Why do we blank license plates in photos here? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why do we blank license plates in photos here?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    totally correct.

the vin° of most F-cars can be seen above the steering wheel.

And when you go to the Ferrari days, every catalog has the vin n° and name of the owner in it too.

2. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Because this is unavoidable.

Yes, Quite probably. But then 2000 miles is nothing nowadays. Criminal activity is not limited or restricted by distance.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's not paranoia.

With just your plate and a connection to the internet (as well as a few other things that anyone can get), I can have your name, address, phone # and a few other things. A few more minutes and I can have your SSN and virtually unlimited credit from that.

The difference between the internet and just tooling around is the Size of The Audience. On any given day, on any given week during any given month, there may be 10000 people that see my plate, of those maybe 10 can run the info, and of those 10, maybe no one will care enough to bother with doing anything with such.

How many unique IP address hits does FCHAT have a day? How many of those are regular members, and how many of those are closet scammers looking for a hook?

As with anything, it's not the exposure but the dosage that gets you. Limit the exposure and you limit the dosage by default.

When you have things that other people want (money, lots of it), it does make sense to take steps to protect what you have.

If you are Chaa, and some 200 pound weakling decides to run his plates and raid his house and the rude awakening comes not only with a thump but the sounds of bones breaking, then you have nothing to worry about.

If you are not Chaa, and do not have such in your employ, then a little bit of forward thinking is needed.

The easiest of which is to control the exposure so the dosage doesn't give you a headache.

4. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    on the other hand...

it's cheaper (here) to change your name by deed poll to your current license plate than it is to get a vanity plate to match your name...

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    No problem,
    here is mine, here you go:

Licence plate: HD - TR 1991
    VIN: ZFFAA17B000091239

...waiting for your phone call;)

6. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

On the internet, millions of people can see your plate #. Several dozen can easily run the plate to see where you live. One or two may be unbalanced or malevolent enough to want to pay you a visit & do you harm.

In person, the odds are so much more in your favor. On the web, they are in the perps' favor.

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Exactly. Precisely why I don't title cars in my name. It gives me peace of mind that the only thing someone can look up is a company address. Sure, if they wanna dig they could turn up a home address eventually. But why hand it to them?

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Vincent,

No offense taken. I notice that the Ferrari Chat police are out in full form.

My name's Matt Ferrari, and I live in Pittsburgh, PA, USA. The car is s/n 9453. And I really haven't had plates on for the past couple of months!

--Matt

9. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Englewood, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mr Bill
    Sorry to drag up the dead.. but I just saw this.

Show a Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes or Volvo online... with an American plate on it, and I would be happy to ship a key to your car to you.

I hate to say it, but you never do know who's watching, reading, etc. I'm a car dealer and we frequently order keys for cars. Not too long ago we needed a key for a Jaguar (I sell a lot of used Jags).

I had Casey, my friend, call up a Jag dealer we buy parts from with the car's vin and order the key. No questions asked. And she just started working with us, so it's not like they know her.

1 hour and $25 later I had a spare key to said 1997 XJ6. What if I was a clever crook with a cop friend who could run tags? Oh wait. I can run tags too I believe.

Oh, they want a copy of the reg? No problem, think I can't scan and photoshop one of those and fax it over from Mail Boxes, etc in about 30 mins assuming I know how to use P-Shop?

Hate to sound like a looney.. as long as I've been in the car business, the slick scams that criminals think up are amazing.

10. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, that's disconcerting! But that still doesn't do you much good unless you can walk to the car with that key... and if you can walk to that car, then you can easily write down NOT ONLY the tag BUT ALSO the VIN... they are in plain view!

Soooo... many more criminals but with much less access to the car and VIN...

No doubt... that's why I was wanting to talk this out here... but the point being, why would a criminal wanting to exercise the ability to get keys made knowing only VIN and TAG go after info on the Internet that they can't use, when they can far more easily stroll down the street and get the info off parked cars that they can easily steal.

So, what kind of scam might make sense for an Internet criminal?

11. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    How DO you blank - out plates in a photograph ?

12. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I take my magic wand and wave it over the plate before I reduce the pic to 640x480. ;) (Seriously, I do... I have a Mac... iPhoto's magic wand tool works wonders and makes this terribly easy.)

Typically you use your favorite bit-map tool... Photoshop, Fireworks, Paint Shop Pro, whatever... and just brush it away, erase it, or draw a box over it.

13. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Some of hte experiences i have had with taking pictures and placing them on hte internet is this. Yes a lot of pictures have the plated blocked out, but I have taken some photos where I did not intentionally block out the plate and from hte angle you are taking the picture and hte use of a flash, sometimes the license plate will reflect the flash and create the same effect as blocking out the plate. So I would venture to say not all of the blocked plates you see on hte internet are bloked out intentionally.

Wade
    www.fortunemotors.com
    www.308qvregister.com

14. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Englewood, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mr Bill
    Well...

think about it. How many Ferraris do you see on the street? Unless you live in a nice part of California, perhaps South Florida.. well, you don't see them every day.

It's a thought... probably a crazy one, but nothing surprises me anymore.

15. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Who in their right mind registers their cars to a home address ? Why did God invent PO Boxes for ? Car registrations , Drivers License all go to a PO Boxes (holding companies things like that ).

16. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    WFO: you said it!

I recomend Mail Boxes ETC (now UPS Store) box. It can appear as a regular suite/apartment number (it dosen't 'look' like a box, people with polict of not sending to a Box won't be any the wiser.) They also auto-forward to your office/home, and will handle larger packages.

17. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Okay, for a moment there I thought I might be out of my right mind; but...

In Texas, your Drivers' License can NOT go to a PO Box. Your car registration can, but if it does then you must list a real address for the location of the car. So, God didn't invent PO Boxes for that purpose, anyway.

This is sort of a solution. However, once they have you and your wife's name from your vehicle registrations, they can pull the voters' registrations in the area to find out your real address. And that has to be your residence so that you are in your proper voting precinct. So, nobody in their right mind would vote?

I guess you could choose not to vote and to send your DL and registrations to UPS Store. But then, if you ever write checks, you also need your checks addressed there (so it matches your DL). And thus all your bank statements go there. How much else will need to be re-addressed to the UPS Store? And what happens when the UPS Store closes or moves?

And then what if you have kids that you need to register for school? Now your address on most everything is not in the nearest elementary school district... so, you'll have to convince them where you really live.

Hmmm... so, how many of you choose not to vote and to actually go to the trouble to get most of your mail from the UPS Store, Mailboxes ETC, Postnet, or similar?

Or are most of you out of your right mind and just receive your mail at your home?

18. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    It would be interesting for people to do a Google on their plate. "Spasso" doesn't seem to turn up anything, but I do get a few hits on "4RE GT4". However, my references seem to be related to FChat postings, not my plate specifically.