458 - Removing the rotors on the 458 | FerrariChat

458 Removing the rotors on the 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Nov 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I bought a set of Giro Disc steel rotors for my 458 and plan to install them this weekend. Has anyone here ever replaced their rotors on the 458 abs have any tips or advice to offer in doing the job?

Also, does anyone have a copy of the pages from the 458 workshop manual that explain the rotor removal/install process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rolikmeir

rolikmeir Karting

Aug 5, 2018
    I am thinking of going steel rotors as well so it stops making noise every time I break. I live on the Vegas strip so don't need the high performance brakes.

3. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Rotor removal is straight forward. Take wheel off, remove caliper, remove the wheel locater and the bolt retaining the rotor to the hub, slide it off carefully. Install is reverse of removal

Caeruleus11 and RayJohns like this.
  4. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks.

Can anyone confirm the torque specifications for the wheel locator and the bolts retaining the rotor to the hub?

5. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    15.5 nm for both according to the Ferrari WSM

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes. 15 nm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Caeruleus11 and SeattleStew like this.
  8. RickH3

RickH3 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    i have done the change to Giro, and it went well. They are much heavier. I needed to zip-tie the brake wear wires back as the new pads had no provision for them. I have tracked with them as well and they are good brakes.

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've removed my rotors to weigh them, etc. As far as the retaining screw, I'd recommend just going by feel and making sure it's tight. You don't need to go crazy with 15 vs. 17 Nm. A little blue loctite never hurts though.

Ray

SeattleStew and FFan5 like this.
  10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    The rotor retaining screw just holds the rotor in place while putting the calipers back on. It provides no real holding power while the car is in motion. Your lug nuts do that

SeattleStew likes this.
  11. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    On all my other cars I throw these things out. But on the Ferrari, or any CCB car you really don’t want a rotor falling off lol.

Wouldn’t worry too much about the torque spec. Treat it like a spark plug, just snug it up and you are good.

mdrums likes this.
  12. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Ah, there is just one retaining screw?

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Two

RayJohns likes this.
  14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    There is a bolt and then a "bolt / indexing pin" sort of deal (which is effectively the 2nd bolt).

As mentioned above, these aren't really what is holding the brake rotors on to your Ferrari; so the torque isn't really super important. The wheel lugs are what is holding everything together. The bolt & pin thing mainly just keep the rotor in place while you install the wheel and/or if you pull the caliper off for service. Without those two retaining bolts, the rotor would flop around inside the caliper when you remove the wheel and/or would probably slip off and fall to the ground should you remove the wheel and caliper.

But outside of keeping the rotor from falling off during work, they aren't really responsible for much else [especially once the wheel lugs are torqued down].

Ray

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    If you skip to around 6:00 minutes in this YouTube video, you can see the bolt and pin I'm talking about. It's the same on the 458 Italia:

Here's a screen shot also:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks guys. So I must remove the entire caliper in order to remove the disc? If I just remove the brake pads will that be enough room to remove the disc without having to remove the caliper?

IF I do have to remove the caliper, what are the torque specs on the caliper bolts? I’m paranoid about stripping bolts, and so would like to avoid removing parts that don’t HAVE to be removed. Thank you!

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    As far as I remember, yes the caliper has to come off to remove the rotor. I think I tried just taking the pads out once and tried to slip the rotor out but I don't think it worked. However, I work on a lot of different vehicles so I might be remembering wrong. You don't need to remove the brake line however... just set the caliper to one side.

Ray

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Like Ray said, you don't need to remove the lines.

Step 1. Remove the pads
    Step 2. Remove the hose clip with a T27
    Step 3. Remove the two M10 caliper bolts
    Step4. Hang the caliper off to the side in a zip tie or the like so that the brake hose does not carry the weight of the caliper.
    Remove the desc retaining screws. One 12 and one 13mm top is required.

That's it.

Install the new disc and do it all in reverse. Torque the caliper bolts to 100 nm.

19. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    Are the rear rotas held on by the parking brake ?

20. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Turn auto-park off before starting the job and make sure the parking brake is not engaged before shutting down and getting the car up in the air. The brake shoes will not prevent easy removal of the rear rotors.

Ballie64 likes this.