I’m in a funk! | FerrariChat

I’m in a funk!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by italiafan, May 30, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I retired just over 3 years ago and have loved lifting weights on a very regular basis since then. (When working my lifting was more erratic because of work time and fatigue.) I vividly remember when still working drinking coffee in the morning and saying to myself, “Just another 5 more minutes, then get in the shower.” Then after 5 minutes, “Just another 5…”
    The last few months lifting weights have been more of a struggle. I found myself saying this morning drinking coffee, “Just 5 more minutes, then hit the gym…”
    Damn!
    :(

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

You just have to find a way to get into autopilot and do it. It has to be habit. I don't truly enjoy any of my workouts (until I'm finished) because I do things I don't particularly enjoy; but they are things I know maximize the physical benefits. If anything messes up the autopilot/routine things get sideways and it's easier to talk oneself out. In my case the rec indoor pool being closed for Memorial Day has already gotten my week off to a wonky start. You just have to stick with the habit and get it done; especially in retirement why I'd assume it's easy for the days to slip away.

To your point though, it seems like every year that goes by it takes a little more will power to make it to a gym.

Texas Forever, Skidkid and italiafan like this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thing is, a year ago I was psyched to be about to hit the gym.
    I think I’m mentally fatigued.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My coach first went over
    1. sufficient sleep
    2. diet - carbs/sugar limiting and more protein
    3. then focus on gym.
    My sleep was [is] terrible, usually 4.5-6 hours a night, with long streaks under 5.5 hours. I started using a Whoop! about a year ago to track sleep and recovery, and it has helped me be more focused on getting enough rest. My actual sleep this past week:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GatorFL, italiafan and Skidkid like this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It can happen. I would suggest totally changing up your lifting routine. If you don't do that periodically, it can get very repetitive. The changes could be different time, different exercises, a lifting partner, almost anything.

6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Oh the other thought was a blood panel. I was thinking my malaise could have been low testosterone, but that turned out to be fine. In hindsight, it was a combination of extraordinary stress of multiple trials, office staff turnover, lack of sleep.

Ak Jim, Skidkid and italiafan like this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’ve been thinking about getting my T checked. I’m soon to be 58 and energy is low and I feel, probably mistakenly, that I should have put on more muscle mass given my 3 years of focused lifting and protein intake. Probably deluding myself there though. :)

ryalex likes this.
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My sleep sucks. Usually 5 hrs or less. Lots of tossing and turning and woken up by nightmares. Some nightmares keep me up for a solid 1-2 hours.

ryalex likes this.
  9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Sleep Number bed has helped me a lot with that - I keep it rather firm. My wife and I joked about how we are "old" people buying something that looks like a Craftmatic Adjustable Bed, but it has been a lifesaver. Especially after surgeries needing to sleep upright.

italiafan likes this.
  10. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

That's a pretty big deal. Getting enough sleep is one of the most important things you can do.

Are you taking any meds? Only reason I'm asking is that during the short period of time where I was having to take Crestor I had a lot of nightmares and restless sleep. Eventually stopped taking it.

Skidkid and italiafan like this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    On no meds. I’m wondering if I have sleep apnea.

12. Perhaps a week off will help?

But instead of lying in bed (saying 5 more minutes until morning coffee), maybe go for a walk.

Sometimes the mind, more than the body, just needs something different.

Heck, as much as I love Margherita Pizza and dark chocolate gelato, I could see myself tiring of it after 10 years straight. Well, ok, maybe ...

italiafan likes this.
  13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s probably your insufficient quality sleep that is holding you back. I would definitely get a Whoop so that you can laser in to your sleep along with your recovery, energy expenditure, etc. In an odd twist, I have found that frequent long duration steady state helps with my weightlifting performance.

Last year, I discovered that poor sleep is linked to dementia. Before that revelation, I had a “I’ll sleep when I dead” mentality. Now I focus hard on getting 8 hours of “in bed” time nightly. Here’s my 6 month trend on the Whoop.

Here’s my simple sleep formula:
    • Absolutely ZERO caffeine after 2pm.
    • No meals or snacks within 3 hours of bed time (preferably 4 hours).
    • No exercise within 3 hours of bedtime (unless it’s wife cardio).
    • There’s a strong connection between energy spent during the day and sleep depth/duration, so I make sure to put the work in daily.
    • I try to catch a couple minutes of the sunrise and the sunset (circadian rhythm).
    • No bright light after dark, and especially no light from devices. I dim the bathroom light when I am brushing teeth.
    • I don’t allow myself to be restless in bed. I use a version of this technique for transitioning into slumber.

italiafan likes this.
  14. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Once you get your sleep and diet squared away, try purchasing a weight training program to help freshen things up. I’ve done several programs from AthleanX to include Max Size and Old School Iron. I found they challenged me with new routines and the structure motivated me to see it through to the end.
    www.athleanx.com

italiafan likes this.
  15. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Both your problem and solution sound to be psychological.
    Your link with working out and actual work used to be strong and now it’s gone.
    That’s the typical response people have when retiring from work. New habbits need to form whilst the old ones are tied to discontinued rituals.
    Perhaps try working out at a different time so you can start a new daily routine.
    Bonus tip, people tend to be stronger, in general (but research proven), when they work out in the evening compared to the morning.

If not, then you really need to switch up your routine, badly. Try and do perhaps the opposite of what you are doing right now.
    Short rest periods, take long ones now. Lot’s of volume, cut it in half for now.

A nice training app can also help with getting that new ritual set in.
    I’m absolutely in love with this new app:
    https://info.rpstrength.com/hypertrophyapp-waitlist/ (I’m on the beta testing list).

Getting your blood work checked is also and always worthwhile. Your bound to have lower Testosterone levels due to your age.
    It’s up to you and your doc if you want to get on testosterone replacement therapy….

As you can read, there are boundless options you ca go with. But make sure you pick one you enjoy.
    You’re in a fase of your life when nothing should be a burden or a ‘ must’ . You should enjoy your activities as that’s what makes you keep going.
    Try to find what you love to do and that never becomes a chore.

Keep us posted!

Thecadster and italiafan like this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks everyone!
    You guys all rock!
    I am up at my mountain house for the summer now, and the gym has different equipment…So I’m finding more motivation at the moment, and sleeping a little better..maybe fresh mountain air?
    (My other home is ~2 miles from old work and I think I feel more “free” and a “new person” when in the mountains. I agree there must be a psychological drag going on in other location.)

Thecadster, Skidkid and Maximus1973 like this.
  17. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Seems like that switch is long due….! I hope you find your spark back in the mountains.
    So keep switching things up and do what makes you happy; as cliche as that may sound!

italiafan likes this.
  18. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    100%.

We have a condo in Brian Head, UT (3 hours from home, 10k feet) that we get to every other weekend, mainly in the summer, and it is the perfect reset.

I usually sleep worse up there, but everything else is great lol. Change in scenery does a lot of good, that's for sure.

italiafan likes this.
  19. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    +3 for Whoop.

When I got out of the service after 13 years I fell into a pretty deep depression and strayed from a routine that was extremely active and satisfying. I was looking for some accountability in myself again and Whoop opened my eyes up to a lot of bad habits I had started, and got me to change. The insight is incredible. Once I learned what habits were actually good/bad I was able to make adjustments and my sleep has never in my life been better.

BTW, the 8 hours a night "rule" is not necessarily a myth...but research has shown it's not applicable to everyone. I work a laborious job, mostly in unacclimated environments that require high energy levels. When I get 6 1/2 hours a night I am at peak performance on a 10-hour shift.

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i’m going to start right after the first of the year. :)

21. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My sleep sucks. If I could fix one thing in my life- it would be sleep. Ive literally stared at the ceiling many times till 5 or 6 am.

it sucks.

italiafan likes this.
  22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Maybe lifting weights by yourself sucks? There are lots of great interactive trainings like Zwift for cyclists.

italiafan likes this.
  23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I know that feeling.
    I awoke two nights ago after having a vivid dream about being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I felt so badly for my kids. I woke up at ~3am…that was it for the night. :(

SoCal to az likes this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This works for me.

SoCal to az likes this.