Ferrari Factory Q's... | FerrariChat

Ferrari Factory Q's...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Those of you who have visited the factory the last few years... a few questions, please:

1) How many 360s were in progress the day you were there? (rough estimate)

2) What modules come into the factory assembled elsewhere?
    a) Did you see the engine block being assembled anywhere?
    b) Did you see panels being painted anywhere?
    c) etc.

3) What different areas of the factory did they describe?

4) Did anyone mention how long it takes a car to move through any of the areas or through the factory as a whole.

I'm just doing a little supply chain modeling...

Thanks,

Brian

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    1) How many 360s were in progress the day you were there? (rough estimate): the full V8 line + a few on the V12 line (which is actually mixed). I did not count, but I'd say a dozen on the V8 line and 2 on the V12. What I do remember is that the line moves at about 1.5 cars per hour (1 station every 40 minutes), but I don't know how many shifts/work days/work weeks they do.

2) What modules come into the factory assembled elsewhere? The full bare body comes from the Carroseria Scaglietti (no doors, no glass of course). This is the start of the line.

a) Did you see the engine block being assembled anywhere? Only the final assembly line, not the machining shop.

b) Did you see panels being painted anywhere? Nope, no access, but I believe that it is all done at Carrosseria Scaglietti.

c) etc. What is done next to the assy line is the interior parts leather cutting and stitching. They were very proud of their leather laser cutting machine, while it's rather old tech. They said that their carbon shop only does F1 parts, all commercial cars carbon parts are done at subcons.

3) What different areas of the factory did they describe? Describe or let you visit ? They show you a map of the whole plant, but you get to visit the final assy line, the leather shop, and the engine final assy shop. I don't know what the recent extended tours consist of.

4) Did anyone mention how long it takes a car to move through any of the areas or through the factory as a whole. Final assy takes at least a day for a V8, really not fast. They churn out 1 Enzo a day and there are 5 assy stations if I remember well

I'm just doing a little supply chain modeling... => I'd suggest looking at raw number, 4200 cars, 3000 V8s and 1200 V12s or something like that. If you are wondering about the delay on your damaged 360CS, you have to wonder what is the limiting factor, and it's probably up in the supply chain at the Carroseria Scaglietti (especially for a Titanium CS, I saw only red and blue ones being assembled).
    My guess would be that the paint runs are the limiting factor, and that titanium being an unfrequent color for 360/360CS, the paint production runs in that color are unfrequent too.