Hello from a new Mondial owner | FerrariChat

Hello from a new Mondial owner

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by greg246, Mar 31, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hello all

I recently bought a Mondial QV, it’s the 5th Ferrari I’ve owned but the first mid engine V8. It’s getting a service and some other work done before I drive it home from Melbourne to Sydney in a few weeks time. I’ll share some more pics when I get it home and look forward to drawing on the experience of the other owners here to help sort any issues

Cheers

Greg

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Congrats -- looks great. Look forward to hearing how the driving and ownership experience compares to your other Ferrari models.

greg246 likes this.
  3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Looks like a very nice example. Make sure those TRX tires are fresh before you do the high speed test run!

4. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I’ve bought a fresh set of TRX to put on ;)

Il Steeg, 350HPMondial and moysiuan like this.
  5. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Nice coupe’ welcome to the club.
    (These are rare cars, ,,)
    time to shop.
    let’s start a list.
    1) 16” 3.2 rims.

6. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Nah, I’ll like the original rims, I have however bought narrower TRXs for the front as per 3.2 specs for better turn in

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I went from TRX’s to 16” Pirellis on my old 3.2 Mondial and I honestly preferred the way the car drove on the TRX’s. Might be a different story on the track, but for road use I preferred the TRX’s.

greg246 likes this.
  8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Congrats and welcome to the Mondial section!

greg246 likes this.
  9. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    greg246 likes this.
  10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Nice RHD example ! I hope to see pictures on the road more then on a trailer in the future...:D

greg246 likes this.
  11. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    Nice car, good choice to keep the original TRX. I drive a mondial qv and bought 3 years ago a new set of TRX tires. They drive amazing. Much plesure with your car.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

greg246, peterp and moysiuan like this.
  12. NigelBlack

NigelBlack Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Congratulations. Very nice car. Welcome to Club Mondial :)

13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had the same impression with TRX, and my comparison was with older TRX tires switching to brand new 16" modern Pirellis. I can't remember any other time I've changed tires (regardless of brand) and liked the prior worn tires better.

I think Michelin may have been onto something with the TRX, which it hailed as a superior tire and wheel design that was developed over years of research. Of course, few people wanted to put up with the fact that they were incompatible with all existing wheels, so it was a commercial failure and never reached its full potential, but they might have been right that it was a better mousetrap.

350HPMondial likes this.
  14. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
  15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Curious what made them feel better? Grip, ride quality, noise, wet traction? Tire preferences vary alot, I want quiet tread noise and compliant ride for my use case.

16. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    For me: neutral driving characteristics. I know generally and broadly speaking but best suited for me. And the driving characteristics in the rain, I try to encounter as little as possible. I'm careful with my mondial so I can't say anything about that.

17. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
  18. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    350HPMondial likes this.
  19. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The TRX's just felt a lot more compliant with bumps and surface imperfections. I think they were quieter also. I thought the Mondial 3.2 was driving perfection already with the TRX's, so I was really excited about "upgrading" to modern 16" tires, but I just never liked the driving feel as much with the Pirellis. I felt every bump after switching, where the ride was always compliant with the TRX's. I looked back at my notes and I think (not 100% positive) the tires I used were Pirelli P-Zero Nero 225 (f) 245 (r) 16/50.

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting thank you, I had the same experience with P zero neros, very little compliance. I am running Goodyear Eagles, which are in effect the modern decendent of the original Goodyear spec for the later 1988 3.2 Mondials, along with the TRX fitments depending on the market. Not so many choices these days for the 16 inch in OEM sizes, maybe TRX will come back into fashion when alternatives are just as scarce.

peterp likes this.
  21. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Welcome! And congratulations! I put 360 Wheels and modern tires on mine, nice car look a little more modern, but they're still OEM and not aftermarket wheels which I hate, I think I put Pirelli tires on it, but I'll have to go and look, enjoy the experience great car!

greg246 likes this.
  22. Elva164

Elva164 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Michael Clifford
    Awesome! I'm another new Mondial driver though I don't have 5 others in my portfolio :D Your car looks the sister to ours except I'm missing a few valves, haha

Image Unavailable, Please Login

greg246 and djs308 like this.