Best classic cars to actually drive | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Best classic cars to actually drive

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bullfighter, Jan 4, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    True, but from a 2023 perspective these flaws can be and usually have been remedied. Timing chain tensioner retrofits, for example, are common.

The first generation 964s lacked a head gasket and were notorious for serious oil leaks. But at this point they’ve been resealed or rebuilt, to the extent that I would be comfortable buying a properly documented early 964 and using it.

While there are Achilles’ Heels, these seem to be fewer and more correctable than in contemporary British cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'll never understand Germans. They either overkill or do something really stupid.

JCR and Bullfighter like this.
  3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    For those still keeping score:

Step 1: 40k service filled it with specified amount of oil
    Step 2: Drove 50+ miles for oil to read -- and get "oil level too high, have car serviced".
    Step 3: Drive back to service, have them drain some oil
    Step 4: Drive 50+ miles for oil to read -- and get "oil low, add 1 quart max"
    Step 5: Decided to buy a quart instead of go back to service, so I could control the quantity and not risk an overfill, added 3/4 of that quart bottle
    Step 6: Waited through 3 days of driving to oil level to read, now showing half-way between the high/low marks
    Step 7: Added the remaining 1/4 of a quart
    Step 8: (TBD) Drive 50+ miles for oil level to read, hope to god it's not overfilled again

4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Peter when you took it in to have some oil drained did they mention how they were going to find out how much oil to drain to get it to the proper level?

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you're talking about a Porsche, you need to be aware the oil drain plug uses a crush washer that cannot be reused. Don't ask how I know this to be true.

6. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    My BMW is similar, at least with regards to the lack of dipstick. It's kind of interesting - the oil level sensor reads how fast the oil gets to temp, and based on that it deduces the oil level. Why on earth they went this route vs a simple dipstick is beyond me, it's the dumbest thing about the car. Well, that and if the battery is disconnected and you shut the trunk (battery is in the trunk) there is no easy way to open the trunk (think endoscope camera and a 4' steel rod bent into a hook fished between the seats to pull the trunk emergency release).

But I digress.

A few thousand miles ago, my oil level was reading all over the place, then quit reading altogether, so I replaced the sensor shortly thereafter at the next oil change; problem solved. Weird that it takes your Porsche that long to read the level, is that normal? With the BMW it's about 8-10 minutes, once the car is fully warm. I'd wonder if the sensor is bad.

Overall, I love the car, but I really miss having a dipstick.

peterp likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yeah, sometimes I miss my ex-wife too….

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I don’t believe any of the aforementioned qualify as a “Classic Car”.
    Most examples on this thread seem more like later (or older) model “used cars”.
    For more accurate definition of “Classic Car” you might wish to visit C.C.C.A. website.

technom3 likes this.
  9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ????????

Needless stirring of the pot in my opinion. What "classic car" means depends on the context of the discussion. "Classic" means something different among Ferrari cars for example, or in the context set in the original post. CCCA's interpretation is good for CCCA's niche perspective as a club for pre-war cars, but it has little relevance outside of that niche. I don't know one single person who would follow their guidance of calling cars from 1915 to 1948 "classic" -- the vast, vast majority would call them "vintage" or even "antique" in the earliest years -- but "classic"? Not likely for anyone outside of CCCA.

Since the post you quoted is the original post, that sets the context for the thread, and the examples he gives defines what he means by "classic cars" for this discussion.

Tony K and Bullfighter like this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps time for a nap or tea to calm down ?

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's normal for the Macan -- not sure why -- it takes about 50 miles of driving before it will give you any oil level reading. The Audi Q5 we had before the Macan behaved the same. I never had any overfill or underfill from service with the Audi, but it's happened twice in a row with the Macan (under by 1 qt at the 30k service, over by 1 qt at the 40k). My 996 has an electronic gauge and a countdown clock, not sure why the Macan/Q5 are that way.

Maybe they do it intentionally to discourage DIY oil changes -- that's the only reason I can think of. There's no way it takes 50 miles to get an accurate reading, that's for sure.

audi_328 likes this.
  12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    This list of classic cars is really an eye opener for me. People thinking cars from the 90s and 90s are classic cars. It's an interesting perspective as a guy who has built some pretty large collections and traded in classic cars nearly my whole life.

For actual classic cars i.e. old cars:

1941 Ford super deluxe convertible is a great driving fun car to take the family out with and they are cheap. Plus it has juice brakes.

1955-57 Bel air. I mean... Who does t love a Bel air. Great driving cars. Very enjoyable.

E type. This car was light years ahead of its time. Unfortunately now expensive.

Mgc is a great car! Gt is really great.

One of the best of all time however is 1965-1968 Ford mustang. Really 65 and 66. Coupe vert or fastback doesn't matter all are awesome. Cheap. Awesome. Reliable. Modern enough.

C3 Corvette is always good surprisingly.

Bmw e9 is awesome but rusty and expensive.

Alfa GTV. Awesome awesome awesome car. Absolutely awesome.

Porschr 912 is an awesome underated car as well. Long hood. SWB is my fav.

Bullfighter likes this.
  13. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well here in Michigan a car has to be 26 years or older to get the "Historical" license plate, so that's what I use as my metric as to what can qualify as a classic.

YMMV, of course!

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #89 Bullfighter, Jul 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    I’d include cars with old designs that soldiered on well past typical production cycles.

The 911/964 are old school but produced into the 1990s with a whiff of the late 1940s. The MGB somehow made it to 1980. The Ferrari 308/328 were archaic by 1989, but still admired. The Mercedes R107 SL was ancient technology by 1989. Etc. Maybe the Jaguar XJ-S, although I’ve never been tempted. BMW first gen M3…

Few computers in any of these. ABS added late in the run. But IMHO these are still usable, even if only by car enthusiasts who can look after them properly.

And yes, the E-Type is an automotive immortal. Compared to everything else in 1963… hard to imagine, unless you had budget for a Ferrari. The 911S didn’t come along till four years later.

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That makes a 1998 Mercedes SLK “historic”.

That… would be a stretch. But then again I’m probably historic at this point.

technom3 likes this.