Engine bay cleanup | FerrariChat

Engine bay cleanup

Discussion in '308/328' started by 1bigfish, Mar 20, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
  2. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    I did mine years ago… the thin black metal frame. It deflects water away from areas of the engine. I drilled out the rivets and had it powder coated. Researched where to get black rivets along with a good quality gun. The rivers have to be long enough to grab too. The underside of the bonnet that covers the plenum; I used a black undercoating, I believe it was a Wurth product. Good luck. Any questions please feel free to ask. Oh the aluminum valve covers; I get them bead blasted every major. They come out amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    Thank you

4. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    I spread a blanket to catch the dust then sanded with 180 then 220 grit sandpaper. Wiped it clean with alcohol. I slipped cardboard between the louvers and the mesh then taped each louver opening shut then taped newspaper over the area to make sure I did not have and spray paint pass through. I used tape, paper and the blanket to mask the red surfaces. I used Rusto-Oleum Universal Satin Black spray paint. I also painted both Black sides of the engine bay. Next will be an engine cleanup. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ragtop1 likes this.
  5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    For most of the aluminum parts in the engine bay (in fact all of the parts in general) I have found WD40 to be one of the best cleaners. Spraying it on and agitating with a plastic brush will draw contaminants out of the pores of the aluminum and clean it like nothing else. Once clean you can either use a terry towel to wipe away the dirt infested WD40 or aerosol brake cleaner. I personally like to get as much of the heavy stuff as possible removed with rags and then use brake cleaner for the final scrub. What you want to avoid is anything abrasive as it will forever change the look of the surface you are trying to clean. Stick to plastic brushes and the right chemicals.

6. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    One of the tips passed around air-cooled 911 owners is to spray the aluminum intake runners with WD-40 and let it sit overnight. The next day you just hose it off and it looks new again with no scrubbing or agitation needed. I never tried it myself but apparently it works a miracle.

7. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    Th

8. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    thanks

9. Johnv10

Johnv10 Rookie

Jun 16, 2018
    Boerne Texas
    Full Name:
    John Hackett
    What is a source for a good variety of black rivets. And is there a such thing as metric rivets? I want to remove my lovers to paint the mesh screen but I need to locate a rivet gun that will get in between the louvers to fasten the rivets.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    I painted the underside of the trunk lid and mesh by slipping cardboard between the louvers and the mesh. I used masking tape and blocked off each louver opening the used paper and masking tape and covered the entire exterior louvers to prohibit overspray. I mask off all the body areas and spread a blanket over the engine bay and fenders. I used satin black. No overspray and the surfaces turned out very nice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan likes this.