Silverstate..let's race! | FerrariChat

Silverstate..let's race!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by G-force, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    www.silverstateclassic.com

I have $500 ... any 360CS owner want to try and beat the Gallardo in the 1 Mile shootout?? Even when you loose you'll have fun!!

Tired of only seeing 1 or 2 Ferraris out of 200 cars!

Why did you buy these cars? To look at them or stand next to them??

AS per Allanlambo suggestion..I will widen this challange ____ to any Ferrari 308/348/355/360/456/550/575/TR/512TR/512M ______________
    Drive a Gallardo and then tell me you would rather own a Ferrari!

2. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I dont understand why there arent any takers.Its just a Gallardo.I could beat it with my...well....uhh...MY 6.0!!Oh,thats a lambo.Im sure someone will come forward with an F car.

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Good grief, posted here, Off Topic and LamboTalk. Anywhere else?

4. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    And still no takers.Amazing.Just for fun.

5. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    AJ, see my reply elsewhere. I'm on the East coast and don't really want to travel across the country for a drag race, if that's what it is. I think I have $500 somewhere, and would be willing to meet Wayne at a mutually inconvenient race track for some hot but friendly laps.

6. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I understand.And yes,it is a one mile drag race.I have done a couple of them lately and they are a hoot.Seems to be gaining in popularity.There is a monthly event in N.Carolina that I just signed up for.I really wouldnt go either,because Im in Atlanta,and Nevada is a long way.

7. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    There will no takers. I'm not surprised I could open it up to all Ferraris
    probably still no takers. the obvious winners Enzo,F-50,F-40 and possibly 288GTO owners won't take their cars to Nevada and God forbid DRIVE them that many miles. These cars were meant to be driven and driven hard
    in my opinion. Too bad.. oh well they can admire their garage queens.

8. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "And yes,it is a one mile drag race.I have done a couple of them lately and they are a hoot.Seems to be gaining in popularity.There is a monthly event in N.Carolina that I just signed up for."

Sorry for the thread hijack. AJ, is it like a time trial, one car at a time? I completely understand why a 1 mile drag race would be more popular than a track event for many, many reasons. The thought of using my clutch for a standing start makes my wallet tingle, though.

9. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Wayne,

The Silverstate Classic is a great event, but as I have posted before please don't call it a race. Call it a time trial, top speed event, ...whatever, but it ain't racing when cars leave the starting line at seperate intervals.

I am not saying you have to be on an oval or a roadcourse but driving flat out on a public road by your self isn't racing. If you don't start the race with a car next to you (even drag racing is real racing), behind you or in front of you it ain't racing in my book.

According to your profile you owned several fast Ferrari's (288GTO, F40...) but I don't think I have ever seen you cars at the Silver State Classic. Correct me if I am wrong!

As for the Gallarado, I DID drive one two weeks ago at a local dealer in Gaithersburg MD. and while it's a nice car I WOULDN'T own one over a F40 or a 360 CS.

And you can rest assured if I had a Ferrari I would take you up on your offer as long as you would take me up on my offer of showing up at any race track (a real road circuit, not the local highway). I'd even let you run slicks like my Challenge car would run on............and I'd still blow your @#$%^ and your Lambo into the weeds.

You chide Ferrari owners for not driving their cars, but last time I checked there was no Lamborghini clubs in my area hosting track days at any tracks. Once in a while I see one show up, but I can chide you for owning a car that most people drive on the street to impress everyone else.

I bet more Ferraris are run at one single FCA track event than all the Lambos in the US put together.

Impressing folks on the public highway with your incredible skill at mashing the pedal to the floor is no less impressive than all the suped up Honda's and Subarus who want to impress me with their 4 ft carbon fiber wings.

All Allan did for two years was quote us all these great lap times from the Nurburgring about how this Lambo and that Lambo is faster than the equivalent Ferrari. Quite a shame you all drive cars that are so much faster in theory but are scarred to bring them to the track.

I guess the car is only faster if a fast driver is at the wheel and in most cases Lambo drivers aren't fast drivers !!

Cheers,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

10. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

To begin with the previous Ferraris I owned were before Silverstate for me.
    I've never taken a Ferrari to Silverstate because my last Ferrari (before this 550) was a 1987 TR. I ran Vipers,996TT at Silverstate. Also both of those cars saw track time and yes drag strip times. I enjoy it all don't have much time these days but my cars get used and abused.Wheel to wheel is the most exciting without question but I really like 90 miles of open highway
    also. Jon there is no one to impress on 90 miles of open highway ! I ride solo
    and it is for ME and no one else.

My complaint isn't with Ferrari owners that track their cars obviously
    they are in the minority though. My gripe is with the non-driving ego
    maniac ones that won't even drive fast at Silverstate or track their cars.
    I'm trying to goad them into driving their cars if not on the track then at LEAST Silverstate!

11. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Wayne, undestood. You have to realize that the majority of any car marque is made up of people who buy their cars for the same reason. They look cool, are petty fast, handle well, and in some cases come from a company that has history or heritage (Ferrari F1, Porsche sports car racing).

But that being said, most people don't buy their cars because they can go 150, 160, or even 170 and above. And most people will never use 100% of the car's capabilities.

Whether it's Ferrari owners, Porsche's owners, Viper owners or whatever, the majority buy them for public road use. We tend to stereotype certain owners, as you did in your post and I did in my post.

Ferrari owners = people who can't drive, cars that spend more time in the shop thant the driveway
    Porsche owner's = overpaid accountants and lawyers and wealthy housewives who need cup holders in the car
    Lambo owners = rappers who wear gold chains
    Honda owners = college drop outs who blow all their money on look fast goodies

and on an on.

The point is that most of these cars are bought to drive on weekends or to make the ride to work less boring.

The fact that you and I drive our cars to the maximum put's us in the extreme minority.

Yes, you most likely aren't impressing anyone but yourself at the Silverstate. I was referring more towards the people who post about their "kills" on public roads (and yes I used to do that stuff too) and call it racing. How many times have you heard "...I raced a Z06 today and hit 145 on I56".

Most of the people who show up at Silverstate and run in the fast run groups are speed freaks like you and I. They show up at track days, race, or are into other high excitement stuff (skydiving, rock climbing et...).

The averate exotic car buyer want nothing more than something that looks exotic and will accelerate like a rocket from 0-100. Anything beyond 100-125 is too scarry for most folks.

I used to do really stupid stuff on public roads and even got pulled over once for doing in excess or 125 (was doing 160 actually).

My problem with the Silverstate is that it's not all that safe. It's like the Nurburgring. There is no way they can have the appropriate number of flaggers and observation points along 90 miles of freeway. The surface isn't all that great either. What happens if the car in front of you lays down oil on a section of road and you come upon it at 180 mph. You're toast. And given that it's 90 miles it may be a while until someone gets to you. I seem to recall it took over 10 minutes for anyone to get to the burning TR that killed one occupant in the early years.

With most car clubs the percentage of people who engage in track events is in the single digits. With FCA I think it's around 10% and the high is PCA club with about double that.

Cheers,

Jon

12. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    My problem with the Silverstate is that it's not all that safe. It's like the Nurburgring. There is no way they can have the appropriate number of flaggers and observation points along 90 miles of freeway. The surface isn't all that great either. What happens if the car in front of you lays down oil on a section of road and you come upon it at 180 mph. You're toast. And given that it's 90 miles it may be a while until someone gets to you. I seem to recall it took over 10 minutes for anyone to get to the burning TR that killed one occupant in the early years.
    End Quote
    \

Jon
    It is much better now than the early years. The fastest speed classes run after everyone else is done. These are the cars most likely to DNF.
    Yes there are a couple of sections where My Viper went airborne due to road conditions. Oil spills you can NEVER adequately protect against.
    As an aside when Carls Porsche blew a tire at 190 and rolled it ended up not 10 yards from the rescue helocopter!!! lucky for him and his wife.

Thanks for your intelligent posts!!!!!!!!!!!