Uship nightmare | FerrariChat

Uship nightmare

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, May 11, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I had one of my Dinos shipped from Oceanside, Ca to Spicewood, Texas. It left last friday and the truck and trailer are nowhere to be found! I tried reporting it the police but they say it does not fall into the definition of stolen as I signed the bill of lading allowing them to take the car. They said it is a civil matter. The Broker on Uship takes no responsibility (Swift Auto Transportation) and have been of no help. Uship also does nothing but sends a few emails asking about the status of my shipment. I filed an insurance claim against Expert Logistics who Swift Auto Transportation brokered it too. Expert Logistics has no idea where the driver is as he's turned his phone off and no idea where the Dodge Ram with Ca plates is or the the car enclosed trailer. There was also a Mercedes SUV on the load. Probably went to Mexico. 71 Dino Gt red/tan.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    OMG this is horrible to hear. I am so sorry. I don’t know much about Uship- are they reputable? I know that for my past car shipments there is sort of a reverse bidding process and the people who actually do the driving could be anyone, but I think they have some sort of rating process as I recall- like stars on Yelp type thing.

There was a good article on this situ in Sports Car Market a few issues ago as I recall talking about the legal implications of vehicle theft during transport. I searched online and found it. Here it is, not sure if it will be helpful.. https://www.sportscarmarket.com/columns/legal-files/unredeemable-jackpot

sorry to hear this and good luck…

-Greg

3. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    #3 audi_328, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
    Holy hell, that is a nightmare.

I read through the linked article above; the suggestion to use one's own tracking device in a given car sounds like a really good idea, more so when shipping a vehicle. Doesn't help in the present situation, obviously...

So sorry to read this and hope it comes back to you, somehow.

NYC Fred likes this.
  4. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

So sorry to hear about this!!! You are not out in the cold on this yet. We cannot rely on the police for this one, but if it surfaces in Mexico the State Department need to be contacted. Swift Auto transport brokered this other carrier so they are absolutely on the hook as well. Those trucks *usually* have tracking as part of their insurance carrier requirements.

6. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Swift Auto claim they were only the broker and have no responsibility and also not legally required to carry any insurance. Uship also does not make it clear that these are brokers and are actually contracting with outside carriers.

7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Who's name is on the BOL? Swift?

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Make no mistake they're all getting dragged into this if suit is filed. Keep rattling cages up the food chain for this car hauler whose driver and truck is now MIA. The car carrier will be the party to file criminal charges against their driver. Hopefully they have escalated this already? It's tough to move quick enough on this sort of thing for the Feds at the border to be on the lookout for a trailer and particular car. That said, they do check cargo and trailers but who knows how thoroughly

Meanwhile you just want the car back. Ugh, breaks my heart

NYC Fred likes this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Very sorry to read this and hopefully you’ll get the car back without damage or too much more drama.

OTOH, I’m not surprised since most of the small, “independent contractor” transport operators I see or hear about around here on the west coast (there’s a huge Manheim operation near my shop) seem to be of eastern European (or farther east) origin and many might be “syndicated”.
    This is why I don’t use or recommend using transportation “brokers”, especially online ones (which could be just someone sitting in their parents basement with a computer and have managed to create an alluring website).

Couple of years ago, my SIL went through a hell when moving her entire household, including her daily driver (a late model Audi sedan) from VT to CA and against my urging (through my wife) booked the movers through some online outfit. Nothing went easily, nowhere near on schedule and costs ended up being more than twice the original quote (the “operator”, eastern European type, essentially held her stuff ransom for more $$s).

10. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
  11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jon, you must have a 3.5 Ton lawyer, no? Call him up and get the wheels spinning.

You are truly wasting time talking to the various people. You will never solve this by yourself.

Get a fixer. You want to talk? Send me a pm and I will call you tomorrow. Been there, done that.

Best of luck!

Regards, Alberto

PS.

Swift Auto Transportation

SAFE & RELIABLE NATIONWIDE AUTO TRANSPORT
    Car shipping across all 50 states
    Get A Quote Call Us Today! 954-729-8741

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LAWYER! You will get no where with them.

13. ferraridino.com

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    John R Kennedy
    #13 ferraridino.com, May 14, 2023
    Last edited: May 14, 2023
    Sorry to hear this happening Jon. Do you have the plate number for the truck and trailer? If you left a firearm in the glove box I don’t think the police would consider it a civil matter.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    This is an awful situation. I used a transport broker once. Never again. Ever.:mad::(

Hoping for a good outcome for you, Jon.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    In most cases I agree, but not everyone has access to more direct and/or expedient solutions.

16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I gave the police a picture of the truck, the plate # and drivers cellphone. Also there was a mercedes SUV in the trailer that has built in tracking that could be activated. They weren't interested. "It's a civil matter"

17. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    How are 2 stolen vehicles a civil matter?

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what police dept?

19. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Oceanside, Ca where the car was picked up

20. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    What cellphone number do you have for the driver? Most likely it is a pre-paid burner phone and won't help but it is worth a look.

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Oh yes you will...Has to be a HEAVY though...

22. ferraridino.com

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    John R Kennedy
    I would try to get in touch with the Mercedes guy and activate his tracking while the vehicles are together. Recovery would be by a bounty hunter or repo guy.

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Just call Saul :rolleyes:

kestrou likes this.
  24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Possibly the Merc belonged to Jon also? I seriously doubt the other fellow, would just ignore the situation.

Here, (Central America) we always send an armed (very bonafide, as we know his family ;) ) fellow with any freight, + a chase vehicle.
    Not to mention GPS, caravanning, etc, etc.

These systems have curtailed theft to a huge % compared to 10 years ago.
    I ship agricultural products, armed to the teeth. Works, sort of WWWest, but works.

Good luck Jon, and don't count on any Mex. authority to block a Dino. A Merc, is more attractive to them, and blends extremely well.

VAF84 likes this.
  25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Skip the cops and go to the DA's office.

Explain the situation.

I had a ton of success bypassing the cops on a couple of occasions where they said, "It's a civil matter."

D

NYC Fred likes this.