Ferrari 355 Gearbox Adjustment Tool AV2731 or 95972731 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 355 Gearbox Adjustment Tool AV2731 or 95972731

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Qavion, Aug 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    As far as I can recall, it only jumps out of second gear (repeatedly). As soon as I use any accerator, it jumps out and I can't hold onto the stick to keep it in gear. The gearshift linkages have be finessed endlessly.

Somewhat miraculously, I was able to find a new gear, shift fork (#20), 1st/2nd rocker arm control fork (#32), spring, ball bearing and a few other assorted pieces* to be fitted after I find/make a tool for the job. I just want everything to go right this time.

*The slider I could only find second hand and I may have overlooked some parts related to 1st/2nd.

Thanks... By selectors, which parts are these? I'm wondering how critical the interference fit is. Hopefully, the tool can be modified afterwards if there is too much interference.

This I'm not sure of. I don't see anything turning "sideways".

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The 1st/2nd fork doesn't seem to have any matching fork control rocker arm. Is it only driven by #32 on the end of the rod?

The other forks seem to have slots for matching control arms.

I'm having trouble understanding which parts are hitting what.

Are the control rocker arms (1, 2, 3, 4) hitting the fork control rocker arms (39) or the "rod control small forks" (32, 33, 34, 35) or both?

Unfortunately, YouTube doesn't seem to be too much help as the videos don't show the control of the forks.

Sorry to take up so much of your time.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here I'm completely lost. Is your small tool replacing ours? Which angle are we talking about? Is the bevel on the edge of our tool critical?

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes it does replace yours. The bevel is not critical but if you take time to look at the transmission you will see why its there.
    This will all be so much easier if you just look at the transmission. You cannot possibly get the parts needed until its apart. I am quite sure your list contains parts not needed.

1st/2nd gear slider is listed as new in stock from Maranello Classic.

This transmission is built like no other. Until the transmission is out and you can see it for your self we can go back and forth all year and you will not understand it any better.

Take it out....then diagnose......then get parts.

Not doing it in that order gets you nowhere.

Qavion likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Understood, but I would like that tool made up as my indy tech has requested it. He seems to have everything but that.

Slider part 14... P/N 164126?

Strange, I'm not seeing available. Only "Enquire/POA"

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Qavion likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #31 Rifledriver, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    That is not a slider, that is a rod. Why on earth would you want one of those?

156931 is a slider and if it is popping out of gear you almost certainly will want one.

How many of these have you rebuilt? Do you have it apart yet?

Until it is out, apart, and in pieces we are all wasting our time.

I sure hope this is not the same guy who did it last time and did not get it right.

Get back to me when thats been done.

I don't mind helping and explaining but this has all been an intellectual exercise and no offense but you guys don't understand those pictures, or where the parts in them go or do. Until you have it in front of you that will not change.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #32 Qavion, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    Understood, Brian. I am not doing the job personally. I am not a mechanic. I am a retired avionics maintenance engineer with some electrical knowledge. Through necessity, I have had to switch to Ferrari electrics (steep learning curve here).

Recap: I only have one tech near me who sounds remotely competent to complete the job. He even told me how hopeless the local dealer techs were when it came to this kind of thing. He has been trained by Ferrari. He requested the tool (before the job is to be started). I've been looking for this tool for over 9 months. I don't live in the USA. I'd be surprised if even my local dealer tech has this tool. We just need as much knowledge as possible to design the tool (especially to know if there are any critical measurements). None of us currently have access to a gearbox. There aren't that many F355's in Australia, let alone ones with gearbox issues.

The gearbox had dozens of parts replaced after it blew up several years ago. The obviously broken parts were replaced. Some wear items may have been overlooked at the time, but we took the opportunity to change some normal wear items like lower gear synchros and the gearbox seemed to be ok after the overhaul. As far as I can recall, several (?) months later, it would occasionally jump out of 2nd gear and I put it down to me not putting the lever in the slot properly, but now it happens every time I select 2nd gear. My tech probably doesn't want to take any chances and I imagine he wants to go by the book this time.

I'm ordering as many parts as possible in the hope that one of them is causing the problem. One part took me 3 months to procure. I don't want my car in the shop for 3 or 4 months.

No, I am not familiar with all the terminologies of the gearbox. I assumed a "slider" was the rod on which the fork is mounted. From your message, I see it is called a "synchro hub" in the parts manual. Yes, I have a new one (although it may have been changed the last time). I've simply been ordering everything in the 2nd gear "train". I can always give away the unused parts later FOC to my fellow needy F-chatters.

8. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I made my own tools for adjusting the 355 gearbox. I rebuilt my first 355 box in 1996. It was a warranty job. When I went independent, I just built my own tools. My adjuster bar measures 14.95 mm. It just has to hold the shift fingers inline. The big piece with the recessed holes is needed to keep the shift rods in place. The adjustments that are performed after that are measuring, centering, aligning all the shift forks. Having the "I" bar on the back of the finger holder will help, I just didn't bother with it.

Qavion likes this.
  9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

do you mean this is 14.95mm? other measurements are not crtical?

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Fabulous. I guess that takes the place of this tool

[​IMG]

Haven't seen one of these for sale for a while.

That looks harder to make.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    When you say that other tool holds the shift rods in place, how does it apply force on the rods when the rods run in a different direction?

[​IMG]

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

easy, if you have the dimensions

Qavion likes this.
  13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm guessing the thumbscrews are spring-loaded. I wonder if that's necessary.

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

shouldn't be spring loaded, why? aren't they just holding the plate in place?

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think the spring loading may allow some lateral movement when fitting the tool over the shafts... When the shafts are located, I guess the screws can be fully screwed in. We'll have to ask the experts.

I guess the elongated holes in Wade's tool provide the same function.

16. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The thumb screws are held in by a snap ring. I needed to slot the hole because they were a little hard to hit the right spot. The alignment holes that hold the detents align everything. The bolts just hold the tool down.

Yes, the 14.95 is the dimension of the tool where it fits into the shift forks.

Qavion likes this.
  17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  18. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

step file for the av2731 tool , the notch width is set to 15mm. bolt holes are set to 8mm on the longer bar and 6.5mm on the smaller piece. The 6.5mm will be further processed by helicoil, of course.

rename the file from ".txt" to ".STEP"

Attached Files:

19. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I didn't have the original tool to copy. I have used one before but I just made what I needed to get the job done.

Qavion likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

You are trying to do your mechanics job. You do not have that ability. If it is a job he is incapable of doing which is I suspect the case, you need to find one that can. Providing him with the parts you hope it needs along with the tools you hope he needs puts him no closer to understanding how to fix it or what and why the parts are needed.

You are headed for another train wreck.

Jumping out of gear is a real easy fix. Find someone qualified and let them do it.

Find a good mechanic, give him the car, the keys, and a description of the problem then walk away and wait for his call.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    My mechanic is highly recommended, his prices are good and he always goes out of his way to help me despite being always busy (because of his good reputation). I am simply returning the favour.

As I have explained, he only has a small workshop and I don't want to occupy significant space in his workshop should a part not be available in the short term. When I have a major done, I supply all the parts that I think that will be required to help him out (timewise).

I'm not doubting your credentials or advice. I just don't have the resources (money) to send the car to you ;) This is not Mainland USA or Europe. My choices are limited. No one here routinely overhauls F355 gearboxes.

Maybe someone can tell me, if it was a simple adjustment problem, why has it been progressively getting worse in time? It seemed ok when it left the workshop.

22. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mate, you don’t have to explain your choices to anybody.

Good luck with your car, you have always been a respectful and helpful member of this community. I hope you’re soon back on the road.

Qavion likes this.
  23. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
  24. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

borrow it from Qavion, I've already sent the tool to him. LOL

spaghetti_jet likes this.