348 hard to start | FerrariChat

348 hard to start

Discussion in '348/355' started by mvespo348, May 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was driving my 348ts around town today for pretty much the first time since I owned it for about an hour stop and go kind of thing. I sat at a few traffic lights for a bit and then stopped to pick something up for lunch. I would have to say it is about 80 degrees outside. I was running the air condition with the top off naturally it was hot! When I got back in the car and tried to start it, it took a few tries and finally started up. It does this most of the time so im familiar with it, especially when I have to explain it is normal to others watching over but this time it was different seems as if it was really trying to die out not start up. One thing I forgot to do was turn the air conditioner off before I shut down the car. I had my wife turn it off as I was turning the ignition and it fired up but a bit sluggish until I revved it up. Any comments? Is this normal when it is really hot?

Michael

2. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
  3. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
  4. RobS

RobS Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob S.
    It could be a dried up solder inside the main relay switch ? typical problems on old Honda's.

5. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    This may not apply to the 348, I don't know, but the hot start problem is a common thread among the Pantera folk. Basically the starter gets too hot after running around, and has a tough time turning over (turns over, but very slow). I don't know what the 348 fix is, but there are two things Pantera guys do--1)Check your ground! Make sure you have a good solid ground. 2)Get a hi-torque starter, better if designed for high heat (I have no idea what is available for a Ferrari). I hesitate to suggest a 3rd, because it's my own opinion, but there are heat-shield wraps available to go around the starter, that can keep the heat off. If your battery and ignition are good, then I'm sure it's 1 or 2.

6. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Michael, I had the same problem. In fact the thread mentioned is my experience with this. I can say that after the fix, I had no problems. Your car should start up hot or cold, no excuses. Make sure that the seals between the output shafts out of the motor are good. As this is the leading culprit in depleting the grease int he Flywheel.

Congrats on the car, 348's are awesome!