Some Mondial selection guidance | FerrariChat

Some Mondial selection guidance

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by EpicTech71, May 13, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which Mondial ?

1. Mondial 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mondial QV

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Mondial T

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. EpicTech71

EpicTech71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Christopher King
    Hey folks, so I hear mixed opinions on the carbureted Mondial's vs those with fuel injection. I am really trying to narrow down my search and have an 81 found, an 85, and a 89 that is just crazy expensive. What is the best year or version to go with? Carbureted, QV, Mondial T?? Also I am looking at coupe's vs the more popular convertibles. I'm mechanically inclined so not scared of doing things myself. Thanks in advance.

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    There was never a carbureted Mondial. All Mondials have fuel injection.

Mondial 8, QV, and 3.2 have CIS fuel injection. Mondial t has Motronic.

I have a really amazing 86 Mondial 3.2 Coupe that will be coming up for sale soon. You're in Houston; feel free to contact me and come take a look!

3. EpicTech71

EpicTech71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Christopher King
    Thanks ! I must have a read a typo then while researching the Mondial 8, it stated they were the last carbureted models. Message me some info on the Mondial when available.

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I specifically bought my 1988 3.2 cabriolet because I did not want the complexity of the T model, the power steering adjustable suspension are just two more things that can go wrong and be expensive to fix, also, I did not want the expense of having to drop the engine to do the timing belt and other engine services! Coups can be hard to find in the US, although they're very common in Europe, good luck! They're great cars, you'll love it!
    Alden

decampos, peterp and EpicTech71 like this.
  5. EpicTech71

EpicTech71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Christopher King
    Thank you Aiden ! Appreciate the input very much.

6. John Hasty

John Hasty Rookie

Jul 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    John H. Hasty
    I have a '89 t cab that will be on BAT soon if you are interested, I'm in the Charlotte area.

7. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    I think the '85 3.0 QV is the sweet spot if you want the classic black bumper look. That's what I ended up purchasing back in 2018, and the car has 348 wheels which look very in tune with the overall appearance with the car (also have the original wheels). '86 might be the sweet spot if you prefer the body colored bumpers and the 3.2 engine, but without the ABS of the slightly later years (prior to the "t"). Although I can't say that the added "complexity" of ABS seems to be causing people a lot of problems. It will all boil down to the best cars that are available when you're ready to purchase. Even the 8 can be a cool car, and has that classic sound when the engine is in the higher rpm range. None of these models are going to win a drag race against a modern sedan of almost any make, but that's not what the Mondial is about.

EpicTech71 likes this.
  8. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I have an '87 without ABS, I think it was a mid-year change. I also have the standard wheels, as opposed to the metric which I think was an optional selection. The metric wheel limit tire choices, but there are log threads on that topic pro and con.

EpicTech71 likes this.
  9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If you can, it would be good to add 3.2 to your poll so you get a weighting on all of the models versus just the models around you at the moment.

Do not get the 8. It is slow (not easy to fix the performance issues) and it had electrical issues.

The other 3 models perform well and all are great. Either the “t” or the 3.2 is the “best” model depending on your priorities.

The t performs a bit better than the 3.2, but is more complex than the 3.2 (and earlier models).

The t has smaller side intake strakes and no wheel flares. The 3.2 (and other models) has flares and a larger intake. See which one you find most attractive

I prefer the 3.2 looks and simplicity wise.

If you like the retro black bumper look (versus body color), the QV might be for you. Some QV’s have painted bumpers by owners, which might be a way to get the modern look at the lower price of the QV.

Just don’t get the 8. Find a good example of QV, 3.2, or t, and you will love it.

There was no carbureted Mondial - that was the early 308. The Mondial 8 was the first with FI to meet emissions regulations, which is what killed performance of that engine. Performance was fixed with the QV and beyond.

EpicTech71 likes this.
  10. EpicTech71

EpicTech71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Christopher King
    All great input, thank you guys so much. I am more attracted to body color bumpers and would prefer to have the flares, so I guess I am looking for about an 86?

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Go by model (3.2) rather than year, but ‘86 to ‘88 should be a 3.2. But also keep eye out for QV (‘83 - ‘85) with painted bumpers, assuming you like the look.

EpicTech71 likes this.
  12. EpicTech71

EpicTech71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Christopher King
    thank you Peter P !

13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    This!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

moysiuan likes this.
  14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The cab has an access panel behind the rear seats which the hardtops do not have which allows access to the front bank of the engine. If you are going to work on your own car, get the cab.

By 1988, the 3.2 and its sister car the 328 were very well sorted cars (and share many mechanical parts). This final year before the major t changes is probably on balance the "best" Mondial.

davem, ronfrohock and EpicTech71 like this.
  15. EpicTech71

EpicTech71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Christopher King
    Thank you that helps a lot !!

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    You should drive both a cab and a hardtop, they are quite different in feel. The cab sturcture is fairly rigid for a long wheelbase convertible, but is no where near as solid and tight as the hardtop. If you intend to track the car the hardtop is the better car for sure.

The cab roof design is also a bit ad hoc, there can be leaks at the windshield header and side windows. If you intend to drive alot in the rain, get the hardtop.

I have the 1988 3.2 cab, a somewhat unique Swiss market model, and love it, but there are different horses for courses.

peterp likes this.
  17. EpicTech71

EpicTech71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Christopher King
    My wife likes the looks of the cab, but I reminded her of those very things about the leaks, top header sealing against the windshield, etc, and my biggest phobia which is thieves can just cut the top to gain access to the car. Sure they can also just break a window on a hardtop, but I feel the coupe is more secure. Don't really plan to track the car, this is more of a weekend cruise around car. On another note, kind of glad there is not one available that I am happy with at the moment, save for a silver one I located over in Holland. It's a Mondial 8 though, but the price is right. Really want a 3.2 QV if I am going to get one, and if I get to wait a little longer I might get to step up to a 308. I'm the type that will absolutely wait for the right car.

18. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    One thing on the 308/328, have you sat in one? The Mondial feels a lot larger, especially with headroom. I have a long torso and my head hits the roof in those cars, but not the Mondial. Even with the roof up... A friend has a Lotus Esprit, and it's a car I couldn't live with for the same reason.

19. EpicTech71

EpicTech71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Christopher King
    I have not sat in a 308/328, but looked all over a 308 at a Cars & Coffee. The room looks ok to me. For reference I am 6ft and just shy of 200lbs. My legs are long-ish. I know a couple of cars I dont fit well in, the Miata and a Honda S2k. I like both but never bought because too cramped for my taste. I have driven a friends Esprit as well, and while a superb driving experience, my head hard-pressed against the roof was a no-go and cost me a headache.

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I doubt theives will figure out the unusual parking brake and can shift a manual transmission!

The Mondial is alot more comfortable to get in and out of than a 308/28, it is not as low and has long doors giving easy access. The longer wheel base gives it very stable tracking on the highways. The 308 was in fact a step down in period in terms of price.

No question that the collector types will favour the 308, the 2 plus 2's always tend to have a smaller audience. But when it comes to frequent driving, the Mondial is the easier car to live with.

But another poster mentions you should sit in both, some people just don't fit in the 308/28. The Mondial does have the feet cant towards the centre of the car, as the wheel well intrudes on the legroom. Mnay also get a steering wheel spacer to get the tilting steering a bit of the missing telescopic effect that improves the reach relative to the optimal seat position viz a viz the shifter. So the Mondial has some quirky ergonomics too.

EpicTech71 likes this.
  21. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Same here and the 308 is fine for me, I've owned two of them. BTW, PM sent regarding your hunt.

22. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Drive in the rain?????

[I just HAD to say it! Cheers, SG]

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Speaking of rain and water, that's another thing to keep in mind. I believe I have read here and elsewhere that the quality of the steel used in the 8 and early QV was a bit inferior. I believe it was bartered with Russia for other goods and services. Again, someone else may have better details on this. By the '85 model year, better quality steel may have been used along with rustproofing methods which then got a bit better with each passing year. Just another data point to keep in mind with your search. If you end up with a '86 with the painted front and rear bumpers, you should be in good shape as far as steel and rustproofing, assuming that no panels have been replaced.

EpicTech71 likes this.
  24. EpicTech71

EpicTech71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Christopher King
    Good info, thanks !