how many refer to others on board as "friend" yet have never met? | FerrariChat

how many refer to others on board as "friend" yet have never met?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JimSchad, May 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I constantly am telling stories or advice I got from a "ferrari friend" etc. I do it partly because I like you guys, but also to avoid saying "this guy I never met in person, but feel like I know from my chat room".

How many others do this?

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Well i would say i am on %80 of the UKs forum ignore list.I have met a few good dudes on the general that i have spoken to on the phone or spoken to via PM.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Wow, you're creeping me out. Not really.

I think for the most part, people are more or less what they say they are on here, in sharp contrast to alot of the teen-age type chat rooms. I'm sure we have some exagerators and posers but I doubt many (excepting the folks who give zero info in profile).

Having said that, I feel like most folks are real people, that in a way, do seem to be friends (now I'm creeping myself out) since there seems to be no incentive to fake it, like creeps do in teen-age chat rooms.

4. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Yes...I've been fortunate to meet several F-Chatters here whom I consider to be good friends! To date, I've only had the opportunity to meet about half of them in person.

5. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I see my friend a couple of times a week yet i come here everyday, so in a way i would say yes you guys are my friends. (hopefully)

6. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    There are many here that I would consider friends, even though we have never met before. I've chatted with several via instant messengers before. I have met several guys thanks to this board.

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Friend
    n.
    1 A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
    2 A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
    3 A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
    4 One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement: friends of the clean air movement.

I've have met some great people on this site, they have helped me & I try to return the favor. I've never asked for much except for advice on various automotive questions to business transactions. Some have even offered prayer in time of need. Yes, I’m proud to refer the members of Fchat as my friends. You know who you guys & gals are.

Thanks.

Will

8. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I guess I wasn't really asking if you consider people on the board your friend. What I really meant was that if I tell a story or say I was given some advice by someone I "know" on this board I do the yadda yadda thing and just call them a friend...rather than explain that it is a guy I feel like I know, but really I have never met him since we just talk on a chat board.

9. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Some people tend to do that but not me. I only refer to people i am actually friends with as friends. Friends DO NOT include someone i met once or twice. Those would be classified as 'people i know'.

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I say..."from a Ferrari (enthusiast) website."

11. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I have never met anyone on this board, but I would consider them friends.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I say, "from a discussion board I go to"

But yes Jim, I've run into this a few times. My rule of thumb is when I meet them or exchange personal stories/info through emails or PM's they get up into the general 'friend' category and don't mention the F-chat thing.

Some people who are used to the web understand online friends/chat buddies idea, people who don't use computers think we're crazy. Then there's people who use computers but still don't trust anyone online.

13. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    There are quite a few people on this site that I consider friends that I haven't met yet. Obviously there are many different levels of friendship but there are plenty of people that I've met and see frequently that I am not as friendly with as some of the guys I know on here that I've yet to meet.

14. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    "Everyone is your friend, until you consider them your enemy."
    I think that should go for everyone here as well. :)
    If you consider something you got someone enjoyable, then wouldn't you consider that person your friend? I think that applies to information and stories as well.
    You don't need to meet someone, or see that person everyday for him/her to be your friend. To me a friend is anyone you can exchange a conversation with. That applies to a teacher, a tutor, the girl at the deli who always knows what type of sandwich you want, or each and every one of you.
    CS

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E

Damn Jim, do you preface everything with Ferrari? 'Ferrari Friend', 'Ferrari Jim', etc. :D

Yes, there are people on this board that I've never met that I consider friends. There are people on this board that I've never met that my kids consider friends too. Well actually, they consider him more of a Santa Claus. He knows who he is!

16. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Same here.

I agree Michael, one of the chief reasons I enjoy this site. As for the zero info in the profile thing.....well.....I like my privacy. If my integrity here ever comes into question there are a few members who can vouch for me. :)

17. Liberace The Great

Apr 22, 2004
    Heaven
    Full Name:
    Wladziu V. Liberace
    I'd like to be your friend. Six pack abs! Mmmmmmm.........:)

18. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Sure I refer to most of you guys as friends. Most, but not all. And there are some I just refer to as a**holes.............:>)

19. Jim J. Bullock.

Apr 22, 2004
    West Hollywood
    Full Name:
    Jim J. Bullock
    Then there are people you KNOW!!! You strapping oarsman, you!

Whos your anchor?

20. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Hey Libo,

I looked up your other three posts. I do not think you are one of those I will refer to as friend. I do not know if you qualify for the other or not. Next time you see him say hello to Mr. Rogers for me...................................

21. Liberace The Great

Apr 22, 2004
    Heaven
    Full Name:
    Wladziu V. Liberace
    James,

I am a friend to all. And by the way, Fred Rogers says hello. :)

22. Jim J. Bullock.

Apr 22, 2004
    West Hollywood
    Full Name:
    Jim J. Bullock
    Hey Pi-A-NO-Man!!! Shtay out of my henhouse.

DL

23. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I constantly do this and for the same reasons.

24. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I have several I have met and several I have not met. Lot's of great guys on here.

25. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Lots of people I would consider friends on here that I have never met. So many people have helped me out. It's just extra cool when you get to finally meet some of them - Like Aug! :)

It's funny that when you meet them, you don't call them by their real names, but by their screen names, lol.