296 GTS | FerrariChat

296 GTS

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Smythes, May 29, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smythes

Smythes Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    I went to the Ferrari factory six months ago to spec my GTS.
    Last week my local dealer very kindly loaned me his demonstrator over the weekend.
    This is my opinion.
    It’s very quick and handles beautifully a great track car.The car looks stunning.
    However the interior finish is poor.The quality of the interior leather is poor.The steering wheel in my opinion is to thin.The graphics on the dashboard are poor.Worst of all the haptic control buttons are a nightmare to use !!! The whole operational system is badly conceived and designed.
    When you select reverse gear the passenger mirror still does not dip ?
    There is no cover over the passenger vanity mirror to stop the sun reflecting in your eyes ?
    Despite the hype that the car sounds like a baby V12 ,it does not.
    Enzo Ferrari once said.”When you buy a Ferrari you only pay for the engine everything else we give you for free”. Well my Ferrari is costing £320,000 that’s a very expensive engine !!!
    I will not be taking it.

ryalex likes this.
  2. Aranthian

Aranthian Rookie

Aug 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    James Lane
    Wow. Think the 296 is going to be a huge flop

3. Smythes

Smythes Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Not at all.
    The 296 and the GTS will be a huge success.
    I am just articulating my opinion that the finish of the car is not good enough for 325k

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    $430-450k USD more likely after options! :confused:

With a V12 now, I totally agree. It's *fine* as an engine sound but not "whoaa!" like the real V12s. Better than the muffled, wheezy F8 sound.

I like the smaller steering wheel, the 458 wheel in particular was getting comically oversized, like BMW M cars. Have you seen the new GMA wheel? Looks thin and tiny in comparison.

5. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Sorry to hear it. Hope you enjoyed the trip to spec it regardless.

I saw a 296 at a dealer event back in July 2021, it was a bit cramped for me…the demo car had a massive fold/damage on the stainless engine cover which made me wonder about quality back then.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was given this one for a few days to try:-

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Fit and finish doesn't matter, people are falling over themselves to get one and Ferrari knows it. Porsche is much the same these days.

ryalex likes this.
  8. JKao

JKao Rookie

Nov 4, 2015
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    JK
    Well fit and finish can't be any worse than a Tesla. Tesla is the worst. You're lucky if the door panels have same colors installed. I used to be pickier when I had a Lexus. When the 997.2 Targa 4S came in, I gave up. The entire car rattled and squeaked.

I just picked up the SF90 Spider in May. The paint was accidentally over sprayed onto the roof edge. Some paint got over sprayed into the rear metal net area right above the carbon fiber rear diffuser piece also. And, it's the $32k Rosso Magma paint. o_O That's why I told my car wash/wrap guys, don't show me any scratches or defects. Not knowing a bliss!:rolleyes:

ryalex likes this.