The position of my rear wheels doesn't look right | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The position of my rear wheels doesn't look right

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rumen1, Jan 18, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    OK, so car is finally back on its wheels. Believe it or not, the difference now is down to 4mm. NOTHING has been done to the suspension. And I do mean nothing. The engine has been removed from the car and then installed back and so are the brake calipers and the wheels obviously, but the suspension hasn't been touched. I honestly have no idea what happened. I am not sure what is happening or if anything will change when I start driving the car again, but we'll see.

2. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Did they drop the whole motor/sub-frame assembly in one piece like in a testarossa? That might explain what you're seeing. Mine is a testarossa so I'm not familiar with the 512TR engine-out protocol.

3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I don't think that is possible. No, they only have taken out the engine and the gearbox from the top.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There will be some clearance (slop) between the bolts holding the engine mounts to the frame and both of those components -- so the repeatability of the engine in the frame is not super-precise. Even more if the engine mounts were removed from their brackets. And it's a 2X effect -- a difference going from 10mm to a difference of 4mm is only a side-to-side shift of 3mm of the engine.

George Vosburgh and rumen1 like this.
  5. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    That does make sense. Tomorrow I will ask my mechanic about that.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what has the position from the engine /gearbox to do with the rearaxle? if the engine is a little more left or right nothing changes with the axle. the upper and lower arms are fixed to the frame, independently from the engine position.

different is when you see a testarossa. there you can put out the engine with the complete frame with the axle to the bottom. and I always said when you do this it needs an alignment when you put together all.

willrace and rumen1 like this.
  7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #32 Steve Magnusson, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Good point -- had a brain cramp there (was wrongly thinking about the positions of the drive flanges on the gearbox). But the stiffness of the engine assembly, even on it's flexible mounts, probably isn't zero compared to the stiffness of the chassis so maybe removing and reinstalling the powerplant flexed things enough to move the outer fender shapes around some -- just a thought...

8. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I wonder if RHD cars of that era were shifted to the opposite side.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats not really possible. I suspect it has more to do with suspension settling back to its normal position after being in the air combined with inconsistent measurement methodology.

For people wanting cookie cutter precision I typically suggest a Toyota Tercel.

pshoejberg likes this.
  10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #35 rumen1, Feb 1, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    If I say so, obviously it is possible, otherwise I wouldn't say it, would I? Obviously if I knew the reason I wouldn't ask questions and asking for suggestions. The difference has been noticed before the car has even been taken to the shop for cambelt replacement. So nothing to do with "being in the air". Also the measurement methodology has been the same both times, so it was equally "inconsistent" when the difference was 10mm and now when it became 4mm. And for people suggesting Toyota Tercel and considering 10mm difference as normal I suggest glasses. ;)

11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I did a front bumper recess project for a client on his 308. Wanted the US spec car to look like a Euro. When I tried to fit the bumper into the body opening, I found the bumper mounts on the frame were 15mm off. If I mounted the bumper straight off the frame, it was 15mm offset to one side and hit the body. After a lot of inspection, I just made custom brackets that moved it over. There was no evidence of any damage or repair. The client had owned the car for many many years and had the history before that. We are sure it wasn't crashed and certainly not bad enough for the front of the car to be that far off. However, we are sure of the "hand" made aspect of the early cars and just decided it was how the car was built. I suspect the OP car is something like that. It is just built a little off.

George Vosburgh and turbo-joe like this.
  12. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Don't knock the Tercel - it was called Corsa in Japan.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hand made cars ! ! ! so nothing with a fabrication line. giovanni had too much lambrusco the day before, pedro had a bad day and luigi was tired. but all working on the same car :)

rumen1 likes this.
  14. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Germany, the Czech Republic, and Lithuania are the heaviest-drinking countries in Europe, while Norway and Italy recorded the lowest consumption of alcohol across the continent.Sep 6, 2019

:rolleyes:

15. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I think Brian's main point may have been missed. The shocks and to some degree the bushings will cause different measurements from when the car was operating and driven for years to when the car unloaded, rested and reassembled. Driving the car more 200 miles may change the measurement again after it fully loads and unloads and torques several times. But I also agree the hand assembled motor cars can have a lot of deviation.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Our TR has about 20,000 on it, we have owned it since it had 1000 miles. Has never been wrecked. LR wheel sticks out maybe 3mm and fender on RR sticks out maybe 8mm further than tire. Pretty standard deviations for the period.

Like I said....Toyota Tercel will solve his hand wringing.

Never measured ours till yesterday because after 40+ years in Ferrari business I fully accept such signs of hand craftsmanship as a "No extra charge" feature.

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I had the same problem...
    I brought it to Vito Delmonico..
    He fixed it Good! and added 1000 extra HP

Quote Vito:
    I ma gonna fixa you upa Real Good!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Enzo Ferrari: Symmetry is for people who cannot build engines.

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    ???
    :) :) :)

20. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That's a great picture!