Dwell angle/point gap for 1976 Euro distributor setup | FerrariChat

Dwell angle/point gap for 1976 Euro distributor setup

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dandy_Don, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Hi, I am looking for the dwell angle/point gap for a single Euro distributor setup on a '76 drysump engine. It has two sets of points in the single distributor, one driving each bank. GT car parts in Arizona has the rotor for about $85 and the point sets for about $35 each. They don't carry the cap which I am sure is expensive and I am inclined to just try and reuse the old one that I have. I am going to set it up initially for points/standard ignition but would like to eventually go with an electronic conversion.

I have the two Crane XR700's on a '79 engine with twin distributors and after looking at it closely I cannot see how to adapt them for use in the single Euro distributor. It would seem that if one keeps the Euro distributor cap with its peculiar rotor setup- it's really two rotors in one and the cap is set up with two heights of contacts- then you really need to have two sets of points or optical triggers in the distributor and 2 coils- the distributor cam with its 4 lobes is really not tall enough to take two optical triggers and two shutters. I will call Crane cams in the morning but I am not hopeful. I understand from looking at some of the older threads that Pertronix will retrofit distributors (single as well as Twin??) but last time I checked they had a huge backlog and were quite expensive. To get the engine running I will invest in the points and the rotor but am interested in the electronic system because I have found it to be so reliable on the twin distributor setup. Thanx in advance for any help Don

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'm not expressly familiar with the space available inside of the "single" 308 distributor, but you don't need two shutter wheels --- you can just use one shutter wheel (with 4 slots at 90 deg) and mount the two optical pick-ups 135 deg apart physically inside the distributor (this gives 4 pulses at each pick-up separated by 90 deg of crankshaft rotation -- which is equivalent to the dual distributor set-up) -- just a thought...

For the '76 Euro dwell spec -- download the corresponding OM from the Owners Site (but I don't see why it would be much different that the dual distributor set-up -- since like you noted, the "single" set-up is quasi-equivalent architecture-wise to the dual set-up with a "combined" cap and shared distributor shaft/cam)

3. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Steve, that is a great idea. The only difficulty will be in trying to get the two optical readers exactly 135* apart from each other. Now all I have to do is check to see if the 4 lobed distributor cam in the single distributor is the same as the one in the twin and then I am in business. Thanx a lot, it will save me a few steps and some money and it will be great to get to electronic on the first try. Don