What if? | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What would happen if someone bought a 360 challenge and a 360 modena and one titled the 360 modena but put the plate on the challenge. Could you drive it on the street with no problem? Assuming they are both the same color. Has anyone ever thought about this?
    Erik

2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
  3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The minute you were involved in an accident or traffic stop where the Officer checked the vin number, you would have trouble.

4. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    not worth it at all.

5. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have never been pulled over in the 2 years I have been driving knock on wood. Does the officer really ever check the VIN? Can you drive a 360 C with a dealer tag on the street?
    ERik

6. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Your insurance company will bend you over if they find out, and if you get into an accident they WILL find out. Smart cops are out there too.. and if they catch you, your screwed either way.
    You will then spend time making license plates, all because you swapped one on a car.
    In otherwords, Don't do it, and Don't try it.
    It just isn't Smart,
    CS

With a Dealer Tag, yes.. technically you can drive almost anything that will fit on the street with a dealer tag, but I am sure there is risks to that if you do it for long periods of time.

7. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Get yourself Dealer plates. No sales tax, no emissions, no registration fee's, no headaches.

8. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks and no I wasn't going to try it I was just wondering. What do you have to do in order to get dealer transferable tags? No I am not doing this either just curious.
    Erik

9. JusSumFastGi

JusSumFastGi Rookie

Dec 23, 2003
    What does it take to get "dealer plates" anyways? ;)

10. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    A dealer's plate is your ticket to freedom.

11. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I do know that dealer tags are transferable(sp) if you can get one and then take it from car to car does this mean that instead of putting reg plates on all your cars can you instead just take your dealer tag with you.
    ERik

12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "Get yourself Dealer plates. No sales tax, no emissions, no registration fee's, no headaches"

One of the most abused privileges in motoring...

The Dealer Tag.

13. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Here in NJ it is not an easy task. You have to actually become a dealer and be licensed. It's not something that you can just go out and apply for and it's not cheap.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Erik
    You can walk into a bank with a gun and ask for money. If you're caught you'll get a chance to meet some of the same people that you will if you're caught doing what you asked about. I'm sure these guys would love to have a nice young cell mate who once had 2 Ferrari's...

15. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Erik-

I have had the highway patrol call me to verify the locations of a VIN on a 360. It is not just on the steering column and the door. It is also stamped into the passenger floor board. Next time you are by a 360 that you can look around in, slide the seat fwd. and there will be a lil flap in the carpet. Raise that and VIN # 3. There is also a vin stamped elsewhere, on the frame.

About driving on the street. I have heard of a certian person not on this board driving his 360c from his house to his workshop, and had no issues, but I bet he did not see any L.E.O.'s (law enforcement officers)

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Keep in mind, as your profile indicates, you drive a suburban. This isn't really the target for a speeder in the eyes of an officer compared to a red sports car. Once you get into a sports car, you'll realize just how much of a target you are for onlookers, people wanting to race, people wanting to run you off the road, and even more... traffic cops.

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is not as easy as it used to be...in many states like Washington, it is actually quite regulated....and if you do not show sufficient "volume" in sales, they will yank your "dealer's license" and possibly go after you for "tax evasion" since in our state, the vehicle license is taxed based on the valuation of the car. In years past, many folks would get a dealer's license, just to avoid the excise tax on the car, and skip the emission checks and such. Though each dealer plate may cost $300 each per year, or even a bit more, that is nothing compared to the what the excise tax could amount to.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Napolis is correct.

The law would make no distinction between your charade and the guys who are stealing and chopping cars, or sending them overseas.

I think you'd be in felony territory pretty quickly.

Besides, I had already thought of it!!! LOL!!

Research the threads, there is a break point after which the Challenge cars are no longer street legal. Based upon mods that were made.

Quite a few 348s out there running, IIRC.
    "Yea, officer, I paid extra for the yellow lenses on this 360NGT, I thought it'd be easier on your eyes at night" :)

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I think the roll bar would be a <ahem> dead giveaway, and scraping the road 'low' would not help either, and you wouldn't be running slicks or the high temperature brake pad materials either. At that point, why bother?

20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah I do drive a suburban but I love it. However, I do drive my Dad's XLR and Cl500 and my moms H2 a lot. No problems yet :) . Mr. G you are right, and I would never try this just wondering what others thoughts were. Is it legal to drive a challange car with a dealer tag?
    Erik

21. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    What about registration stickers and all that gargle? An officer sees that you aint got one you'll get pulled over. I dont think he will really care if its a race car, he might not ever know. He'll just tell the boys 'Ya, I pulled a guy over in a Ferrari. He was going a little fast, nice car for it.'

22. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    If you have a 360 what's the point? Why not trailer your 360C to the track and really enjoy it.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No.

I had this discussion with the FCA at the 2000 meet in Dallas. Up to 1995, challenge cars were converted road cars. However, the challenge kit was never made street legal (and never would be for the number of cars that were made, it just wasn't worth the hassle). The argument can be made that even installing the roll bar from the kit would make the car illegal for the road. Not worth loosing a car to the impound or worse. Especially when some of them were brought into the country as race cars and never had all of the taxes paid on them.

The later 355 Challenge cars were never street legal, none of the 360 Challenge cars were ever street legal.

Jim is right, putting a dealer plate on a race car is one way to change your lifestyle.

24. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Which states make roll bars/cages illegal? What parts of a Challenge kit would make a car no longer street legal? Keep the bumpers, the lights, emmission controls, the airbags, and have a set of DOT tires and I would assume that the mods would be no different than any other aftermarket hop up that the kid down the street did to his Civic. Thanks to the work of SEMA we can continue to mod our cars. Now the later 355's and all 360 and 430 Challange cars were never titled from the factory so they won't be legal(until some of the Hot Rod Laws go into effect, which were not even glimmers in legislators eyes in 2004 when this thread started), but the earlier cars, or once with the kits added should be OK, roll bar or not. Otherwise I guess every Jeep I have owned has been illegal. ;)

Totally agree on keeping the dealer plates off of race cars. If the car is not otherwise legal, a dealer plate does not make it so, except for a possibly failing emissions system.

25. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I met a guy at a track day who keep an old license plate on his 355CH and he says that he has driven it to home depot and back but that is really all you can do without getting in some real trouble, what are the street-legal 355CH going for and how many could be registered?