What does everyone collect here? Are there any Vintage G I Joe collectors here? | FerrariChat

What does everyone collect here? Are there any Vintage G I Joe collectors here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by silverf1modena, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

I know this is totally off the subject, but are there any vintage GI Joe collectors here? I might sound like a weirdo, a grown man with dolls, but I collect of alot of things and amongst them I have a big collection of the pre 80's 12 in GI Joes and accessories. I have alot of rare ones too, but I haven't really been up to it and was going to offload some, so if there are any of you interested, please let me know. Thanx! Plus, list what else you guys collect!

2. silverf1modena

I guess not^_^!
    Well it would be cool to see what other people's hobbies are in terms of collecting and so forth. I also collect Japanese vintage diecast robots, Vintage skateboards, all types of small scale cars including BBR models, watches and so forth...

3. EVelasco

EVelasco Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    While I don't have any big collections, I want to and will have a collection of fountain pens.

4. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I like to colect 1:18 diecast cars that have been signed by the person who made it famous. Race cars, movie cars etc. Collection is small though because it's not everyday you meet one of these people.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Scotch.

DL

6. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Used to collect stamps when I was a kid, but have stopped doing so for the last 10 years or so. Still have an extensive portfolio though.

Right now, I don't collect anything.

7. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I used to collect baseball and football cards. I stopped years ago. I still have a Barry Sanders rookie card in mint. I am planning to hold on to it for a long time and then cash it in. :)

8. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sad story:
    I was 12-ish and the neighborhood "big-kid" who was 16-17 was selling off all of his vintage (well not at that time) GI joe stuff. I don't remember how much I paid but it had to be less than $10 at that time. (1981-82) My memory is pretty sketchy but I do remember there being a TON of the big accessories. I remember a watchtower and a red/orange 4 or 6 wheeled buggy as well. I do know that it came in 3 BIG boxes of stuff and I was happier than a pig on s#it! At least for about 8 months until I decided to unload everything. :( Everything went at a garage sale in the $.50-$1 range. UGH!! If I had only known what it would have been worth at that time!:( I was just happy to have made more than I spent. (WOW maybe $5 profit! LOL!)

Ahhh, glorious hindsight!
    Dave

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    If you are looking to part with the GI Joe's, then ebay is probably your friend. You'll find some great collectors out there that want to get your original items for a good price. Timing is essential, so look and see what is out there.

Things I collect? I dig the 1/18ths and things Ferrari, but not only that. When SW Episode I came out, I snagged up the first series of the action figures, wrapped them all up and boxed & sealed em. I'll open those up in another ten years and see what the market is like. I used to collect comic books and have some very valuable ones as well. A few that are signed, and are worth some good dollars if only the artist(s) would die already! Those comics are all sealed up in storage and are in mint or near mint condition.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You call that years ago? (Chuckles the "Kids today" chuckle)

Still have the best 1 of my 1969 Johnny Bench rookies I got when I was a single-digit wax... Had 8, along with a few Nolan Ryans all NM/M - sold 'em all just before Barry Sanders was a rookie. Oldest decent Cards I have are 50's - oldest cards period are 1909-11, a few 1933's - all those are in really bad shape, but I traded 60's "commons" for them, as I just liked the hues, let alone pieces of history from an era when ball played for relatively little $ by the majority of players.
    That was baseball. Plus, some teams just ain't around anymore, ya know?

11. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Antique Dietz lanterns.

12. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Wives, why do you think i dont own a Ferrari yet.

13. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    No GI Joe collection here... I used to have some GI figures and such when I was little, but I sold a whole trash bag's worth of GI Joe, Masters of the Universe figures, etc at a flea market for about $15. I was probably about 10 or 12 at the time, so that was some big money for me. :)

I was into baseball cards for a while, and I rekindled the interest a couple of years ago. I started collecting older cards again. I focused mainly on getting Mickey Mantle cards, but got a bunch of other HOFer cards too. I also focused my efforts on getting cards of all the 1919 Black Sox. I have a few, but I haven't bought a card in a while.

After the baseball cards, I moved on to autographs. I sent ~3 letters a day to celebrities and sort of celebrities and got a bunch of responses. I've gotten some interesting ones... an autographed home photo of Jackie Chan... an autographed 8x10 and a very nice note from Lois Maxwell (Ms. Moneypenny in the Bond films)... a couple of old Duke Snider cards autographed. My current favorite, though, is the one of my idol, Donald Trump. I have the 8x10 hanging next to my computer and an autographed notecard on one of my desks.

I enjoy my collections... I don't really do it for the money.

14. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    let us see in collectables what you have in your collection, it would be great.

15. silverf1modena

AwWwW! Ha! Don't you hate that! Man, I used to have some comic books that I wish I still had. Some are worth like $10,000 or more.And my brother was going to buy a used 73 Carrera RS for like about 8 grand back in the days and decided not to. I had a 67 Micro bus that was cherry that I picked up for $1200 bucks and then cherried it out even more and then owed some money to my friend so i gave it to him, when I was in college. Now those things cost a grip! *sigh*

16. silverf1modena

Thanx for the info!
    Ha! I have alot of old comics too! That is so funny what u said about the artists^_^!(or is itO_O?)

17. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I met the inventor of "GI Joe" years ago, in a toy industry litigation. If you gave me a name or two, i might recognize it. My favorite image, relating to the toy, is in the sci-fi film "Xtro," where, among other things, the alien makes a toy GI Joe doll come alive, and it kills his annoying neighbor. Ever see it?

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    LOL, Nice....I guess!!!!!

DL

19. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have a few 1999 Millinium Princess Barbies for sale @ $100. These have never even been taken out of the bag that they left the store in! Any takers?

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm very much of the "collector" frame of mind. Not much as interest in the subject, but the business quantitative part of it. I couldn't stand baseball, but the collecting I was probably most passionate about was baseball cards. I started in 1984 and rode the wave through about 1990. I didn't have much money for only being 10-15 years old, but I spent much of it on baseball cards. In 1990 or so Money magazine and everyone else was talking about how baseball cards were such a great investment. I was loosing interest and my mom wanted my kids to have my collection, so she bought it off me. For only making $10-20 every few weeks baby sitting I ended up with a nice collection. Best card would be a Hank Aaron rookie. I have several other rookies through 80's and dozens of complete sets. Mom took a bath after the baseball card crash, but she bought it for my kids anyway.

Other things I've "collected" and still have most of them... stamps, rocks, comic books (haven't read a one), coins, paper money, stock certificates, model cars, the miniature GI Joes and SW, autographs, and Magic cards (4-5 years back).

Current active collecting... 1:1 Ferraris, 1:18 Ferraris, Ferrari magazines, Ferrari books, racing books, racing prints, Ferrari related autographs.

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I had practically EVERY Star Wars toy from the early to late 80's, and 60+ GI JOEs with a dozen vehicles, maybe 30 Transformers... then my siblings were born and that all came to a screeching halt. Unfortunately I've lost everything moving over a dozen times since then. I also had a hockey card phase and a comic book phase around 10-12.

Now I have a small stable of (mostly unbuilt) 1:24 models. I keeping wanting a collection of vintage video games, as I've had nearly every system since the Atari 2600 (an urge mostly satisfied by emulators). I don't know what I'll collect later on, hopefully Ferraris though, like Steve!

A unique collection gives a lot of character and something to talk about in social occasions too.

I'd like to have plenty of uplifting classic and modern artwork around the house too - I think there's nothing better than giving your kids good books, good art and good music when they're young (other than time with them). I was a real nerd kid!

22. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #22 JayO, Apr 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back in 1991 my cousin that worked at the Boston Garden got me one of Ray Bourque's jerseys after a game - straight out of the locker room. That got me hooked on hockey memorabilia. I stuck to mostly signed pictures and sticks for a while. About 4 years ago I started to collect mostly game-worn jerseys and equipment. Since then, I have aquired some pretty nice pieces (if you are a Boston Bruins fan), including another Ray Bourque jersey, Andy Moog's jersey worn during the 1990 Stanley Cup Finals, two of Moog's bear helmets from the early 90's and a helmet and skates worn by Bourque. Obviously, these two guys were my favorite players. But, I also have a number of other Bruins jerseys and pieces of equipment from 1990-present. Not to mention a bunch of 8x10's and other signed pieces.
    I'm not sure if anyone cares, but here are a couple pics.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    Production art (cels & drawings) from Disney feature films from Snow White to the Little Mermaid. Villains only!!!

24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My mom found my GI Joe helicopter a month or so ago. It has to be from the late 60's or very early 70's. It's a little rough, but is complete and still works. My kids are playing with it now. I THINK the rest of my GI Joe stuff is still in the storage room at my parents house. I need to dig it up I guess.

25. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I collect vintage 1838 - 1878 revolvers and Sharp's rifles:

1858 Remington Army .44
    1860 Colt Army w/detachable stock .44
    1848 Colt Walker .44
    Colt 3rd Model Dragoon .44
    1862 Colt Police .31
    1854 .54 Sharps SRC
    50/140 3-1/2 Sharp's Long Range Express (think Quigley)
    .50 Cal Hawken Rifle

and some other misc. stuff from old west era.