“Bricked” SF90 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

“Bricked” SF90

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by gclemons, Jun 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TRujder

TRujder Rookie

Mar 16, 2022

I do not want to go into much details and argumentation, but I quickly checked my SF90 owners manual and it states the same, Always charged the car when not in used otherwise permanent damage can occur to both batteries. It even says, the car MUST be connected when not in used for more than one week.

The manual also specifically mentions that supplied power lead is designed as battery charger and also as a battery conditioner.

I guess it is car and brand specific, and not sure whether Kia uses the same system.... La Ferrari system is like that. You should not charge La Ferrari all the time. SF90 is apparently different.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    This is your prerogative but you are depriving yourself on an unbelievable experience and you are basing that on some outliers, what you see in this thread is far detached from the overall picture out there.

I've had had zero issues with my car and have used it more than 5,000 km so far and more than one year of ownership. Knowing how good this car is I would be happy if works just half the time only LOL, I would still have one, that's my opinion anyway.

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    that all depends on the drive you are looking for

4. Those are for EV.

The SF90 is not an EV.

It is a PHEV.

The system in the Ferrari monitors the battery and will recharge (or discharge) based on the battery level and driving conditions.

If I were an SF90 owner, I would just leave it plugged-in at home.

5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    If the Ferrari system charges the battery to 100% and hold it there, that's a problem, that is a general battery problem regardless of size of battery or purpose. Question is, does the Ferrari system attempt to maintain the battery "SOC" at 100% ?

6. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #81 gzachary, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    During the period of the torrential downpour here in California, I didn't get in my 296 for over 2+ weeks.

Well, I finally hop in the car and I was surprised by something that is not in the owners manual and relevant to this discussion. If I remember 100% accurately (brain was warped from living inside in a 2 week rain waterfall), the 296 charger is smarter than any of the past model trickle chargers.

Paraphrasing here. On the screen it said blah blah “long term parking mode” “charge at 80%.” And the battery was at 80%. So Ferrari knows to charge to 80%. I would guess they buy the charger and it's receiver including semiconductors from an outside company. Just like C-Tek was a charging OEM for previous cars. It's just logical that they would do that because making a charger shouldn't be a core competency for them, just an outsource.

It's in their interest to make the battery system work properly. If it doesn't, then their changing brand would get hammered in the hybrid engine transition.

I will ask my service manager if he is aware of this on any other car.

JTSE30 likes this.
  7. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Here is the checkbox setting for the feature. “Long parking mode.” So maybe it acts like a trickle charger day to day during use and then goes into the 80% charge mode “long parking mode” after X days. As I mentioned, I noticed it after not using car for 2-3 week range.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

348ts92, saadxj220 and of2worlds like this.
  8. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    I have more than 10 different cars from different manufacturers, models etc. (I know I have a problem but I can not help myself LOL)
    They all have different “personalities” and I enjoy every single one of them for different reasons, to me the SF90 is one of the most enjoyable multi faceted car experience I’ve had to date, I can not image a car enthusiast not enjoying being behind the wheel of a SF90 unless certain bias and preconceptions are at play.

Having said that, I am not here trying to sell you and anyone else a car, all I am doing is trying to share my experiences and hopefully add some value to someone who wants my perspective.

JSwan724, paulchua, Gh21631 and 3 others like this.
  9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes, i have some experience with a wide range of cars....
    and i have driven the sf90, and was very impressed.
    but the issues brought up in this thread and elsewhere regarding the battery, and the lack of any ability to remedy these on your own, dissuade me from this car.
    and then there is the issue of what else is available at that price range...and then it becomes even more difficult to justify.

my other current problem is the lack of decent fun driving roads in close proximity - when i lived full time in switzerland there were plenty there and nearby countries, whereas now in texas...not so much unless i want to drive 200 miles away.

amenasce and Fortis like this.
  10. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    What does ‘Long parking mode’ do?

My 296 strangely lost all the power after just 2 weeks of sittibg in the garage without charge.

SF90 had no issue and my second car , AF SF90 didn’t even have ‘Long parking mode’ in the setting at all.

If it somehow affects how the battery behaves while sitting in the garage without charger, I would want to know…

11. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California

The only thing I know that the "Long parking mode" did was show was that it set "charge to 80%." I couldn't tell anything or see anything else. I could not find anything in either the car or charger manual. I had the 296 attached to the charger the whole time.

When I had my SF90, I didn't notice this. But I did drive the car every week. As well as having it on the charger.

I wish I had more information for all of us. But that's all I know.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Thanks.

I looked up Sf90 manual as well as 296 ‘again’.
    Couldn’t find anything.

I will drop the car off to service to reset the battery after it ran dry which is recommended, so I will ask tomorrow.

Sf90 long park 2-3week without charge was no problem.

Recent severe winter temp drop might triggered this dry out but I somehow feel battery in 296 is smaller than sf90 since it runs out of juice at the point where sf90 had 2-3bars left passing that exact point.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Let us know. Interestingly, the first time I drove the car after "long parking mode," I had a check engine light come on. I usually get that after I have stored a car for 1-2 months and the battery is a little bit low on voltage. So maybe the 12V car battery was a bit low. Don't know.

14. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    lol............. I mean, what did you guys expect from an electric car?

15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Reliability?? Lol

16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    That takes balls the size of an elephant to ask YOU if you "value your relationship with Ferrari" after the car's been in the dealership 8+ times.

17. sean711

sean711 Rookie

Nov 29, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Sean J.
    Update: Dealership is buying it back this week. Car has been sitting there since the first week of November.

dhlnb, willcrook, x z8 and 8 others like this.
  18. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Still waiting for Italy to answer the question regarding long parking mode.

296 the first ones came with litium 12v like sf90 which in turn seems to last longer than normal 12v.

296 now a days gets normal 12v and it needs attention which is what I heard from the service.

Still doesn't convince me at all since like someone mentioned in 296 forum car lasted 5weeks no charge.

Can this just be a difference between 12v battery ingredients??

19. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    Mine "bricked" in my garage and the guys from Ferrari came and together we pushed it out into the street so the tow truck could come get it. WOW the release to get it in neutral was deep deep in there. We had this special 3 foot long screwdriver thingy that did it but stupidly, or smartly I can't tell, the thing had to stay twisted or it would auto spring back to locked. It was comical, three of us pushing the car and one of us holding the tool. Was tough to get out but we finally did. The Ferrari service was great as usual and had it back to me working perfectly a week later. Some sort of issue where the battery wasn't charging.
    Regarding the car. Well. . . it's ridiculously fast. In my humble opinion, it is too fast and shouldn't be legal. It just feels. . . I hate to say it but Chris Harris (I don't really like him) nailed it. It's an incredible car. It just doesn't feel like a proper Ferrari. It has a different feel to it. I prefer my F8. If I was being really honest, I like my old and gone 458's and F12 over both of them. But don't get me wrong. It's an incredible car.

20. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Glad your car got sorted and back to you quickly. With regards to the SF90 and F8 comparison, I respectfully disagree. While I own and love both cars, I much prefer the SF90. Steering is markedly heavier in the F8 and there’s definitely a turbo lag that doesn’t exist in the SF90.

21. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So even ferraris with turbos have lag??

Apparently they are less so than mcclaren?

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #97 paulchua, Feb 14, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    My family has owned electric cars now for over ten years. (among various ICE cars as well)

EVs have been far more reliable (powertrain) than any of my ICE cars in the previous 30 years.

The issues come up with the infotainment or the trick gadgets, think software. Par for the course, the good thing with those bugs is an over-the-air update will remedy them, something that solid-state hardware is not possible. When you realize an electric engine is the size of a stack of frisbees, you have that exact aha moment when you see the first flat-panel TV vs. a CRT.

Now in terms of issues with the SF90 itself, can you tell me more about these early model Ferrari that has Toyotaesque reliability? Would I love to know about these ultra-reliable exotics!

23. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Same experience my buddy had where the dealership bought back his bricked SF90.

24. sean711

sean711 Rookie

Nov 29, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Sean J.
    Did his happen repeatedly?

25. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mere speculation but perhaps akin to Porsches "battery saver" ? When I leave my 458 and GT3 Touring undriven for same amount of time the Porsche automatically goes into battery saver mode and displays so when starting with instructions to drive "lengthy distance"

I suspect it auto disables anything putting drain on the battery thar is not critical.

FWIW

j09333 likes this.