Best drive in CA | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best drive in CA

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by toparkt, Sep 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    You could, if feeling adventurous, take the 101 to 33 to the 58 to 101 back home. Might be worth breaking it into two days though.

2. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #27 DavidDriver, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    Agreed! Or 128 to Cloverdale too.

Funny thing... I saw this post and came in here to post the exact same thing. Little River Inn has (or used to have) a great window that looks out onto the golf-course, where you can often see the deer wandering around. Heritage House (where Same Time Next Year was filmed) is down Hwy 1 just So of Little River. I bought my first beer (at 15yrs old) from the market across the street from Little River Inn. <LOL!>

I moved from Santa Clarita June 21 - used to be part of the Super Car Sunday group on Topanga, when Dustin had the coffee shop... "Coffee Roaster?" Long time ago... (308/gt4 Dino #10314 here on FChat) Anyway..

Best time over Willits Rd (Hwy 20) in ML320 38min. 2hrs to Santa Rosa.

Hwy 1 past Summers Ln., over the hump to 13 corners, then to McGuire's meadow, the meadow to the passing-lane before 10mi house, then Parlin Fork, and over the top and down to the pond, the pond to Chamberlain Creek, Chamberlain Creek through the beautiful woods, to the bridge. Then up 7-mile hill (exactly 60 left-to-right turns to the top) before Irmulco Rd. Another 10 turns and your out-of-the-woods then up the hill and then down to Willits in about 5-6 more miles. I know it very well.

But don't speed thru Willits!!!!

The drive from Clearlake Oaks to Williams (Granzella's Deli), isn't to shabby either.

But Willits Rd (Hwy 20) is much better than it was when I was in high-school ('75). 13-corners in now 11-corners... and there are a LOT of places you can go 70+. That didn't used to be the case!

malcolmb - do you live up here or are you from here? I went to high-school here and moved back about 18-mo ago.

If you've seen "Overboard!" with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, this where I am.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hwy 1 from Santa Barbara to Carmel. Have to find a day with few tourists. One week day many years ago did it on my old GPZ and hooked up right away with a stranger on a Honda. Lots of top gear triple digits right up to the traffic lights at Carmel Valley. We waved and went our own ways. What a ride. Too many people, cars, and developing towns to do that today.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Although my experiences are mostly from lower half of the State, but there are so many and different types of great driving routes in CA, it would be impossible for me to pick the “best”.
    Much of the experience is also dependent on the type of car(s), which in my case are mainly focused on anything and everything older than 50 years or so.

DavidDriver likes this.
  6. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    The best two drives I've had was one (when it was over 110 in the Valley) with the group from Topanga, out to Bacara in Santa Barbara for lunch. The second was over Mulholland to Malibu, for lunch at Duke's. With a big thanks to Dustin, who bought lunch for everyone.

7. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
  8. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    If you want to break up a trip between So / Nor Cal the stretch of Highway 25 between 101 in hollister (north of Monterey) and 198 (goes between 5 through coalinga - 101 between kings city / Paso Robles). Magical stretch of road. Wouldn’t be surprised if that sign posted earlier is there.

TCBoiler likes this.