Is David Bull still publishing? | FerrariChat

Is David Bull still publishing?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bitzman, Feb 6, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I started out looking for the book John Lamm wrote with Phil Hill-more a reprint of his articles about Ferrari in which Hill was involved. That's a $79 book but then I saw on their website a $600-plus book on Ferrari. I tried to call them on the phone number on their website but number is not in service. Were the books shipped out anyway if they closed? Anybody got anything to say about either book?

Attached Files:

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have the book you show above, but have not had the time to read it.

As for David Bull I can only say that most of his titles are now out of print it seems.
    Available thru internet sources but not directly from him.

The "Ducati 999" for example now brings $299 per copy if available.

I may have the John Lamm book you seek also, a recent flood has me reordering much of my library and realizing the library is too large!
    HTH

3. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Until your post I had no idea that the Del Monte book has become a collectors item! It's for me one of the reference books on the life of Enzo Ferrari (although I certainly don't have the full overview as someone as Marcel...). I have bought it at a normal price just a very few years ago. Not sure anymore how much, but I think double-digits... Nowhere close to 600$ or the 375 at which it is listen on Amazon...

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #4 BigTex, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Ferrari: Stories from those that lived the Legend

John Lamm

With Phil Hill, Mario Andretti, Denise mcCluggage et al....
    Sergio Pininfarina, Sam Posey, Paul Frere, Brian Redmond

This one also appears to be unread.....even sadder that many of the authors have passed away.
    Although as Bitzman alludes many of these may have been articled for R&T initially.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #5 BigTex, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Let me talk to you, from the Twilght Zone.

At the height of the '80s, maybe even the '90s, Enzo's demise had raised awareness of "all things Ferrari" and these authors could expect to move a lot of copies, thru nationwide book sellers as well as specialty boutiques. We are now at the other end of the teelscope, with printing costs even thru China soaring to astronimical prices, making the current Press Runs MUCH smaller and driving the retail $$$ thru the roof on special interest books. Maybe 2000 copies, total....

I researched one title at an Estate Sale to find it sold so poorly the publisher destroyed HALF of the books to maintain his Retail $$ expectatons
    That's just Orwellian, to me, but it did maintain the book set 2 volumes at $1400 to $2000 in the secondary market.

Whil a small percentage of my total collection I've lost about 200 titles to water damage, and my adjuster's head is swimming three months later.
    Hot Rods, Ducatis, Surfing, Hunting Fishing, mountaineering, Ferraris....a neighbor looked at it all moulderig in my truck bed and observed "You're an interesting guy"....

Madonna's SEX of 1992 was the high value book, at over $600
    Bo Diddly 1962 LP barely hit $50, and Strawberry Hill by Fats Domino had little value at all...

It's an upside down world, but hope this explains why the Secondary Market is so strong on some of these titles, and new ones are all but unaffordable.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    David Bull has passed as well, if I m not mistaken.
    ????

It was odd on Facebook yesterday, to see everyone wishing Kirk F White a cheerful Happy Birthday.
    I dusted the Sunoco 512, as part of my general reasembly of my library..

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There are lots of people who passed away yet whose Facebook accounts are left active: Stephen Mitchell, Ed Niles, Kirk White etc...or at least I have seen them being mentioned, referred to or wished happy bdays.

FB is a mess, they don't seem to solve these issues or to delete ads for dishonest companies, shameful. I only joined because people I collaborated with insisted I do...

Lusso123 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    By coincidence I received today an email from David Bull Publishing - a poll to assess the interest in the publication of "Volumes 4 & 5 of the late Tim Considine's award winning Twice Around the Clock: The Yanks at Le Mans". The offer would be a package with the Volumes 1 to 3, allegedly at a discounted price.

To be honest, I have no idea about the actual value (not price, which is easy to look for on the web) so for now I did not answer.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I received that email too. Considine’s work has been well reviewed, but I consider it to be more of a reference work, so I don’t have enough interest in it to spend the necessary $$. I’ve been led to believe that Bull will publish the Chinetti/N.A.R.T. book, but who knows when?

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    +1

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I just asked Janos Wimpffen whether there is any update on Chinetti/N.A.R.T., will let you know when I hear back.

Lusso123 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well I am wracking up the pretty girls that want to "Friend" me and then move to WhatsApp..:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    ...like those who see you near expensive cars on Instagram and want in:D:rolleyes:

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm not IG at all....but yes...."I saw your posts and think you are the MOST interesting person!

Next thing you know some Megabuck scammer is getting his Bugatti taken away...
    It's been a steep and painful learning curve tho!!

15. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    The $675 is for the "Publisher's Edition" which is "...bound with Schedoni Ferrari red leather and will be signed by numerous drivers and other significant members of the Ferrari organization. It will be limited to 265 copies" and which it says will be available soon. Not the standard edition.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    So regarding the David Bull Chinetti Nart book project by the late Michael Lynch I heard back from Janos Wimpffen. For the sake of confidentiality let's just say that it is all a hopeless bag of legal knots right now and that the project is very much stalled.

When an author passes it is bad enough but when author and publisher are both gone then it gets complicated...as is the case here. So don't hold your breath.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Fred Simeone was the driving force behind the project. Now that he's gone no one seems to know what to do?

ggjjr and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    So that's three people involved deceased, a pilotless plane...

ggjjr and Rosey like this.
  19. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    :(

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Very disappointing.

Rosey and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, but not very surprising.

22. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    There is another NART book. i reviewed it but was surprised it had so few personal stories, and the author complained to me he couldn't get interviews with Coco Chinetti. Like writing About the royal family without going to England. i suppose the publisher saw a niche and found someone to fill that subject but the fun part of a NART book would be the behind the scenes battles between Chinettis and ferrari.

23. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    David Bull sent me a book which was damaged. They have not responded to any of my emails showing photos and do not seem to care one iota.

24. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    I am pleased to report that they have now reacted in a positive manner and all is resolved.

25. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    My experience has been that Maria Bull, David Bull's sister, is trying very hard to put everything in order.

Rosey and Seppefan like this.