360 - Exhaust soot dripping on bumper cover. | FerrariChat

360 Exhaust soot dripping on bumper cover.

Discussion in '360/430' started by kaj750, May 20, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kaj750

kaj750 Karting

May 9, 2022
    Fresno, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Every time I drive my car, there is soot on the rear bumper cover - dripped from the exhaust tips. My car is yellow so it's extra noticeable. I feel like an idiot cleaning it off when I park it somewhere (I'm not OCD but... still...)
    I wouldn't suppose anyone has thought of way to battle condensation, have you? :p

2. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Same. I don’t think there’s a solution aside from extra long exhaust tips and a drip edge :D

3. kaj750

kaj750 Karting

May 9, 2022
    Fresno, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How odd, but not really surprising I guess LOL. I've thought to use a black vinyl patch on the part of the bumper, but it looked horrible. I considered longer tips. I think that would be okay, though I haven't tested.
    I guess I'll add it to the list of quirks on these cars. Except I'm not a fan of this one LOL.

4. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Nothing you can do will actually look go you know? At least that's my opinion. It's just part of how the car looks when driven. All good!

5. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    If you stopped driving it, you wouldn't have that problem...

I think it's just the result of condensation collecting in the exhaust system when it cools. The moisture picks up the carbon and they get blown out together. Some ends up on the bumper. Same thing on mine.

6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Happens when the car sits. Ceramic coat the area and keep a microfiber cloth and a small bottle of water in the car. If you haven't driven it for a week or so, after you stop the 1st time, wipe it down and then you should be fine till the next time you let the car sit.

I do agree the tips are too short, even the ones on my Kline exhaust are too short to prevent this issue.

7. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    There’s no way to avoid the drips from condensation. The solution is to fiddle with the mounts until the tips extend past the bumper cover.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Start you car and let it warm up. Once the engine is warm and the condensation on initial start up is evaporated I simply wipe the bumper cover clean. I usually don't have much of an issue once I'm out of the garage. But I do live in Florida so the engine seldom cools down again after parked at a restaurant, cars and coffee, or any other destination where it sits for over an hour of so.

LorenzoR likes this.
  10. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Some Xpel clear bra could work to prevent it from staining the paint - will make it much easier to wipe off whenever you choose, ideally post drive or randomly when it bugs you