355 - Unobtainium Manual Conversion Parts | FerrariChat

355 Unobtainium Manual Conversion Parts

Discussion in '348/355' started by JRD-DE, Jan 2, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JRD-DE

JRD-DE Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Stuttgart
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dawber
    Morning all

I've managed to source almost all of the parts I need to convert my 98 F1 to manual gearbox control.

However a couple of the parts i need seem to be completely unavailable, so I wanted to ask if anyone has them, or knows of where i can source them. The missing bits are:

Item 5 - 154745 - BALL
    Item 6 - 154741 - BALL CONTAINING BUSHING

The 2nd part must be a service item, so surprising that it's not possible to locate.

Alternatively, i have access to a pretty good machine shop, along with some fancy 3D printers, so if anyone can measure these parts I could get them recreated!

thanks

Joe

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If you can machine #5, that would be a great service to the community. It's a simple part, impossible to find, and I have one. Happy to share for production purposes.

As for #6, Eric at Stradale Cars in the Netherlands 3D printed a run of them. You can contact him here: https://www.stradalecars.com/nl/

Wsmatau, Bas, ShineKen and 2 others like this.
  3. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Nice project Joseph, are you listed ALL parts you need to do the conversion ? Could you please share this list ?

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's a simple part#5, what material is the ball? Send me the specs if you can. It's harder to do that one would think due to the material holding.

Is the oem #6 plastic, I suspect not as that would wear. that's also easy to make out of aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G990U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Flynt

Flynt Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    I could lend both if needed. My car (98) is in a million pieces.

Qavion likes this.
  6. JRD-DE

JRD-DE Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Stuttgart
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dawber

Thanks for that! I'll try and make contact with Eric, perhaps he'd be willing to share the 3D geometry with me.

Do you have any capability to measure the ball part? It looks like it should be pretty straightforwards, but maybe i am underestimating the geometry.

Looking at the image i found (attached) it looks like some kind of glass filled nylon, but it could just be dusty!

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'd make that bushing above in oilon.

8. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I have calipers and will get the specs for you

JRD-DE likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  10. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Okay, here are some pics and specs for the ball.

First, the extremely painstakingly drawn and highly professional sketch of the ball measurements:

And some reference pics. Note the chamfer around the inside edge of the main hole. It's .5mm and the top face of the hole is 1mm width. Everything else is very simple.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NeuroBeaker, Carmellini and Qavion like this.
  11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Should be an easy item to machine on a mill.

Appears to be steel, and all drill and machined edges have been chamfered.

12. JRD-DE

JRD-DE Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Stuttgart
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dawber
    Excellent Work!

I've thrown those into a drawing, hopefully captures everything.

3D files - https://www.printables.com/model/359354-ferrari-f355-gearstick-pivot-ball

Before I get my guy to machine one, i'll DLP print it in some good quality resin to try if it all fits OK.

Eric @ Stradale got back to me, seems they are planning on having a batch made of the bushing part, cost is around 70€ plus VAT & Delivery. I would prefer to get hold of an original if possible, so we can have a 3D model / design that we can share within the owner group for when it's needed.

Attached Files:

13. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I would check my diameter measurements for the main hole and the pin hole against the gear shift lever and retaining pin. The pin is interference fit so it has to be precise. I measured the pin diameter and both it and the pin hole were 3.5mm on my caliper, but I am using simple stuff whose resolution isn't that good past 1/4 mm. The main hole isn't as important since the fit is just to allow the shift lever to press down when you go into reverse.

14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I have nothing to add other than noting that threads like this are what FChat is all about :cool:

15. JRD-DE

JRD-DE Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Stuttgart
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dawber
    Bit of an update (i know.... no-one cares :))

After measuring up my gearstick i made some small changes to the ball part, new drawing attached in case anyone wants.... I DLP printed it to do some trial assemblies etc. Came out quite nice.

I decided to have a go at recreating the bushing part myself too based on measurements from the housing. A couple of protos in PLA to adjust and then this one is printed in PVDF. Just FDM printing, so not the best quality, but PVDF is quite a high performance plastic, good creep resistance, high temps etc. but for this application it has a really low coefficient of friction, which should suit well.

Assembled together

The action is super smooth. I'm waiting for some roll pins (M4x36mm) and then i can do some assembly trials. As said i'll get the ball part machined up out of metal eventually, but at least for checking my dimensions are correct this will be good enough.

Attached Files:

16. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Fantastic work.

17. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Very nice results here. Keeping these cars on the road will require efforts such as these.

Targatime likes this.
  18. JRD-DE

JRD-DE Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Stuttgart
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dawber
    Carmellini likes this.
  19. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    If someone is going to make a run of any or all of these parts I’d like to buy two of each plus happy to contribute a bit more to offset R&D. Thanks!

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Can someone 3D print the challenge steering rack :)?

21. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Heck I'd just settle for the lowly little gear that fails in the vent diverter assembly. I'm a simple man.

Philipnz likes this.
  22. JRD-DE

JRD-DE Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Stuttgart
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dawber
    Progress is being made on this thing. The gearstick assembly is now in place, all seems pretty good, it's nice and smooth and returns to centre well. This is a hill engineering gate, much cheaper than a 2nd hand factory one.

The hole in the 3D printed space plate needs enlarging, couldn't get that last screw in!

Also have been working on the pedals. 3D printed mock up of how i think the clutch pedal should be, it's still not 100% correct, but before i get some metal parts laser cut I will print a "final" version.

In case anyone is ever looking, I found that an LPR 7102 clutch cylinder;

https://www.motointegrator.de/artikel/275932-geberzylinder-kupplung-lpr-7102

Is almost identical to the 355 one. Only difference being that the holes (where it bolts into position) are threaded, so drilling them out to 8mm solves the problem.

I think i'll get extra metal parts cut for the pedal design, should help cover the costs a bit if i can sell a few sets after!

cavlino, JSinNOLA and Qavion like this.
  23. JRD-DE

JRD-DE Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Stuttgart
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dawber
    Fail..... Clutch pedal too far to the left.

Can anyone with a manual car please measure the gap between the pedals for me so I can adjust my design. Thanks!

davem likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'd give you mine, but I can't guarantee LHD is the same as RHD.

Would you need the distance beween the pedals or the pedal arms?

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    After looking at mine, there would be no point giving you my RHD measurements....

Too much curve on the lower part of the arms (and I couldn't fit my caliper higher up into the footwell) .... and my pedals are bigger than yours...

Anyway, for comparison on my car....

... the average distance between the brake and clutch (top to bottom) was around 58mm. The accelerator pedal was set too far back and angled to get a proper measurement, but I estimate (laterally) at the point shown... 55mm

308 GTB likes this.