Texas Barn Find! #05810 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Texas Barn Find! #05810

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Jan 30, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I can't believe how fast you're working on this car. You just got it and it's already apart!

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All I have in my records was it was 7824. It was for sale in 2018 and was located somewhere between Spicewood and Llano.

Dave Olimpi may still have his contact info.

3. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    finally separated the steering hub from the shaft. I tried PB Blaster for 3 days, heat, hub puller but it wouldn't budge. So today we got the whole steering assembly out which was not easy! Had to remove the dash to get too it. Normally you take out the hub, then the switches and housing and then the dash. We had to cut up the hub to finally separate it. At least it is a readily available part. Then back to stripping parts off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

franmort and George Vosburgh like this.
  4. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    As I suggested before; "What's wrong with MR. Lee's 400HP Dino", NOTHING!!!
    Maybe it is time we all welcome all Dino's into the fold, modernized or not? An example I used was historic homes. Noone shuns homes with total updating of essentials; plumbing, electric etc. So should we accept updated dino's like Mr. Lee's! Yeah for OMG JON.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Sold by Gooding at 2019 Amelia Island auction.

I know somebody that was there and was a bidder on it, with the price being low, I asked how come it did not sell for higher, and he made a comment about how you should have seen it up close.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I just looked up the catalog. I have no idea how in the one photograph it could have been made to look that good. It might have had a quicky paint job because the car in my shop looked nowhere near that. Either that or Goodings is resorting to Photoshop.

And the auction description is a work of fiction.

7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I can't say I'm much of a fan for Mr. Lee's Dino, however what Jon is doing is very similar to what Newman does with the BB series. These cars will all go another 50 years after the restoration.

JL350 likes this.
  8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I've only contemplated a color change and deleting USA side markers!!

9. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In your experience do structural changes like side marker deletion negatively impact resale value? One of the reasons I got a Euro was I didn’t like the US lighting changes but was concerned about deleting them impacting the car’s value.

10. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    I have owned my GT since 1974. In 1996 I started my slow restoration. I never thought I would own a new car for so long that I would need to restore it- but cracking paint and rust forced my hand. Twelve years later I was done.

When faced with restoring back to USA stock or Euro I went Euro. It was not as straightforward as I thought it would be. It took many tries to correctly fabricate the "very simple" front turn signals sheet metal. I also installed headlight covers, did not correctly paint the bottom satin black, and did not install the Euro side lights. So a Euro mongrel.

Well, the truth is I would have painted the satin black correctly-but every time I taped off the cut lines on the front nose, I just could not make it look correct enough so I just did the rocker panels.

My reasons for going Euro were that I prefer the purity of the Euro look, and It is my Dino and I can do what I want with it. I am at an advantage since I have owned mine for so long that I did not have to worry about losing my "investment" by my modifications.

If I was restoring it now-- I would go Euro again. I did save all of the USA turn signal sheet metal and all of the US bits if some future owner wants to change it back.

I remember when Jon began restoring Dinos as a passion. I believe that on one of his early restorations, he created a "flairs and chairs" reproduction. I guess we could look at what it has sold for recently-if it has changed hands-as to a guide to what the current market punishes Dinos which have been modified.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

franmort and TonyL like this.
  11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I am all for evolution but prefer detail and if I can keep it within the grounds of its originality then I will.

What I dont understand is we berate cars & their owners that dont have matching engine numbers, gearbox or body numbers etc etc yet accept a V8 conversion with open arms. My biggest pet hate is the stupid reference to "low mileage" car for sale. Nothing worse than a low mileage classic car for seized parts.

Eltel246 and isuk like this.
  12. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    When I first tried my hand at restoring a Dino I really had no clue what I was doing or what was important. Sooooo the first one I added flares and when I sold it there was no discount for what I did. I have evolved over the years and now I would never do flares and most of what I do I keep original with few changes. I have no problem deleting USA lights as they were designed as an after thought just to meet USA regulations. I also have no problem with a color change as long it was a color that was originally offered. There were so many good colors on these cars in most cases there is no need for a color change. In the early 80's about the time the paint would start looking shabby so many were repainted to red and I would say the majority of the projects that came to me were red (not original) and most went back to original colors. I don't think a color change to a period correct color hurts the value. There are many who want their cars just as it left the factory and I totally understand that also.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #38 Rifledriver, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    Its a big group of people. I think you will find extremely few who both accept an engine conversion and berate lack of matching numbers. You are referring to two distinctly different groups.

I have been in the Ferrari service business for a very long time and have experienced many and in fact bought a very low mileage car. The negatives are often overblown to the extreme and the positives in many cases far outweigh them. There are as many variables in the statement as there are individual cars and the blanket statement could not be more misleading.

ghenne and Ira Schwartz like this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #39 Rifledriver, Feb 8, 2023
    Except on specific historically important cars there has never been a very high degree of resistance to color changes provided the color is kept to an appropriate one. Most easily reversed changes meet similar acceptance. Dinos are not terribly rare so a few being restored to inexact configuration is not the end of the world. It not like modifying a Superfast or something. The upside of many cars being brought out and saved from rotting away far out weighs any of that in my opinion and I am an Honors level concours judge and former member of the IAC/PFA preservation board.

15. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    As you judge the Ferrari, what do you give for points when you see the wiring bundle is changed out and new does not have correct markings?
    The Dino has the Cavis authentic wiring with each wire markings easy for judge to see right by fused boxes.
    The judge does not have any effort to examination of these when hood is open but in these restorations original copper wires are gone...and their original markings

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #41 Rifledriver, Feb 8, 2023
    Incorrect wiring would be a deduction. Correct wire with correct tracers are available.

A friend in Virginia makes reproduction harnesses with all correct wire including fabric insulated if correct and fabric bundled if correct.

I do not believe in the case of these Dino's he has made any claim of being concours correct, in fact the opposite is true so what is your point? .

In fact, most restorations that are claimed to be concours correct are not. Nothing new there. A few regular posters to this board claim to restore cars yet never subject them to peer review so who knows how accurate their claim is? This is nothing like those examples.

Edward 96GTS and Sergio Tavares like this.
  17. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Mark, I love the look of the red-painted front pan, coupled with the headlight covers and the wiper removal. Bravo! Fred

MarkT likes this.
  18. Spider2400

Spider2400 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2015
    Am sat here in freezing London, and was longingly looking at some real estate in LLano earlier today.. maybe I should ask the vendors if they have any interesting old wrecks in their barns :rolleyes:

19. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    You should advise mods when you do that so we can watch the carnage. :)

20. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I think he's a coward!! I replied to his email and was very nice in my response. I asked what type of cars he had and what was his opinion of Singer Porsche and their creations or Rod Emory and his Porsche 356 creations. Of course he never replied. I would say he just did a hit and run on me!!

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #46 Rifledriver, Feb 8, 2023
    Llano is a nice area. A friend lives on a few acres right on the river.

Spider2400 likes this.
  22. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Tomorrow the motor comes out, suspension and a few odds and ends and then all that's left is the fiberglass, which is always no fun and the wiring harness. If you notice the door garnish rail is stamped with a different # somebody picked up the wrong part at the factory!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

franmort, DrDweeb and crinoid like this.
  23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Jedi, franmort, BigTex and 8 others like this.
  24. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    franmort and George Vosburgh like this.
  25. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    If Fred Thompson objects to your colour change Jon I wonder what sort of rage he will fly into over this car I discovered on instagram this morning pictured at a London car wash centre. Non original Dino colour, seats trimmed in a non-factory way with coloured inserts on the head rests, lower blacking lines missing and the Cromodora wheels painted black.

Image Unavailable, Please Login