Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qksilver, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Eric,

I am thinking Header with 200 Cell Cats. Leaving the center muffler then leaving the rear tubi's or adding the rear mufflers as they just look so nice! Especially the tips!

2. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Daniel,

I watched all of your videos and I really liked the sounds.

The raspy sound without CAT's is definitely not for me.

Are you still running the rear Fuch's Silencer or did Fabio make you a Silencer?

3. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    I have Fabio headers, high-flow cats, special silencers and stock mufflers on my US 599. If someone can instruct me how to capture the sound properly, I would be more than happy to give it a shot.

Condor Man likes this.
  4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Just record it with your phone and then upload to Youtube. That would be the easiest.

5. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Just in the cabin? Windows open or closed?

6. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Try both to see what is better.

May the Horse be with you

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Here is a new video that has been posted.

Surprised that it crackles and pops so much.

May the Horse be with you

F456M likes this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Most of Fabio's exhausts have some kind of bypass valves that are user-controlled, including one he provides as an option. If you are in Sport (warmed up) and the valves are open, you will get a pop on upshifts and a nice burble on downshifts. If the valves are controlled by the ECU, you do not get most of those noises because the valves snap shut as soon as you lift the throttle during normal driving. At full throttle on upshifts with the valves ECU controlled, you may still get the upshift pop, but the shift may be too fast for any cold air to get back into the tailpipes and create the pop.

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    around the 2:30 mark....."the crackles and pops"......even though he doesn't care for it....I like that! ;-)

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Simple solution to that, do not open the valves.

11. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The pops and crackles are pretty easy to manipulate. If you keep toeing the line between throttle/coasting it’ll pop a bunch. If you coast or keep your foot on the throttle it will yield far less. It does pop/crackle more when it’s hot. I find it fun and authentic.

Ferrari55whoa and Condor Man like this.
  12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I can actually calibrate this as an option/feature in my special ECU programming which is specifically tailored for Fabio system owners, so the snap off times for activation of fuel cut are relaxed and this can even be done at a specific rpm range.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

F456M and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  13. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    The pops and crackles are fuel igniting in the exhaust, dating back from the carburetted days when fuel control was not as precise as with fuel injection and it was not possible to cut completey fuel delivery when closing the throttle(s), especially when running oversized jets in the carbs on race cars. This may be cool to some but letting fuel ignite and explode in the exhaust is a bad idea and only a sign of poor combustion and/or tuning... It hurts me whenever I hear a Huracan drive by and make these ridiculous noises. OEMs do that because that's what clueless buyers want.

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I equate the “pops and crackles” to using an old school calculator and typing in 5318008….

I personally enjoy both! ;-)….

greg246 likes this.
  15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Timmo- Very poor explanation of the popping and crackling. The cause is actually not excessive fuel in the exhaust, but the normal amount of atomized fuel combined with cold air entering the tailpipes when the throttle is lifted and a partial vacuum is created. It is not a sign of poor combustion or tuning in a modern fuel-injected engine.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  16. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    tazandjan, leave all of your theories aside for a moment and go learn and tune a few carburetted and injected engines. Have a nice day too.

17. D-bling

D-bling Karting

Jun 25, 2010
    Add me to the list of Fabio exhaust owners! I have a 1998 550, Rosso Barchetta with Cuoio interior . Since the vehicle is 25 years old it only requires a safety inspection so I ordered the 6-1 race headers. I already installed Larini X pipe and Tubi mufflers. Cannot wait to hear the beautiful music of that V12.

18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I can’t wait for a video as well! What state are you in?

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Timmo- Been doing that since before you were born. Corvettes to Porsches to Ferraris.

JackCongo likes this.
  20. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    #470 Timmo, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Fuel burning into the exhaust and making "pops and crackles" on a fuel-injected engine in a street car is a sign of poor tune, full stop, and I am not going to repeat or expand over what I already said two posts earlier, especially since you seem to know better than most, like way too many folks who have reached a certain age and know zero about tuning with a modern ECU yet claim otherwise. I am just glad you do not tune my engines.

21. D-bling

D-bling Karting

Jun 25, 2010
    Dallas Texas!

ralfabco likes this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Timmo- If you do not understand how something works, why comment on it? All of the 550s and 575Ms with Fabio's or SuperSprint's headers can make nice pops and burbles with the valves open, and there is nothing wrong with the tuning on them.

23. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    #473 Timmo, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Lol Terry, I could say the exact the same thing about you.
    There is nothing nice about pops and crackles as it is, I repeat, a sign of a poor tune. People seem to accept it on aftermarket exhausts and believe the new exhaust causes this when it's only because the engine was not retuned to suit the new exhaust. Messing with pulse waves needs adjustment within the ECU (mostly the ignition timing map) but then I guess this is not something you ever explored with your carburetted engines, and that's fine by me btw, but please don't spread misinformation.

24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Don't even know how this little debate started but actually it's not typically a "bad" tune thing but more a "deliberate" thing.

In some cases it could be construed as bad because it's unburned fuel lighting off in the tailpipe but as always reasoning can be more complicated than that. We all like different things so what one person hates another likes.

Many stock Factory firmware calibrations actually do it and they spent many hundreds of man hours on dynos. So no it's not really bad tuning at all in many cases especially in these cases where it's actually designed in.

There is in fact a set of factory calibration maps which are known as the delay time for fuel cut off and it's here where you can calibrate for any given temperature range how much time the fuel injectors are left ON for a given rpm range before the fuel cut kicks in, after you come off the throttle.

This, ignition timing and the given Air fuel ratio controls the amount popping you'll hear. If you dial in rich fuel and mess with the ignition at lower torque areas of the throttle requests your effectively putting neat fuel into the tailpipe which comes into contact with the hot gases flow can get quite significant pops. Dial it in too far and you'll actually damage your cats (they don't like too much unburned fuel). It will also waste fuel and begin to annoy you so it's got to be subtle!

In most cases actually it's done as a "contrived" thing (especially on factory calibrated cars) these days to add back in some audible differences and fun.

On some Ferrari's you'll hear it even on stock programming because they tend to run rich anyway and if you delete cats it will become much more noticeable.

So yes, some will not like it but it actually does not always point to bad tunes. For instance you may wish to run your combustion richer for good reasons, extra fuel can be used to cool the combustion chamber or heads and reduce tendancy for knock and especially on older less emissions concerned maps of the vintage.

white out and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  25. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Imo the less back pressure from Fabio's 6-1 system (also with the cats) increases these pops.
    At the 575 much more than at the 550 and at the 599 also.

Daniel