My 348 original wheels are Chrome ? | FerrariChat

My 348 original wheels are Chrome ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by John Glen, May 24, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    My 1990 348ts came to me with chrome wheels. I didn't care for the look and found a set of 360 "starfish" wheels to replace the chromed original wheels (which I have kept). I had the rear offset machined on the rear 360 wheels to fit properly and replaced the wheel bolts as applicable. I'm considering restoring the original wheels to the proper silver painted finish. Has anyone had experience with this situation ? ie how to best prep chrome to accept primer and paint. How would the car be best represented if being marketed for sale ?

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I highly doubt you can just strip the chrome off. I think I speak for everyone in saying that the chrome wheels would look horrible and would prevent you from getting top dollar. It will probably be easiest to source some original wheels as that will be what everyone is looking for.

bjwhite likes this.
  3. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    You have to chemically strip the chrome and it’s a nasty heavily-regulated process and therefore expensive. You’re better off getting another set off eBay as the previous poster said. They’re cheap if you look.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Rifledriver likes this.
  4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yep, agree with the others. Find another set of non-chromed wheels. Not sure what people were thinking back in the day. haha.

5. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My 328 had chromed wheels. After investigating how expensive it would be to do that I found someone who wanted chrome wheels and traded.