The J.P.M Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The J.P.M Thread

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Mike360, May 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Whats your take on JPM???

1. Ego Maniac. Major Jerk. Real *******.

2. Spoiled Brat. Cant control his temper.

3. Sore Loser. But his heart is in the right place.

4. Good driver, but attititude and temper hamper his ability.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    the guy just annoys me. it wasn't until i started seeing his antics off the race track that it really started to bother me. i thought he was a good hard driver, but when he drives that way, then goes to the interview to complain it makes him look like an ass.

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    jpm races hard for short periods of time and has no class when interviewed.

I think when his attitude changes in the interview we may see the best of JPM on the track.....I find the more I mellow the better my trackdays get and am able to concentrate longer and maintain a consistent pendulum timechart which Montoya needs.

The fact BMW and Mercedes engines seem to have lost both power and reliability has helped MS and RB take a step up the ladder as well.

I think what would be interesting would be to see the results at the end of the year and take Ferrari out of the equation and see who is the next best :)

3. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I must admit i made a mistake by not having an option of voting for JPM as a true good driver. What i think about JPM is an opinion, and obviously a biased one. My mistake. But im glad some sort of discussion came of it.
    Sorry guys.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Asianbond,

I was answering YOUR post, I quote yourself:

You asked the question about how long MS had been racing to get winning, I answered with facts ... thats all.

JPM has got a GREAT seat in F1 and still cannot perform. He fncked last nights race and even if you ignore the start, he had NO pace. Thus again a one lap wonder.

I personally believe Webber in THAT Williams would be consistently faster as he makes a pathetic Jaguar look okay. The other thing is that MW has consistently destroyed his team mate (with a couple of bad race exceptions) but JPM has not done that at all.

Thus I will answer this question directly:

NO!, he has got the second best car, that is all!. Lets see who I think is a better driver: MS (obviously), Alonso, Kimi, Webber, Trulli (another one lap wonder, but he did good yesterday), Frenzten (and my opinion of Frenzten is not very high), possibly the Minardi drivers and maybe even Fissi (who I also have a low opinion of), Hieldfield and on some days RB ... but I am loosing respect for RB every race.

Pete
    ps: The only thing against JPM at the moment is Frank Williams inability to support his drivers. Thus if JPM has any talent at all he has made the correct move to McLaren to be handled like a child by Ron Dennis. Ron has made winners out of many only okay drivers ... so it will be interesting to see if JPM has the intelligence to listen to the master.

5. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Even on the first lap the McLaren cars were not even next to him. Maybe you were confusing JPM with Ralf? Stop making stuff up. He had a crappy launch. How could he even deny that? Maybe it was mechanical, maybe it was driver. Who knows. Still doesn't mean the McLaren cars were next to him.

6. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    What is your evidence that the Williams is the second best car? I see very little evidence to support that position. It is arguable that BOTH BAR and Renault have a better car than Williams at this point in the season. For the second half of the year I think Williams clearly had the better car. During that time JPM drove the piss out of it. In 2002, when Williams was the 2nd best car. JPM drove the piss out of it. I'm not sure where you are going with all this...

7. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    You did realize that he retired due to brake trouble that he had since the early part of the race, right? Do you think that might have been affecting his pace? For the MW teammate analogy. Do you rate MW's teammates at the same level as RS? It seems clear that RS is a better driver than virtually any of MW's teammates. I mean, the dude does have race wins and poles to his name. Do you understand that it is harder to destroy your teammate if they are decent? Once again, I agree that MW is a top tier driver in a 2nd tier car. Some of these comparisons are a bit of a stretch though.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes to all your points :), except I'm not sure that RS is better than Klien. Yes RS has won races but on those days the Williams was by far the best car ... so if Klien was in the car would he have won?. I still do not see a WC in JPM. I find when I go to a track or watch any form of motorsport that you can see straight away the ones who have got it and those that haven't. I could be wrong but I just do not think JPM has it.

BAR have never won a race (Honda's engines have I admit) ... Williams have won plenty. Renault have won 2 championships when they were Benetton, and their engines have won a few, but Williams have won plenty.

Thus if I was a driver I would go for the Williams seat, because Williams know how to win WC's and develop the car FAR better than BAR or Renault.

It is good to see BAR and Renault going well, but I expect Williams to be the one to raise their game and take it to Ferrari.

Wanting to win is one thing, knowing how to win is a completely different thing. Look at Ferrari for 21 years ... they forgot how to win!

Pete

9. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wow, Mr. Payne, your last name isn't Montoya, is it?!?!

I'm not "making stuff up". THe point I was trying to get across to Asianbond, that you obviously ignored, was that just because DC and KR are handcuffed to a subpar car, they still drove the crap out of them. Ability does not disappear with a lesser car, as he was trying to say. It was easy to see they got more out of their cars than Whiny P Montoya got with his - same song, second verse. Oh, and by the way, since YOU seem to be makin' stuff up now, the only time JPM drove the piss out of anything is when he is in the lead and in a flawless car. Anything less and he gets bored, does stupid things, and plays the blame game.

If you think these are all great qualities in a driver, more power to ya, go knock yourself out. I fear you will find yourself in a small minority who are constantly butting heads with those who truly understand and love the sport, it's history, and it's heritage.

Speaking of getting bored, I am done with this thread. Maybe if we ignore him, he will go away. Naw, that would be another FIA conspiracy - more pissing, more moaning, sigh......

Peace,
    Jim

10. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    JPM needs to shut up, put his head down, and just drive. He could still be the heir-apparent to MS, but that is not a given, what with Raikonnen, Button, and Alonso out there.

11. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne

12. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I can never get why when a non-favorite driver wins or does well you guys only credit the car, yet when he does bad you only blame the driver and not the car.

You guys must be the greatest judge of talent, otherwise I can't believe how stupid Williams-BMW was in hiring JPM and even more stupid for Mclaren to sign JPM to a new contract. I mean what do these team bosses know about F1 talent? They have the power to hire any driver they please but for some reason they hire the one lap wonder JPM

I assure you that MS is not an angel on the track, he's just fortunate that he powers to be give him the benefit of the doubt for all occasions, remember how Michael Jordan used to get all the gimme foul calls?

I rather give JPM credit for speaking up. Never said he wasn't a hot head, sure he could handle things better but I truly think all the dislike everyone has for him is solely due to his cocky swagger, no one will say it but I think that plays a big part in everyone's opinion. If he look and sounded like Kimi or Webber, everyone would be applauding him for having balls to speak up.

I think the biggest mistake JPM made was spinning on his own while in the lead in last year's melbourne race, that was a bonehead move. But give the guy credit for being in the lead in the first place.

Can anyone explain what happen to Couthard, wasn't he a top driver at one point?

13. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Coulthard is a good driver, but certainly not a great one. I never thought he was Championship winning material, he is more like a Barichello, or a Gerhard Berger.....playing the supporting role.

14. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    1. Why, oh why, would the FIA give MS an advantage on calls. They CHANGED THE RULES to slow him and Ferrari down! (Didn't work, but that is another topic.) If they are willing to change the rules, they have got to be willing to make a call against him. Has it occured to you that MS knows exactly what the rules are and that he makes sure he stays within them.

2. Folks here don't dislike Montoya for his cocky swagger. They dislike him because he is cocky and has nothing to back it up with but his own little Matchbox car fantasies. I happen to agree with you about the fact that he must have some talent if he is getting top drives like he is, but, after the San Marino press confrence I lost all respect I had for him and now feel that he is wasting what talent he does have crying about what could have been.

15. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    That's rich, what do Ron and Frank know about F1?

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not true, but I have yet to see JPM carry a bad car home. Remember the Williams is not that bad-a car.

Good point!, I guess Ron can see something I cannot see. I always was confused about his support for Hakenin ... and he eventually did win, but it took a **** load of effort and a 'gifted' first win to do it.

Ofcourse he isn't, no top racing driver is an angel. Nice guys really do finish last in motor sport.

We are all only interested in his on track performances, could not give a **** about speaking up. Mansell used to piss me right off with his moaning, etc.

Coulthard did look like he had promise at first, but then it became obvious that he lacked something ... utter belief in himself I think!

Pete

17. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    DC could have been a contender. Could have been. He reminds me of half of my high school football team. "Awww we won't win, so why try?" Too bad for DC.