Uship nightmare | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Uship nightmare

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, May 11, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Jon, this sucks. Hoping for the best.

In the future, I plan on putting a tracker in the car when shipping. Apple AirTags are cheap but will notify the driver it is there if they have an iPhone. An alternative that won't be easily noticed (without RF scanning gear) is something like Trackpac, which works throughout North America (US/CA/MX) on LoRaWAN. Ones for North America won't be tracked if headed to Europe since a different frequency is required. The range can be many miles from a receiver, is about the size of a cigarette pack, and the battery can last for years (no hardwiring), so it can be hidden deep in the car.

375+, Texas Forever and Lusso123 like this.
  2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Call your local FBI office. Dollar value is big, he's crossed state lines with the vehicle, makes it an interstate commerce crime.

$500K car, give or take is enough to get their attention, maybe.

D

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well, the "IF" part is something the FBI guys can figure out, but since the load was consigned to an out of state delivery address, there's a presumption of interstate travel.

And the trucking firm regularly engages in interstate commerce, which doesn't make it much of a leap of faith.
    And toss in fraud to the charges, where the threshold for FBI involvement is VERY low. If Jon exchanged emails or phone calls with someone who was an out of state agent for the shipper, then the interstate test is met.

D

VAF84, Lusso123, Il Tifoso and 2 others like this.
  5. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    After 11 days my car was delivered. After I offered the driver $$ for it's return it showed up the next day with the driver asking for his $$ Of cpurse the police did nothing and let him go. This is the world we live in!!!

6. kestrou

kestrou Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    Hang on... so he held the car hostage, you didn't pay, but you got the car back?

7. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    He was busy ripping off the Mercdes owner, the tough job.
    He knew you could be extort easy

technom3 likes this.
  8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Great to hear you got your car back which really is the most important thing. Hopefully your experience will serve as a cautionary tale for others shipping their cars. Pay the extra money and use known carriers and even then throw in some tracking devices with your car to be sure of where it is.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    An extraordinary cautionary tale. Apparently the driver turned his phone on. Was the car still in CA or did you receive it in TX?

I wonder if good ol' U Ship will use him again???

Glad to hear you got your car back...

Ferraripilot likes this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sounds/reads like a same MO as in my cautionary comment offer earlier (see below).

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Wow, what a crazy thing to unfold, but at least the car is back. I can only imagine the conversation that was had.

vraa likes this.
  12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jon, seriously, he held your car for ransom? This is totally insane...
    I am very happy you got your car back. I cannot believe the police just let it slide.

Oh well, sad state of affairs, you have the people you voted in, "Serving and Protecting you" RIGHTO!

Regards, Alberto

Lusso123 likes this.
  13. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Glad you got your car back but in the future please use a reputable car carrier like Intercity or Reliable.

JTSE30 likes this.
  14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Luckily I dodged a bullet. I would never ever use Uship again. When I shipped to CA the motor was not in it, so it was not running. The big carriers didn't want to mess with a non running car. Thats when I arranged through Uship. I wish I could get the word out how they really operate. Google review is not going to do much.

TheMayor, Texas Forever and buddyg like this.
  15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Wow! He extorted money from you? I would have had him show up and then 6 of my biggest scariest friends show up too. This is kinda like the squatters thread where people higher motorcycle gang to "encourage" squatters to leave your property.

Texas Forever and Ferraripilot like this.
  16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Glad that your car is back.
    Your story is missing some details. For example, how you came into contact with this thief. And the police do nothing? I can assure you that here in France or in Germany things don't work like that and that blackmail and extortion are severely punished by law. Too much freedom kills freedom.

17. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Optimistic at best.

18. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    OMG, what a nightmare!! Glad that ended OK?

19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Thank the lord you got it back. I has having heart heart palpitations just reading about it.

20. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    This thing has been on my mind. Very glad the car is back. Your kindness and diplomacy won the day but I would certainly see a very different scenario as soon as the guy rolls into my driveway....

This potential tragedy is worthy of Vinwiki (Ed Bolian) or the like making a public awareness video

Il Tifoso and VAF84 like this.
  21. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    It was delivered in Texas. Luckily Chris Dugan at the shop where it was being picked up from got the drivers cell# I called multiple times for 10 days with no answer. I then texted him I would pay $10,000 to get my car back no questions asked he showed up with the car 18 hours later. I tried not letting the truck and trailer leave. He called his boss who was irate and asked where the money was. I told him to go F himself. I called the sheriffs dept and they sent 2 squad cars. They did nothing and made me release the truck and trailer. What an ordeal. I would like to get the word out on Uship.

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Hiring outside enforcers sounds cool & easy on keyboards, but could easily lead to bigger problems than one “they” were contracted to solve, especially if you really don’t know what/who you’re getting involved with and they can see you’re an easy mark.
    Same with these transports operators. Once they know your location and how malleable you can be…

lagunacc likes this.
  23. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Do you see his attitude was extortion 100%
    what about Mercedes owner? same is my guess
    America is like this everywhere now, from politics to commerce is chaos and mafioso feel free as police do nothing.
    So sorry for your experience, very sad

24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jon, if that is the support you got from the authorities, the a.hole that extorted you,
    knows you, where you are, what you do, etc.
    UShip will not care less, unless you take legal action.
    Careful! Go very high up!

Regards, Alberto

Jack-the-lad and Texas Forever like this.
  25. ferraridino.com

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    John R Kennedy
    I’m really glad to see you got your car back.
    Did your contract have a guaranteed delivery date? The police only see that you received your car and you offered 10k to the shipper for expedited delivery.