Euro Spec v. U.S. Spec 355 | FerrariChat

Euro Spec v. U.S. Spec 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by LA Swede, Dec 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I have been thinking lately about getting my first Ferrari. The 328 seems like a good starter car, but I am sold on the 355 F1 Spider. I have seen a few Euro spec cars out there and they seem to be about $15-20K less than a U.S. spec with similar mileage and vintage. Is there any reason not to buy a Euro spec car if the car has been converted to U.S. specs and is street legal in California? Are there problems with emissions due to the conversion or what is the reason for the discount on the Euro cars?

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferrari dealers are loath to service them, no warentees, and by the time you get it converted, you will have saved very little money.

3. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    LA Swede,

I have a Euro car that went through the conversion process and I am very happy with it. There must be dealers that don't like to work on them (as everyone mentions this as a negative) but my local dealer has absolutely no problems. The head mechanic there told me that Ferrari makes "a world class - no matter where you buy it". It is true that the conversion null and voids the factory warranty but on a 355 it will already have expired on the US models so there isn't much of a loss here. You need to make sure that the conversion was done by a respectable company but, apart from that, I would say go for it - from my own experience.

Good Luck!

4. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    ...selling cars in dPR:

http://www.euroautoinvestments.net/home.asp

they had some nice 355 Spider Euro cars, reasonably priced. including the conversion and everything else, EPA and DOT papers, claiming it can be registered in any state.

does anyone have any experience dealing with these guys? heard anything?

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I sure don't see any DEALS on that site!!