NEW 400I NEW CONCERNS | FerrariChat

NEW 400I NEW CONCERNS

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bubba5320, May 22, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bubba5320

Bubba5320 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2024
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #1 Bubba5320, May 22, 2024
    Last edited: May 22, 2024
    Well new battery in, solid terminals, installed a few new vacuum lines. (Stupid ca extra stuff) and re-installed right conveyor. Car starts right up as it has always done.

Concern 1. But when revving car it seems to misfire, bog down. but when it was warm, like a full 10/15 minutes of idling and playing with accelerator looking for a problem, it started running strong. But idle was bouncing back and forth 750-1000rpm. And if I increase revs at idle and back off car wants to die unless I keep it going. Car has only few hundred miles in last few years so maybe bad gas, moisture, clogged injectors. Thinking of a tank of new gas and fuel additive to check and clean as when started car today it did the same bogging down at first. Suggestions?

Concern 2. Speaking of right side. There is a metal flange below the head, head gasket? I have cleaned off fluid from it a couple of times. Accumulates on the rim but seems to be damp all the way up to engine as well. It feels like a light lubricant. It’s not like my oil or antifreeze or fuel. A mixture? Any ideas? Left side Completely dry. Worried it’s not good.

Thanks as always. New car fears setting in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hey man, I just happened to notice this. Should post to the 400i section.

3. Bubba5320

Bubba5320 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2024
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks. Will do.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #2 looks like the heat shield that is bolted on the exhaust manifold

#1 seems more tricky... you should clean and lube the ignition distributor (given its location its wick is never refilled with oil), then let the car run for a while and once all the crude has been "processed" you can start investigating the k-jet.

On the 400 forum I've posted a memo from a Porsche 928 (!) fanboy that explains how to tackle the k-jet(s) : https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/changing-fuel-injectors-on-400i.648349/#post-148114305 and https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/328-old-gas-in-lines.683458/#post-149337572

5. Bubba5320

Bubba5320 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2024
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Raemin. Distributor looks scary. Especially all tucked in there. When you say clean and lube how big a process?
    A couple other things I have noticed:
    1. yes in getting down in there with a flashlight, I did realize that is the heat shield. Still wondering what fluid is and where it might be coming from?
    2. On the distributor, I have noticed that a couple of the spark plug leads don’t appear to be seated all the way down. Not sure if they are making good contact internally though. But seems like that would not be a problem that would go away after 10 or 15 minutes of warming up?
    3. One fuel injector definitely seems A bit loose. Certainly compared to the others.
    Thanks for the KJet link I will go through it. Always appreciate all the help.

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Removing the dizzy is a pain. For now just remove the cap, then the rotor. Once the rotor is out you can see the hollow in the shaft. There is a sponge that has to be lubed.

Access is horrendous, and you will not see much, but don't be afaird to put oil all over the place on a 400i : the distri. has a magnetic pickup (no points).

The manual recomends cold plugs (~NGK BP8ES), for a gentle wake-up you should try BP6ES (works better at idle).

Fuel injector is not a big issue: they are retained by o-rings that are probably dry now. Sadly the (cheap) mercedes o-rings are not compatible, so you have to pay the prancing-horse price. Easy to source (superformance/eurospares).

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Not sure on the 400I but with running issues on my 308 QV there were some protection relays that would wiggle loose or connectors that were corroded caused a lot of running issues. missing can also be plug extenders - spark plug wires. ( assuming the 400 has plug extenders. ) Given these cars electrical gremlins I'd look there first... then go to KJet. The injection systems are pretty basic and usually are robust.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    400i gen1 has no relay issues. 400i gen2 (new dashboard without wood or ammeter) comes with the cheapy relay panel that has plagued all the Ferraris of that era.

So if it's a gen2, [Um=27540]@spirot[/USER] advice is worth investigating.

9. Bubba5320

Bubba5320 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2024
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Gen 2 it is. 1984. I will check the fuse/relay panel out. I believe it was renewed at one point.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its can be the actual fuse panel but more likely the connectors that are behind it.... The physical build quality of Ferrari at this time was pretty good... except for electrics. Fuel pumps for what ever reason just pull tons of amps.. and overload the board.

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Dirty tank combined with failed mesh screens results in the pump swallowing a tons of debris (remember the filter is after the pump) and high amps.