Info. On 512M Wanted | FerrariChat

Info. On 512M Wanted

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TigerAce, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
  2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

I was interested in it when M.Sheehan brokered it.....Make sure you inspect in yourself in person. I was told it already had a major service done just recently by an independent. However, there are some cosmetic issues in the interior (dashboard...and seats). Good luck.

Tom,

3. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    TomF-1,
    Yes, I am aware of dashboard needs repair, and also there was a re-paint done on a roof due to some vandalism.

This is related to my other post "How To Buy F From 2K miles Away".
    I thought someone can offer me a creating purchaing plan!

Where did you ended up buying your TR?

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

I bought my 512 from a Lamborghini dealership in Ohio. They sold it originally a few years ago and took it back on a trade in for a new 355 spider.

I have a good idea what this car would trade at. Email me if you are interested to know.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have seen this car in person & it is quite beautiful - Congrats & good luck!

I can't get the link to work that you posted though.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Good Luck Yoshi! I hope it turns out well.

7. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Yoshi-When I was researching the car I did find out that Ferrari showed it at CAvallino when the 512M was introduced in the US. It was the press car that people tested and then wrote about it. Potential hard use? I heard second-hand that the car had been hit...but I have no idea if this is true but check it out with a body shop. Mechanically it looks like everything has been done but it was a result of being driven a bit hard and causing some motor failure (burned valve). There were enough things that I needed to research I did not feel good about buying this one sight unseen from 2k miles. It also makes you wonder why Sheehan could not sell the "lowest priced 512M" in the country? Anyway, thats all the potential bad stuff that I could think of that needs to be checked out. Once again I can't verify any of this but it was enough to make me shy away as i didn't want to do the due diligence. Hope it checks out great for you. Greg

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my 2 cts fwiw.
    sounds like this car has had a bit of a hard life so far. however, it also sounds like its had things taken care of lately, and usually anything that runs through sheehan is in pretty good shape. but the fact that there are and have been issues, and that a number of people are aware of them, i suggest that you only purchase this car if you every intention of keeping it for life - because all of the thngs that made it hard to sell for sheehan and others, will make it twice as hard for you to unload - even if the car is just fantastic.

so think hard before you sign that check.

on the other hand, if you do want to get married, then i would jump on it because the price/value sounds good, and you will be smiling on down the highway........

9. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Thats good advice...I agree it sounds like a good value if everything checks out but its interesting how stories/rumors can follow a car. I have no idea what is true. I keep wondering why with Sheehan's contacts and experience why it did not sell. He had it a long time.

10. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thank you! Slag_328GTS, seems like you are also in the market. What's your next Ferrari be, do you know?

TomF-1, you'll have PM from today!

Greg512TR & Ross's advise is very true, and my main concern. I don't know I will keep this car for life, too. I really don't know for the future (well most of us don't!)
    I talked to several people who knows about this car, who handled this car, or who made an offer.
    Every dealers/brokers who handles Ferrari I talked to said actual market value of 512M fall in between $110K to $140K. $140K means MINT condition. Whatever the asking price is, the actual sold price is in this range, they said. So the asking price at $129,750 isn't really low in the actual market. But the seller won't get this amount as the dealer fee will be subtracted, and the seller naturally wants AMAP. We all know how it goes, right?

I wasn't aware of any rumor/stories will follow the car, but after your advise, it makes sense. I appreciate everyone's comment.

yoshi

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yoshi - My dreams may be bigger than my budget! I would absolutely die for a 512M, 512TR, or *gasp* a stradale. But realistically, that ain't going to happen! A very practicle solution would be a 355. First I would have to sell the 328 and since I haven't had it long, I'm not sure I'm prepared to take it in the shorts just yet. :)

12. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Yoshi-- Just replied to you. Please check it first before committing financial.
    Good luck to your endeavor. BTW, I am enthralled w/ my 512.