferrari will need some time with this new platform, they seemed to be searching for setup in that race. Hopefully better results at Sebring.

Thecadster likes this.
  20. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Lightning Lap time leaked: 2:38.6
    That is astonishingly fast.

95spiderman likes this.
  21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran